Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Archmage MC

How to Optimize Your Team Fortress 2 Guide

This guide was made for Windows based users. Some things may be different if you are a MAC or Linux user.

Network Optimization

1. Go into your C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common]Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\My Custom Stuff\cfg folder (Or create all missing folders)

2. Make a new text file named Autoexec

3. Change the file extension to .cfg
-See Question 3 if you need to enable viewing of known file extensions.

4. Open the file using Notepad or other text editors.
-See Question 4 if your computer doesn't know what to use in order to open the .cfg you just made.

5. Add these lines to the .cfg file.
Code:
cl_updaterate 100
cl_cmdrate 100
rate 60000 
cl_interp_ratio -1 
cl_interp .015
cl_smooth  0 
cl_smoothtime 0
6. Save

7. Restart TF2 if it was already open.

8. Enjoy having optimized network settings IE your shots register better.

Auto Crouch Jump Script
This is optional, but makes you more difficult to hit when jumping, especially by snipers.

1. Go into your C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common]Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\My Custom Stuff\cfg folder (Or create all missing folders)

2. Make new text files named Demoman, Engineer, Heavyweapons, Medic, Pyro, Scout, Sniper, Soldier, Spy and Default

3. Change the extension to all of these files to .cfg

4. Place this line in each class cfg (the Demoman,Engineer, Heavyweapons, Medic, Pyro, Scout, Sniper, Soldier, Spy files you just made.)

Code:
exec Default
5. Add these lines to the Default.cfg
Code:
alias "+jumpehs" "+jump; +duck"
alias "-jumpehs" "-duck; -jump"
bind "space" "+jumpehs"
5b Alternately you can add the above script into each class .cfg separately.

6. Save each one you complete.

7. Restart TF2

8. Now whenever you jump, you also crouch. Pushing space twice will make you crouch twice in the air, causing your hitbox to become very distorted and making you harder to hit/track.

Anti-Pinion Script

2. Create a text file named Protect

3. Change the extension to .cfg

4. Open the file and add these lines to it.
*Not made by me.

Code:
//------------------------------------------------
// TF2 Anti-Virus by Casual v1.0
//------------------------------------------------

// Protection against server_can_execute bypass
// Make your cfg/config.cfg read-only for extra protection
cl_allowupload 1
alias cl_allowupload "echo Blocked cl_allowupload!"
alias clear "echo Blocked clear!"
alias unbindall "echo Blocked unbindall!"

// Adblock for motd, extra protection:
// > Create an empty file in your tf directory named textwindow_temp.html and make it read-only (this prevents the motd from being saved & loaded)
// > Add '127.0.0.1 motd.pinion.gg' to your hosts file. This prevents a well known motd advertising network to load
cl_disablehtmlmotd 1
alias closed_htmlpage "echo Blocked pinion!"

// Gets rid of servers playing annoying sound files
//alias play "echo Blocked play!"
//alias sndplaydelay "echo Blocked sndplaydelay!"
//alias playgamesound "echo Blocked playgamesound!"
//alias soundfade "echo Blocked soundfade!"

// Servers don't need this
alias cl_spec_mode
alias rpt_connect
alias r_screenoverlay
*Note: the // excludes a line from being read as a script by the game. Remove // if you want to enable that line, but its not recommended. For example, if you enable the Alias play, Alias sndplaydelay, alias playgamesound, and alias soundfade lines, game music will be turned off.

*Note: If you make your config.cfg Read Only, you will be unable to save new keybinds, options set in the option menu, completed tutorials, and the like.

5. Save

6. Add this line to Autoexec.cfg, it doesn't matter where as long as its on its own line.

Code:
exec Protect
7. Save

8. Restart TF2

9. Enjoy Pinion not being as big of an annoyance, as well as being protected from a lot of malicious server commands.

Useful Class Scripts

To be added.

Questions

Q1. What do all of these scripts do?

A1. The first script optimizes the TF2 network settings. This means that you will be able to hit people more reliably, be hit a bit less often since you update your position better, and everyone will be a little smoother in movemeny.
-The Second Script helps you Duckjump, a technique used by high level competitive players to make them harder to hit and track. The downside is that its more difficult to do jumping Rocket/sticky jumps as you always crouch when you jump.
-The Third Script blocks a lot of commands that Pinion and malicious servers use to annoy you or break your game.
-Class Scripts help automate what you want to do. For some classes this is preferred over doing it yourself, but for other classes it is detrimental. What each class script does and if its good or bad for your game will be listed under the script.

Q2. Wont I get banned for using scripts?

A2. No. These are commands that Valve allows you to use. You will only be banned for using external programs on VAC secured games. (IE, Cheat Engine)

Q3. How do I enable viewing Known File Extensions?

A3. Go into your Control Panel > Folder Options > View. Scroll down the list that is given until you see a checkbox that says "Hide Known File Extensions". Uncheck this. Hit Apply and Ok and now you should see the file extensions of all known file types.

*Note: Do NOT change a file extension unless specified in this guide, otherwise the file may not work correctly. Windows will tell you this when you attempt to do so.

Q4. How do I open a .cfg file in a Text editor? My Computer says it doesn't know what to open that file with.

A4. Click the bubble that says "I'll choose what program to open this file with." Once there, click the down arrow to show a bunch of programs. Click on the program that says "Notepad". Click ok. Now you should have the .cfg opened up in Notepad.

Leave any Questions or Comments below. If you want to recommend scripts, the script must NOT use the Wait command.

Last edited by Archmage MC: 07-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
magohipnosis

Useful spy scripts by stabby stabby are a good choice. You may just link the thread.
magohipnosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Euphytose

cl_updaterate 100 = Anything above 66.6 is useless
cl_cmdrate 100 = Anything above 66.6 is useless
rate 60000 = There's no use in setting a limit if your connection is normal, just set 99999999 so you're not limited in data transfert.
cl_interp_ratio -1 = 1 for projectiles, 2 for hitscan
cl_interp .015 = 0, it auto selects the best value depending on the ratio
cl_smooth 0 = Totally stupid, it makes your jumps jitter, knockback too, etc...
cl_smoothtime 0 = The minimum value is 0.01, this will have zero effect whatsoever especially with cl_smooth 0
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Automaton458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
rate 60000 = There's no use in setting a limit if your connection is normal, just set 99999999 so you're not limited in data transfert.
cl_interp .015 = 0, it auto selects the best value depending on the ratio 0.034 for hitscan classes (especially for Sniper and Amby Spies), 0.015 for the others
cl_smooth 0 = Totally stupid, it makes your jumps jitter, knockback too, etc... Setting cl_smooth at 0 helps solving stuttering issues, you know, these moments when you're stu-tu-tu-tu-tuck for 3 seconds with looping sound
cl_smoothtime 0 = The minimum value is 0.01, this will have zero effect whatsoever especially with cl_smooth 0
Just my 2 cents.
Automaton458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Davjo #2

Crouch and Jump on one button can up Rocketjumps.
Davjo #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Yishai

Banned
Quote:
Except for a few hacked up servers that allow 100.

Also, aren't the optimal values dependent on your FPS? Like, your FPS should never dip below your rates? So if your FPS often dips into the lower 40s during fights and such, you should set them to 40.
Yishai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Archmage MC

Quote:
Some Servers allow for 100
Fair enough, though I don't think that'll matter since 60000 is already higher than the bandwidth you'd use.
-2 sets cl_interp to as low as it cna go.
cl_interp .015 = 0, it auto selects the best value depending on the ratio
Yep. Also for those who say .001 for projectiles and .033 for hitscan, thats what some people prefer and have gotten used to. Me? I'd rather have the action happen the moment I click the button instead of having a delay.
cl_smooth 0 = Totally stupid, it makes your jumps jitter, knockback too, etc...
These FIX the problems your describing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davjo #2 View Post
Crouch and Jump on one button can up Rocketjumps.
Hence why I said that it might cause problems with you trying to normal rocket jump but always crouch rocket jumping. Though tbh, I hardly ever used the normal jump variant, you can just shoot a bit back and get the same height at a better angle, then push back when you want to land.
Archmage MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Davjo #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage MC View Post
Hence why I said that it might cause problems with you trying to normal rocket jump but always crouch rocket jumping. Though tbh, I hardly ever used the normal jump variant, you can just shoot a bit back and get the same height at a better angle, then push back when you want to land.
Specific Trickjumps or VERY TIGHT maps (Junction) require normal Rocket Jumps.
Davjo #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
Archmage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davjo #2 View Post
Specific Trickjumps or VERY TIGHT maps (Junction) require normal Rocket Jumps.
To be honest, who plays on junction for more than a few minutes?
Archmage MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Euphytose

If your up and cmd rates are at 66, you're already gonna get about 30ms lerp with cl_interp_ratio 2 and cl_interp 0.

You're also gonna get about 15 with cl_interp_ratio 1 and cl_interp 0.

If set to 66, fps should be at 67 or above.

About cl_smooth, that's just wrong, it doesn't fix stuttering at all.

Just try to play against a natascha when it's disabled.

It fixes predictions errors, which tend to happen when you rocket jump, get knockbacked, or slowed down.

Using cl_interp 0 and only playing with the ratio guarantees an optimal result since it's based automatically on your rates.

When playing on rare 100tick, just change your rates (not all the time), to 100, and your interp will change accordingly without you needing to do anything.

If I were them I'd completely ditch cl_interp and only let people change the ratio.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Maxillaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage MC View Post
You should never use a crouch jump script when rocket or sticky jumping.
Maxillaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
dkwon8715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxillaws View Post
Don't you think that's blatantly obvious?

Give the man a break, he made a nice guide.

And if you ever want to include fps configs go for it
dkwon8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Maxillaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwon8715 View Post
Don't you think that's blatantly obvious?

Give the man a break, he made a nice guide.

And if you ever want to include fps configs go for it
If you look at what I quoted he said he almost always uses a croucb jump script while rocket jumping.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
hirou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxillaws View Post
Why not?
hirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Maxillaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirou View Post
Why not?
Severly limits your options when rocket jumping. You get the same static jump and become predictable.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2