Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
KrissyRawrz

Unhappy There NEEDS to be mention on the store page of games if it has subtitles!

Please sign the petition here

Oh my goodness..We Now Have An Article! Please Click Here To View It! (a big thank you to Ben Parfitt @ MCV)

And another article! Thanks to my friend Patrick View The Other Article Here

I'm actually incredibly upset by this.

I have a hearing issue, which I'm sure a LOT of people in the gaming community do, and even those who don't seem to prefer games with subtitles enabled.

There NEEDS to be a mention on store pages if the game includes subtitles and in which languages, it doesn't take much, just another thing written in the language section.

The amount of money I spend on things that end up being unplayable for me because of there being no subs is ridiculous.

It's a law now that DVD's include subtitles, there should be at least a mere mention if a game does or does not on a store page.

I've just had to file a support ticket as yet another thing I've purchased doesn't have subtitles and honestly I'm sick of it, sorry if I seem annoyed whilst suggesting this but I'm sure you can understand my frustration :/

I'm at the point I have to try and find people who own a game I want so I can ask them to check for me if the game has a subtitle option...I shouldn't have to do this.

Edit - I'd like to point out as one of the comments said it's not only people with hearing problems that will benefit from this, but people from other countries or who speak different languages too. I do believe the store should tell us what languages subtitles are available so everyone who needs them can get the perfect games for them.

I'm currently in the process of starting a petition, I'll put the link up here when it's available if anyone wishes to sign I appreciate everyone's help, thanks!

Finished petition link > http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...the-store-page

Decided to go all out with this really, we may as well try huh? Made a group to keep ontop of things, feel free to join here > http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Subs4Us

Last edited by KrissyRawrz: 07-29-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Tito Shivan

First, there's no need to put the text on big letters, really.
Second, as much as i can simpathize you, you never thought on making a quick google search for the info before spending again money on a game you won't be able to enjoy? (Just a friendly advice)

Back to topic... AFAIK what's displayed on the Steam Store page is usually the same that the publisher displays on their website/retail boxes. So my guess is that the info is just provided to Steam by the publisher. We'd better nagging them to provide the info than Steam.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
freeman4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
Back to topic... AFAIK what's displayed on the Steam Store page is usually the same that the publisher displays on their website/retail boxes. So my guess is that the info is just provided to Steam by the publisher. We'd better nagging them to provide the info than Steam.
Yes, but I don't think it would too much trouble to ask the developers to provide this little piece of information to display on the games store page. The more the information provided in ONE area the better.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4all View Post
Yes, but I don't think it would too much trouble to ask the developers to provide this little piece of information to display on the games store page. The more the information provided in ONE area the better.
I wasn't saying it's much trouble, i was trying to say it might be better and faster to ask the publisher to provide the info; instead of asking Steam to ask the publisher (taking the shortest road)

There's many people that could benefit from that info being displayed.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
KrissyRawrz

Quote:
First, there's no need to put the text on big letters, really.
Second, as much as i can simpathize you, you never thought on making a quick google search for the info before spending again money on a game you won't be able to enjoy? (Just a friendly advice)

I enlarge my font for those with sight issues.

And what the person below you said, they should provide this information, or steam should make it so that they have to provide this information.

It is too much trouble to google when you purchase the amount of games I do, ontop of that google doesn't always have the answers.

I don't understand why people who need subtitles should have to go to extra effort having to google search each game before a purchase, really that's asking a bit too much, it should be a fair treatment throughout the community.
KrissyRawrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
KrissyRawrz

Quote:
I wasn't saying it's much trouble, i was trying to say it might be better and faster to ask the publisher to provide the info; instead of asking Steam to ask the publisher (taking the shortest road)

There's many people that could benefit from that info being displayed.
Ask the publisher of what, exactly? It should state on store pages if games have subtitles or not for all games, therefore as far as I'm aware steam should be the ones who get the information from the publisher of a game..it's not going to be quicker or easier arguing with all the publishers.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
zh_kane

I'll say the same thing here as in the colorblind thread, it should definitely show that sort of information on the store page.

it would be good for PR so they could say they cater to those groups of people,
would lead to less support tickets wanting refunds for games that are unplayable for certain people,
it would lead to more sales (I know personally I've intentionally not bought games because I've been unable to find out whether it has colorblind mode or not)
and it would be as simple as valve sending out an email to all publishers in their list saying "we're adding this information to the store to help you guys sell more, please edit your store page information, in the meantime we leave it set to the default which is off"
it might cause a little backlash in the short term but overall in the long run would be a plus for pretty much everyone involved

and worst case scenario, it's not possible for valve to ask the publishers for that information.
they borrow one of the support staff or hire an extra intern and pay them minimum wage to play each new release on steam for 1 hour, making note of if the game has subtitles, what languages, windowed mode, colorblind mode, FOV options, controller support, multiplayer etc etc etc, and possibly more importantly to see if the game is even playable. there are numerous games in recent memory that have had major game breaking bugs that could have been caught by a tiny bit of quality control on valves part before game releases. just think for a second about how much time and money that would save valve when it comes to support tickets

rant over, thanks for reading
zh_kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyRawrz View Post
I enlarge my font for those with sight issues.
Yet you leave this post at the usual font size?
There really is no need to do that anyway. Since any capable browser is able to automatically increase or decrease the font size at user's request.
You've broken the visual consistency by making a post larger, yet keeping the rest smaller. Users which can see the first post well, can't see this, and if they enlarge the font to see these ones, the OP becomes obnoxiously large.

Personally, i just believe you used a bigger font for the sake of "HEY LOOK AT ME, BIG LETTERS & STUFF".

Quote:
It is too much trouble to google when you purchase the amount of games I do, ontop of that google doesn't always have the answers.
It's your call, i consider far more trouble finding a game doesn't have subtitles after i've spent my money on it. Then feel like i've wasted money, then have to go through support loops and hoops in order to get my money back... if that ever becomes possible.
And google might not have the answer, but making a simple question on the appropiate Steam subforum/community Gamehub is faster and cleaner than all of that.

Quote:
I don't understand why people who need subtitles should have to go to extra effort having to google search each game before a purchase, really that's asking a bit too much, it should be a fair treatment throughout the community.
Quote:
Ask the publisher of what, exactly? It should state on store pages if games have subtitles or not for all games, therefore as far as I'm aware steam should be the ones who get the information from the publisher of a game..it's not going to be quicker or easier arguing with all the publishers.
What you both don't understand is that by making the suggestion/complain here, you're already walking that extra mile... The game publishers are not going to come down here to read your request. and Steam isn't going to walk that extra mile for you either.

Besides, taking it to the publisher makes the issue more general.
Making Steam request the info and publish it on the store will only benefit Steam users. The rest of hearing-impaired customers that don't buy the game here, are equally screwed.

Take it to the publisher, and make them put it on their product (not just forward it to steam) then the info becomes avaiableon all channels. Then the info will equally avaiable to all impaired users, regardless of them using steam or not.

Gamers happy everywherem not jus Steam users.

Take the claim where the issue is. And the issue is the publisher not advertising that feature, ever. Not just not on Steam.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
KrissyRawrz

Quote:
Yet you leave this post at the usual font size?
There really is no need to do that anyway. Since any capable browser is able to automatically increase or decrease the font size at user's request.
You've broken the visual consistency by making a post larger, yet keeping the rest smaller. Users which can see the first post well, can't see this, and if they enlarge the font to see these ones, the OP becomes obnoxiously large.

Personally, i just believe you used a bigger font for the sake of "HEY LOOK AT ME, BIG LETTERS & STUFF".
It's up to you what you think, but this obviously has nothing to do with my suggestion so I'm disregarding it.

Quote:
It's your call, i consider far more trouble finding a game doesn't have subtitles after i've spent my money on it. Then feel like i've wasted money, then have to go through support loops and hoops in order to get my money back... if that ever becomes possible.
And google might not have the answer, but making a simple question on the appropiate Steam subforum/community Gamehub is faster and cleaner than all of that.
Actually, that's wrong when people have a large game count, your games list isn't that small, I can imagine you wouldn't like having to spend time researching every game you wish to play rather than playing it. I've asked on subforums before, that's a lengthy process, and as far as I'm aware unneeded, there should be an option specifying it in the first place.

Quote:
What you both don't understand is that by making the suggestion/complain here, you're already walking that extra mile... The game publishers are not going to come down here to read your request. and Steam isn't going to walk that extra mile for you either.
So I shouldn't do anything other than google my off? :P This isn't a complaint, it's a suggestion, and you're not really adding to it, you're just picking at random things because you can. "Both" I'm going to gather is the person who commented below you. If steam didn't listen to its users what's the point in this suggestion forum? You're basically saying nobody should suggest anything, which is quite frankly ridiculous. Also if steam didn't listen to its users the whole platform would be a LOT different today.

Quote:
Besides, taking it to the publisher makes the issue more general.
Making Steam request the info and publish it on the store will only benefit Steam users. The rest of hearing-impaired customers that don't buy the game here, are equally screwed.
I'm not talking to the publisher of every game to make people aware, that's just silly lol. It's not just people who have a hearing issue, there should be a mention of what subtitle languages are available, there are millions of people from different countries on steam. And you honestly think things which will benefit people with hearing issues mean they won't buy them? :P I'm sorry but I don't understand where you're coming from, at all

Quote:
Take it to the publisher, and make them put it on their product (not just forward it to steam) then the info becomes avaiableon all channels. Then the info will equally avaiable to all impaired users, regardless of them using steam or not.
I did do with this specific purchase, but if you read my suggestion you'd understand I mean every purchase

Quote:
Gamers happy everywherem not jus Steam users.

Take the claim where the issue is. And the issue is the publisher not advertising that feature, ever. Not just not on Steam.
Yeah..well, suggesting an issue for me in the suggestion forum is where the issue kinda is :P don't think I'm not doing other things because I am, but it's my right to voice my opinion here, if you have nothing productive to add I'd like you to please stop commenting.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
HitDeity

In this day and age (of information), seriously, how hard is it for this type of information to be included with a game. ALL publishers should make it standard. I mean, languages, necessary disc space, system requirements, and a whole host of way more difficult information is gathered ahead of time, but you mean to tell me that pubs can't indicate a yes/no answer to Closed Captioning? Come on.

It's just a matter of pubs just not caring and being ignorant of what people (end consumers) desire on their product. Certainly it can't hurt to suggest it here in the Suggestion Forum that Steam get on the ball and get this sort of information ahead of time. It's pretty simple. Simple solution, cheap implementation. The process starts here, indeed, but it wouldn't hurt for folks to let publishers know as well.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Aziroshin

Thumbs up

This is a very good idea, and I'd very much like to see this. Not because I have a hearing issue, although understanding certain English accents in games can be challenging at times.
It is simply because requiring that kind of information is easy for Steam as a publishing platform, cumbersome for the customers to research themselves, but of great benefit to some of them.

Suggestions:
  • Add a new game attribute, a "badge" if you so will, that signals that the game is playable in a fine way for deaf people. Have it displayed at least as an icon on the store page that people can hover over for additional information on what exactly it means, for instance.
  • Have the developers specify which of the game's languages they support properly towards that end.
  • Some games do not include language as a part of their gameplay, but audio might still be an important part of it. Make sure to have an "any" option for supported languages, or split the support for gameplay audio and languages into two sections.
  • Compile a rundown of what exactly the new game attribute means, so developers know what to consider and customers know what they are buying. For example:
    • Subtitles or other textual display (e.g. warning box) of spoken audio content.
    • Other audible signals that are a part of gameplay (indicators, warnings) being displayed visually as well.
  • Whilst some games might be naturally playable without audio anyway, on other games some of these features might be irritating to people that have no gameplay impairing hearing issues. Thus, it should not be required that these features be baked into the game hard, but be at least an option that can be turned on to get the "badge".

Last edited by Aziroshin: 07-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Aziroshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
KrissyRawrz

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziroshin View Post
This is a very good idea, and I'd very much like to see this. Not because I have a hearing issue, although understanding certain English accents in games can be challenging at times.
It is simply because requiring that kind of information is easy for Steam as a publishing platform, cumbersome for the customers to research themselves, but of great benefit to some of them.

Suggestions:
  • Add a new game attribute, a "badge" if you so will, that signals that the game is playable in a fine way for deaf people. Have it displayed at least as an icon on the store page that people can hover over for additional information on what exactly it means, for instance.
  • Have the developers specify which of the game's languages they support properly towards that end.
  • Some games do not include language as a part of their gameplay, but audio might still be an important part of it. Make sure to have an "any" option for supported languages, or split the support for gameplay audio and languages into two sections.
  • Compile a rundown of what exactly the new game attribute means, so developers know what to consider and customers know what they are buying. For example:
    • Subtitles or other textual display (e.g. warning box) of spoken audio content.
    • Other audible signals that are a part of gameplay (indicators, warnings) being displayed visually as well.
  • Whilst some games might be naturally playable without audio anyway, on other games some of these features might be irritating to people that have no gameplay impairing hearing issues. Thus, it should not be required that these features be baked into the game hard, but be at least an option that can be turned on to get the "badge".
Very nice suggestions thank you for your contribution to the thread.

I've noticed over the years even people from other countries use English subtitles if they can't understand the spoken language, I suppose it's easier to read

And as mentioned before a lot of people I come across like to use subtitles on their games even if they have perfect hearing as as you mentioned sometimes just certain accents etc are hard to understand and I really think games would benefit tremendously from this feature, as would Steam.

I'm sure not only the people who struggle with these issues would buy more and be less hesitant when purchasing or just giving up on a purchase entirely because the information they need just isn't available, but Steam would also welcome a wider variety of gamers, maybe even encourage people who've never played before to be part of the gaming community.

P.S, I love the badge idea :P
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Css.pro609

I agree.

Valve should add info on the store indicating if there's subtitles or not.
We are all gamers and we should all stick together and help each others out
Css.pro609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
MaximumBunny

You bring up a very interesting point, as does Mr. Aziro. I completely agree with your suggestions.
MaximumBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
BulletToothTony

I agree, why not have useful info on the game/movie that is fully subtitled supported. Also include other information, for example, like color blind support as well. To help out other gamers make their purchases.
BulletToothTony is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas