Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
FF.GHoST61
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 262
Posts: 794
"MotioninJoy" dangerous ?

So i want to use my ps3 controller for my pc, this way > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87iLvk5PjA

Is there any risk of getting a vac ban if i play on vac protected games for doing this ?
FF.GHoST61 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
ICantShoot
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Reputation: 415
Posts: 5,906
VAC bans for cheats only, not programgs such as this.
ICantShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Satoru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 5122
Posts: 10,927
I consider MotionInJoy to be 'at best' adware, at worst Chinese Spyware.

This supposed 'driver' program only works if you're online, and continuously spits out ads to you via their control panel program.

YOu won't get VAC banned, but I wouldn't touch that POS.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3396
Posts: 9,064
Trying to Idle a bit in TF2??

It's like the third time i see people asking for MotioninJoy since Valve changed TF2 idling rules.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Satoru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 5122
Posts: 10,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
Trying to Idle a bit in TF2??

It's like the third time i see people asking for MotioninJoy since Valve changed TF2 idling rules.
Oh is this why everyone is asking? What are the new rules anyway?

Still not sure why installing Chinese Spyware is the 'solution' to this problem .... are they jigglign the joystick? We're really old school now as I used to have some weird program that would move the mouse diagonally to trick some program into giving me some amount of money. Over a few doszone computers that asn't too bad money :P

Last edited by Satoru: 07-21-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
ddrkreature
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 205
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
I consider MotionInJoy to be 'at best' adware, at worst Chinese Spyware.

This supposed 'driver' program only works if you're online, and continuously spits out ads to you via their control panel program.

YOu won't get VAC banned, but I wouldn't touch that POS.
There is an offline mode for MotionJoy. also, you don't need to keep the program running. you just have to open it to enable the emulation and you can close it right after and still have the controller work. It's not spyware and it is not dangerous.

Last edited by ddrkreature: 07-21-2013 at 10:15 AM.
ddrkreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3396
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Oh is this why everyone is asking? What are the new rules anyway?
No multiple instances of the game running.
No third party software to bypass idle detection.
Since you are now forced to click the new drop notification in order to get more drops, idlers are setting up their anti-idle with stuff like autohotkey & MotioninJoy to auto-accept the notifications.
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=11105

I feel we'll be seeing a incoming banwave of idlers on the future weeks.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
FF.GHoST61
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 262
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
Trying to Idle a bit in TF2??

It's like the third time i see people asking for MotioninJoy since Valve changed TF2 idling rules.
Seriously, you think i got nothing better to do then "idle" in tf2 for ???? reason.
I haven't played tf2 for a long while now , lol.

I only wanted it to play Mortal Kombat kollection , but i was afraid that the driver thing is always running in the background and might mess with vac protected games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrkreature View Post
There is an offline mode for MotionJoy. also, you don't need to keep the program running. you just have to open it to enable the emulation and you can close it right after and still have the controller work. It's not spyware and it is not dangerous.
Thanks for a proper response.

Last edited by FF.GHoST61: 07-21-2013 at 12:10 PM.
FF.GHoST61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #9
Achibot
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Reputation: 68
Posts: 137
Had a quick look at this program just now and it would seem to employ hooks into D3D. For this alone you could be banned. Also it is complete scumware. You'd need to be a strange mix of daft and desperate to use this.
Achibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
FF.GHoST61
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 262
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achibot View Post
Had a quick look at this program just now and it would seem to employ hooks into D3D. For this alone you could be banned. Also it is complete scumware. You'd need to be a strange mix of daft and desperate to use this.
I'l just get xbox controller for pc then, thanks for your reply.
FF.GHoST61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Satoru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 5122
Posts: 10,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrkreature View Post
There is an offline mode for MotionJoy. also, you don't need to keep the program running. you just have to open it to enable the emulation and you can close it right after and still have the controller work. It's not spyware and it is not dangerous.
No there are HACKS to make it work offline

Otherwise the offline mode as shipped, disables most of the functionality of the drivers

The program then servers ads to you in the control panel program you're forced to use online

"Charitably" you can call it adware. Which is utterly amusing since most people scream aobut Origin and uPlay, then somehow think this program is ok?

Last edited by Satoru: 07-26-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
ddrkreature
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 205
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
No there are HACKS to make it work offline

Otherwise the offline mode as shipped, disables most of the functionality of the drivers

The program then servers ads to you in the control panel program you're forced to use online

"Charitably" you can call it adware. Which is utterly amusing since most people scream aobut Origin and uPlay, then somehow think this program is ok?
Be paranoid about it if you wish, but I haven't had anything bad happen since I started using it a couple years ago. Just because you don't like ads doesn't make something dangerous to use. They're annoying, yes, but it's how the project stays supported being that it is free use. No one forces you to click on them.

As for that offline mode...Look at the program and tell me what that "Local" button means to you. Because to me, I see no ads and a fully functioning controller

Last edited by ddrkreature: 07-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
ddrkreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
flarn2006
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 74
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
No multiple instances of the game running.
No third party software to bypass idle detection.
Since you are now forced to click the new drop notification in order to get more drops, idlers are setting up their anti-idle with stuff like autohotkey & MotioninJoy to auto-accept the notifications.
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=11105

I feel we'll be seeing a incoming banwave of idlers on the future weeks.
But I use autohotkey and I haven't been banned. (No, not for idling.)
flarn2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Seyiji
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Reputation: 19
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrkreature View Post
Be paranoid about it if you wish, but I haven't had anything bad happen since I started using it a couple years ago. Just because you don't like ads doesn't make something dangerous to use. They're annoying, yes, but it's how the project stays supported being that it is free use. No one forces you to click on them.

As for that offline mode...Look at the program and tell me what that "Local" button means to you. Because to me, I see no ads and a fully functioning controller
When those ads are supposedly being served using ieframe via a configuration program that is run in admin mode people tend to get a bit paranoid about security and for good reason. Just because you think everything is fine doesn't make the threat any less dangerous.
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Sobol14
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 6
Posts: 124
I don't know about VAC, but this motionjoy crap killed my 2 usb slots and almost forced me to reinstall my system.
And no, it's not my fault, I did everything exactly as their manual said.

Bottom line: don't use this piece of garbage, it may work great for some people, but it may leave you with nasty scar on your system.
Sobol14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.