Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Yuurg™

Why do people like watching sports?

They're just so boring. And some people go crazy over them, screaming when "their team" wins and raging when "their team" loses, and getting all defensive when someone doesn't like "their team." All of it seems stupid to me. I can understand why people like to PLAY sports, but watching them?

Also, why do Americans think soccer is for wimps? I'm an American, and I care about soccer the same as I care about other sports, which is zero.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
marie pavie

Simply because being part of a mob is fun.

Here's a allegory of it by Pet Clark.

Last edited by marie pavie: 09-29-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Dustenza

I've always loved playing sports, for fun mostly, but I've never understood how people can watch them all the time. Hockey is my favorite sport, but I can't even watch it on TV too often as sports in general just don't hold my attention. Football (American) especially just bores me to sleep. I enjoy attending an NFL game in person every now and then, but watching football or even baseball on TV is the worst. I've just never understood the whole "Sports yeah!!!" lifestyle that people become obsessed with. Don't even get me started on the dullest aspect of it all: Stats. Damn you ESPN. Why do you have to be so popular I mean every single TV in public just has to have ESPN on or people go crazy.

For the record I love soccer. I'd say hockey and soccer are my two favorite sports.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sD_8prYOxo Also is handegg the game similar to Rugby but just body armour and about 5mins of action with 1hour of adverts?

People like to watch sports just like some people like to play video games, watch TV, etc
Old 09-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
JustAnotherFan

The Steelers lost today. This is the 7th game in a row (counting the Pre-Season); and you bet your I yelled when the clock hit 0.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
CombineFrieza

I like watching sports, but I'll never understand why people take it overly seriously. Like robert dinero's character in Silver linings Playbook.

I laugh at people who take it over the top serious. I'm not gaining anything by my favorite team winning a championship.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Yuurg™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
The Steelers lost today. This is the 7th game in a row (counting the Pre-Season); and you bet your I yelled when the clock hit 0.
And nobody cares but you
Old 09-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
joeylawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
I feel for ya, I like the Steelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuurg™ View Post
And nobody cares but you
Wrong.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
lazy6pyro

Quote:
They're just so boring. And some people go crazy over them, screaming when "their team" wins and raging when "their team" loses, and getting all defensive when someone doesn't like "their team." All of it seems stupid to me. I can understand why people like to PLAY sports, but watching them?
It's not boring to them.

They're reactions are consistent to laughing at a funny part in the movie, yelling at the screen during an intense/horror part or cheering and clapping after the person really enjoyed the movie. Fans of the sports are caught up in the drama in the moment and react accordingly.

As far as consistently watchingI various sports (I assume you're talking about professional sports), some of the reasons I follow sports are as follows:
A) It's amazing to see what these athletes can to with their bodies to the sometimes pushing the limits of what the human body can do. I simply watch in awe at the likes of a Lionel Messi and the vision, anticipation and coordination he has to weave his way through the field in traffic. Likewise, watching Lebron James work his magic, or watching Peyton Manning dissect defenses. These athletes are finely-tuned machines trained to achieve the impossible.
B) I have a 'connection' to the team. Whether that would be the place of my birth, the community I'm currently residing in, or went to school (if we're talking about college sports), or if I know or went to the same school as someone on or affiliated with the organization.
C) From playing a number of sports in my youth (basketball, American Football and soccer/futbol), I have deeper knowledge of the sport and can routinely spot plays, patterns with the knowledge of the game. This, of course, gives me greater appreciation watching the best of the best do it.
D) There's a ton of money in sporting events, and it very easily drives economies. Hosting a superbowl or a World Cup often brings massive amounts of tourists to the city that have and spend money. If we're talking about collegiate level, sports bring in absolutely massive amounts of money and exposure for the university.

When it comes to things like the Olympics, I'm all about it even if America isn't in the event or doesn't specialize it. Yes, there's some of the 'Horay Country I was born in! Boo everyone else!', but the majority of the reasons why I watch it is that it is very of the pinnacle of human athletic ability. These people spend their LIFE training and working to win in the most competitive industries in the world. Is it so wrong that I appreciate them and as such buy tickets and gear, Yurg?
Quote:
Also, why do Americans think soccer is for wimps? I'm an American, and I care about soccer the same as I care about other sports, which is zero.
I think you're generalizing here. I'm American, and I love soccer (futbol). Now, I do hear the argument as 'weak' because in schools your bigger and tougher players ususally are playing American football. However, it's not true at the professional level (though egregious flopping doesn't help soccer's reputation...but that happens in basketball too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustenza View Post
Don't even get me started on the dullest aspect of it all: Stats. Damn you ESPN. Why do you have to be so popular I mean every single TV in public just has to have ESPN on or people go crazy.
As someone of likes statistics and mathematics, I love discussing stats. It's an additional insight and is really unique. Though, the talking heads on ESPN do get very annoying very quickly..especially when you know they just put a pretty woman on camera (who without the teleprompter would be clueless).

Last edited by lazy6pyro: 09-29-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Shadoww0lf

Quote:

I honestly don't know either ... Seems like a huge waste of time.

I understand if you actually play the sport, and spectate others to improve yourself ... but otherwise it's just a time burn. You could find other productive things to do.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
lazy6pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoww0lf View Post

I understand if you play the sport, and spectate others to improve yourself ... but otherwise it's just a time burn. You could find other productive things to do.
A) I rarely watch sports alone. I'm either with company at a party or at bar socializing with other fans (or I'm at a game).
B) If I'm home, I do other things whether it be laundry, work, clean, or browse forums/social networking. There's this concept of multi-tasking.
C) The reality is that is that sports broadcasts are not that much longer than movies (3 hours for your average American football broadcast). I don't really see you hating on people who watch a ton of movies.
D) If I'm entertained, then is it wasted? If I get to the point where I'm marking out on the roller-coaster ride of emotions and drama that sporting events bring, then who are you to say I've wasted my time?

I'm going to have a hard time believing you if posting on forums is also not a time burn as you put it. I can absolutely understand if anyone doesn't like sports (everyone has their own interests), but I am absolutely puzzled at the logic behind it being a waste of time when we're on a forum centered around entertainment software, whose players are frequently accused of 'wasting time' by various media outlets.

Last edited by lazy6pyro: 09-29-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Bud042

Because different people have different interests. What a concept.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
NinjaEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoww0lf View Post

I understand if you actually play the sport, and spectate others to improve yourself ... but otherwise it's just a time burn. You could find other productive things to do.
You could say that about every single form of entertainment out there. Playing games? Time burn. Going to the cinema? Time burn. And so on.

-----------------------------

As for me, the only time I actively watch sports is during the Olympics, and, perhaps, the FIFA World Cup. Otherwise, I'm not really interested.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Yuurg™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy6pyro View Post
A)
D) If I'm entertained, then is it wasted? If I get to the point where I'm marking out on the roller-coaster ride of emotions and drama that sporting events bring, then who are you to say I've wasted my time?

I'm going to have a hard time believing you if posting on forums is also not a time burn as you put it. I can absolutely understand if anyone doesn't like sports (everyone has their own interests), but I am absolutely puzzled at the logic behind it being a waste of time when we're on a forum centered around entertainment software, whose players are frequently accused of 'wasting time' by various media outlets.
I never said it was a waste of time. The only wastes of time are doing nothing or doing something that's non-productive AND you hate it. Being happy is never a waste of time.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
bluz74

Questioning sports fans takes a lot of balls.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic