Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
defred34

Banned
Not able to trade using my Web Browser!

Ok, so I heard that Steam released a new update with respect to a 15 day cooldown period to trade using the market on newly activated devices.

What I do not understand is, why am I not able to do so on my web browser? I deleted and reinstalled Steam just moments ago to see how it affects the client first-hand, but I had absolutely NO IDEA that this would extend to the web version.

Mind you, I deleted no cookies on my web, and I remember long time ago that logging into the web version required a separate Steam Guard key.

So why is this happening? The client and the web versions should not be conflicting in any way!!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
defred34

Banned
Can someone tell me if this unnecessary security measure can be circumvented by disabling Steam Guard, or can it not?
defred34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
bluz74

New Steam Guard feature to help protect your items

During our server maintenance on August 28th, 2013 we implemented a new security feature to protect users from having their items stolen. As a result you may receive a message that says you have logged into a new device and are unable to trade for 15 days. If this is the case you will need to wait the 15 day period before you can trade again because you are on a device that has not had Steam Guard enabled on your account for 15 days. Steam Support is unable to remove this restriction from your account.

To avoid this restriction from triggering you should not delete Steam cookies from your browser, deactivate Steam Guard on your account or reinstall the Steam client. If you have Steam Guard enabled currently and have had it enabled for 15 days on your account then you will be unaffected by this change.

Our goal is to prevent trading on your account before you are able to react if your account is hijacked.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
DJGhost

You were never able to trade through the web browser (or mobile client for that matter). You can only trade on the full steam client.
DJGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
defred34

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGhost View Post
You were never able to trade through the web browser (or mobile client for that matter). You can only trade on the full steam client.
SOrry I meant using the market to sell items.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
defred34

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
New Steam Guard feature to help protect your items

During our server maintenance on August 28th, 2013 we implemented a new security feature to protect users from having their items stolen. As a result you may receive a message that says you have logged into a new device and are unable to trade for 15 days. If this is the case you will need to wait the 15 day period before you can trade again because you are on a device that has not had Steam Guard enabled on your account for 15 days. Steam Support is unable to remove this restriction from your account.

To avoid this restriction from triggering you should not delete Steam cookies from your browser, deactivate Steam Guard on your account or reinstall the Steam client. If you have Steam Guard enabled currently and have had it enabled for 15 days on your account then you will be unaffected by this change.

Our goal is to prevent trading on your account before you are able to react if your account is hijacked.
I know this and I read it already. What I don't understand is why is that when I reinstall Steam the access gets restricted on my web version as well. They're supposed to be two separate things.

God I am lucky my laptop had Steam installed, but it will still be a pain to use that to do trading and sell/buy items on the market.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Thugnificent

You can trade from web browser? o.O?
Thugnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
defred34

Banned
Also, another fact for everyone's knowledge. WHen I uninstalled Steam, I could STILL use the web version to trade via the market.

It is only after I reinstalled it that the web version was rendered useless too.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion