Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 07-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
ShaderZ

GTA IV Crashes on Windows 7

Hi all,
I just purchased this game a while back. I have this problem where the game hangs and goes into a blank screen after a few minutes. I've tried to set it to administrator and set it to windows xp compatiblity but it does not seem to work. I've tried to alt-tab out of the game but my computer seems to have hanged as well. I have to manually restart it. It seems that I'm able to run it on lower resolution 800X600 but not on 1920x1080. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel(R)Core(TM)i5-3470 CPU@3.20GHz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
RAM: 8GB

Can anyone help me with this thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Bad_Motha

Banned
Do not set the game to run in Compatibility Mode (other then RUN AS ADMIN) because there is no reason to. XP Mode shouldn't be used because this is a DX10 game. Forcing XP Mode will force DX9 mode to be used.

Make sure Steam Overlay / Steam Community is turned off for this game, and that anything you have that uses DX Overlay, such as Fraps or MSI Afterburner is closed out. As well as any background process related to Logitech. Otherwise the game will crash. And it also does not like when you ALT+TAB. You can do it but in order to do it without crashing you should ESC to MAP/Options Screen first, then ALT+TAB if needed.

Be sure you are not forcing V-Sync in AMD Catalyst and that V-Sync is turned off in-game.

You will need the latest of these...

> Microsoft Games for Windows Client
> DirectX Redist (June 2010)
> Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (x86 and x64)
> Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86 and x64)
> .NET Framework 3.5/4.0 (update them via Windows Updates)

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 07-16-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series