Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Old 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Applejack_AJ

Payday 2, Civilians. What are they for?

Hey just curious what reason civilians are for. Does the police assault take longer to arrive if you have more civilians tied up?

Right now it seems like they are just annoying NPCs that make you lose money when you shoot them. D: And tying them up only keeps them down.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
cr7camiao

A tied civilian can be traded to get a robber from custody when Bain finished negotiating with the police.
cr7camiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
unK

I saw that civilians can help you if you got incapped, but it's a skill in the Mastermind tree
unK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
c4ndle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejack_AJ View Post
Right now it seems like they are just annoying NPCs that make you lose money when you shoot them.
That's the point. If you don't want to lose money, don't turn a street into a battlefield.
c4ndle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Maverick

It's still excessive, though. I had 12k in my savings, decided to do Four Stores on hard, and 3 civilians just literally got up instantly and died before I could even do anything.

All my money. Gone. All of it. Not that it was a lot, but still. You lose way, way too much compared to the first PAYDAY.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Jwso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
You lose way, way too much compared to the first PAYDAY.
Then again, you did lose like 35 grand from killing civvies.
Jwso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
xeonzs

You tie them down to:
1. Have a hostage to trade
2. Try to stealth things so keep them from running/calling/alarming
3. prevent them from running infront of your targets
4. To not have them get back up when you go away

Really, it takes 1 seconds to ziptie a civi, 4 people can zip tie 8 people, that's like the majority of the civis on the hotspots.

It saves you distractions.
It saves you watching the background (anything moves you are free to shoot).
It saves you money by preventing accidents.

Using that 1 second to zip tie someone is worth your investement.
xeonzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
TheCombatMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwso View Post
Then again, you did lose like 35 grand from killing civvies.
That was nothing in Payday 1 because you can easily earn millions for finishing heists and earn more for objectives and challenges. Penalties were only deducted from your overall earnings, not your current pockets.

It's a lot harsher in this game because you earn very little when you start out and the civilian casualty penalty ramps up based on heist and difficulty. When you incur that penalty, it comes out of your pockets, therefore, the penalty is a lot harsher no matter if you succeed the heist or fail it.

I also like how everyone keeps saying "tie the civilians". If it were that easy of a solution, then we wouldn't have this problem, would we? Unless everyone gets the Cable Guy skill for more ties, everyone combined can only tie down 8 people and some levels have way more than that. Not to mention cops may arrive very quickly and you simply don't have the time or health to tie people down. It's like people are defending bad civilian AI as an excuse to rip on people for not tying them.
TheCombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Yogzula

i thought the assaults are shorter and less heavy when you have civilians under your control still as well. Any truth to this?
Yogzula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
MN121MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogzula View Post
i thought the assaults are shorter and less heavy when you have civilians under your control still as well. Any truth to this?
I'd say yes, for a portion of the assault squad is dedicated to rescuing tied civilians.....
MN121MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
SpecialKLSX

Having some perk that'd allow you to re-position tied hostages would be kinda nice...
SpecialKLSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Nihilista

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ndle View Post
That's the point. If you don't want to lose money, don't turn a street into a battlefield.
Sorry that I'm shooting bullets at cops and a civilian decides to come out of nowhere and run into the gunfire.
Also sorry that I'm smashing jewelry glass to grab the goods, and civilians stand up and get hit.
If it were possible to be more cautious about it, I would do it. But it's not. Because they DO come out of nowhere right into a bullet or arm.
Nihilista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Mario_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
You lose way, way too much compared to the first PAYDAY.
I think the amount is also a deterrent for potential trolls offing civilians left and right, trying to indirectly sabotage their teammates by escalating the police's response and summoning snipers to spawn. They suffer a much more substantial penalty now, rather than just increased custody time in Payday 1.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, it also means we suffer the same penalty for accidentally killing civilians.

Overkill really should increase the AI for civilians to address this; they still run like chickens with their heads cut off, straight into player's crosshairs and into the crossfire of firefights.
Mario_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Nihilista

Speaking of civilians getting shot...
I saw a swat actually shoot and kill a civilian on day 2 of Watchdogs last night. None of my teammates were around, I was not shooting, and one of the green swat shot the civilian that runs around on that map. Bain even made a comment about not killing civilians, even though it was law enforcement that did it. No cash penalty came up.
Thought it was funny to see.
Nihilista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
SR69MMJC

So what happens if you walk into a bank/store, murder everyone inside and still complete the heist? Do you just get +0 at the end or you can actually result in having less money than you did prior to start of the heist?
SR69MMJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist