Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
Machinima

Can you download 2 games at the same time?

I purchased Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation arrowhead. For some reason it says download suspended while Arma 2 is download and ARMA 2 OA is suspended? Any help
Thank you.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Epsilon

One at a time, the second will start automatically when the first finishes.
Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Machinima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
One at a time, the second will start automatically when the first finishes.
oh ok thank you so its impossible to download 2 games at the same time on steam?>
Machinima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
idburns

Epsilon just told you that only one game can download at a time...
idburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Satoru

You can't due to the way steampipe works and it being IO intensive it doesn't want to multi-stream games in case the I/O gets saturated due to patching.

Essentially steam patches games on the fly as it downloads. This generates a lot of IO and consumes a lot of RAM as well depending on the patch and file destination size.

If you downloaded DOTA2 and a Shogun2 patch and were doing them at the same time, I suspect your computer would simply seize up from the massive IO spike and the Steam memory utilization.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
NCPereira

You used to be able to download as many as you wanted.

Here's a personal legacy screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/TovSFHV.png
NCPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Epsilon

You used to be able to download more than one game at a time, but you also used to not be able to install games on multiple drives, and not be able to limit bandwidth usage. Times change.

It's important to note that although Steam downloads one game at a time, that game is broken up into thousands of approx. 1 MB sized pieces, and it's grabbing those pieces in parallel from as many content servers as it can to saturate your connection.
Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Sneaky Bear

I thought you were able to, unless they've changed it now which it seems from replies, that they have?

Don't know why they would.
Sneaky Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
invaderboy

This would be a non-issue if they at least let you choose the order in which games are downloaded.
invaderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
Quietman68

Quote:
Originally Posted by invaderboy View Post
This would be a non-issue if they at least let you choose the order in which games are downloaded.
You can do this manually. Just pause any other game until the one you want is the only one left. Resume it if needed.
Quietman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Freds1

Are downloads supposed to pause whilst playing a steam game? Just as a way of passing the time until it finishes. That's happened to me a few times, but I'm not sure if it's meant to.
Freds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
DaVinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
You can't due to the way steampipe works and it being IO intensive it doesn't want to multi-stream games in case the I/O gets saturated due to patching.

Essentially steam patches games on the fly as it downloads. This generates a lot of IO and consumes a lot of RAM as well depending on the patch and file destination size.

If you downloaded DOTA2 and a Shogun2 patch and were doing them at the same time, I suspect your computer would simply seize up from the massive IO spike and the Steam memory utilization.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "IO" I don't have IT-software knowledge. Thank you in advance.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Freds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "IO" I don't have IT-software knowledge. Thank you in advance.
Input/Output.
Freds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds1 View Post
Are downloads supposed to pause whilst playing a steam game? Just as a way of passing the time until it finishes. That's happened to me a few times, but I'm not sure if it's meant to.
Do you mean pause as in the download itsefl is 'paused' in the interface, or that it appears to not be downloading?

Updates 'pause' when you play a game but then restart when you exit.

If you mean that the download 'looks' like it's not doing naything. That can either mean that the download region is saturated or slow (which you can try to fix by changing your download region). Or that the udpate is patching the file. Note that the way patches work, a patch may download say 1MB, but then have to patch a 2GB file! So you can imagine that can take some time, during which the download may look 'paused' but your hard drive will be working overtime.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
McMasterGold

I remember being able to download multiple games at once (though I haven't attempted that in a long time). I guess that's changed.
McMasterGold is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips