Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops II

Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Infinity7

Thumbs up Ghosts Optimizations Summary

This 1st post in thread is kept updated.
NVidia beta driver 340.43 is out today at NVidia beta downloads. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us Preliminary testing shows definite frame rate improvements for Ghosts with this driver. More specifics coming up soon.
If lagging, try setting the game to run at High Priority. Start the game, then go Windows Task Manager/Details/right-click the running iw6mp64_ship/Set Priority/High. This will have to be set each time you start up the game.
If trouble getting into a match, alternately change Steam download region to Denver, Dallas, or St. Louis. Also, in your config file change seta cl_maxPing to a value of "1200".
Squads menu, play against an AI bot team. Go into Squads/Online Squads Play/Wargame/Recruit/Play Now. First configure bots in the Squad HQ/Create a Soldier menu. Great way to learn maps, weapons, perks, and test settings.
AMD user arkantos91 shares his config in post #725, SLI user thegilpins shares his in post #778.

Forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/209160/discussions/ and http://community.callofduty.com/comm...c#.UsmEAdGA3-c
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist and https://twitter.com/infinityward
Patch notes: http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200800895
Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us and http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...dows-beta.aspx

The best way to report cheaters is to click on their name on the 2nd score screen after the match, and choose that option.
Also, an iPhone or Android phone photo of score screen can be emailed to report@infinityward.com from your phone with brief description. It's good to try Squads for awhile whenever cheater problem is high.

* (green) - important things to notice below here.
* (yellow) - recently updated.

Game Performance Analysis *
To get the best response-to-enemy times in this "console port" game, both high FPS and high GPU-usage (feeling of "weight") should be considered. Consoles are a much different type of computer, so adding on the feeling of "weight" is needed to ensure sent-packet timeliness. Shadows have large amount of GPU-usage hardcoded reserved for it. Depth of Field has a moderate amount of GPU-usage hardcoded reserved for it. This is not the type of game that can be made to run better by simply "turning settings down". To run better, some things need to be turned up.

Advanced Video Menu
Aspect Ratio: Automatic or your display's aspect ratio.
Screen Refresh Rate: Set to your display's refresh rate.
Sync Every Frame: No.
Image Quality: * Extra (with Texture Quality set to Manual and lower Resolutions set), or High (with Texture Quality set to Automatic).
FOV: "65" is default, & the lowest possible. "80" is the highest possible.
Depth of Field: * Yes (default) (changeable during match) GPU-usage benefit & nice 3D effect.
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: * Low (recommended) or Off (default).
Terrain Detail: * Extra or Normal. This is tessellation.
Anisotropic Filtering: * Low (if Image Quality set to Extra) or Normal (if Image Quality set to High).
Motion Blur: Yes or No.
Distortion: * Yes (default) (changeable during match) for best response time & visuals.
Antialiasing: * Off (best), or FXAA, 1xSMAA, or 2xMSAA.
Shadows: * Yes (default). Large GPU-usage benefit.
Texture Quality: * Automatic (if Image Quality set to High), or Manual (if Image Quality set to Extra. Then individually set the next 4 things (not seen in menu if set to Automatic).
Texture Resolution: [Normal or High] (when Texture Quality set to Manual)
Normal Map Resolution: [Normal or High] (when Texture Quality set to Manual)
Specular Map Resolution: [Normal or High] (when Texture Quality set to Manual)
Water Map Resolution: [Low or High] (when Texture Quality set to Manual)
Dynamic Fur: * Off, to avoid slowdowns caused by the complex dog textures.
PhysX Turbulence: Off

Config File
The game's config file can be accessed and some things can be modified to speed up the performance of multiplayer.
It is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Ghosts\players2\config_mp.cfg
If you delete your config file, then start up the game, the game will give you a new config file instantly.

seta cg_chatHeight "4" Default is "3". This determines the number of lines in the chat message area.
seta cg_chatTime "14000" Default is "1200". Time chat stays on screen before disappearing.
seta cg_fov "65" Field of View. This is default value, and the lowest possible. "80" is the highest possible.
seta cl_maxPing "800" * This is default. Increasing it may help finding more matches. Also, try changing your Steam download region if you're having trouble finding matches.
seta cl_packetdup " " Default is 2. A value of 5 may help aggressive players, and a value of 0 may help the snipers.
seta r_autopriority "0" This is the default value.
seta r_depthPrepass " " Off is default.
seta r_displayMaxHeight "4096" This is default.
seta r_displayMaxWidth "4096" This is default.
seta r_elevatedPriority "0" This is default.
seta r_distortion "0"
seta r_dlightLimit "4" This is default.
seta r_dof_enable "1" Enables Depth of Field.
seta r_dof_hq "0" or "1" May reduce performance. Game will change a "1" to say "Mip-Chain". Enables high quality Depth of Field. Regular dof must also be on when using this.
seta r_tessellation "2_All" or "1_Near". The game menu choice for Terrain Detail will determine this.
seta r_tessellationCutoffDistanceBase "960" is default.
seta r_tessellationCutoffFalloffBase "320" is default.
seta r_texFilterAnisoMax " " Anisotropic Filtering maximum value.
seta r_texFilterAnisoMin " " Anisotropic filtering minimum value. By default, Anisotropic Filtering Low puts it to "1", Normal put it to "8", High puts it to "16". You can enter a custom value here.
seta r_usePrebuiltSpotShadow "Enabled" is default, but in some cases "Disabled" is better.
seta sm_enable "1" This is default. Same as having Shadows On in the Advanced menu.

Antialiasing Special Combination
Set Antialiasing to Off (game menu).
Set Antialiasing Mode "Override Application Settings" (NVidia Inspector).
Set Antialiasing Setting "2x2 Supersampling D3D Only" (NVidia Inspector).
Set seta r_displayMaxHeight "5760" and seta r_displayMaxWidth "5760" (config file).
When this AA Special Combo is not used, put MaxHeight and MaxWidth back to the defaults (4096).
There are no lines for seta r_aaSamples or seta r_aaQuality with this combo.

Mouse *
- Microsoft released an update that corrects mouse input problems for games, including Ghosts, on Windows 8.1. You can get the update here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279
- Mouse response tweak (may have been resolved after patch): Go into Options/Control Options/Gamepad. Gamepad may be set to off by default. Turn it on, then set it to #1 lowest sensitivity and turn off vibration, then go back one menu so it will save, then go ahead again to that menu, and disable the Gamepad. Back out of menus.
- Another possible tweak for mouse: Right-click the game exe (iw6mp64_ship)/Properties/Compatibility/check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
- Mouse response might be improved by setting Max Prerendered Frames to 1 in NVidia Control Panel.

Firewall
To make sure Firewall ports are open properly for Steam and Ghosts, find your router on the list at http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ and click the link for your router. Then at the next page find Steam and Ghosts on the list and follow port forwarding configuration as recommended.

Other
- If having game crashes, you may need to clear out some old video card driver files. See Display Driver Uninstaller info here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...sed-05-23-14-/ It works for both NVidia and AMD.
- To type game chat in color, type a carrot ^, then a number, then chat.
- NVidia users set to single display performance mode rather than multiple in NVidia Control Panel.
- There may be be an audio conflict between the AMD on board HDMI audio and the game. The AMD HDMI audio can be disabled in Device Manager. There may be a conflict with motherboard onboard audio as well.

Last edited by Infinity7: 06-17-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: NVidia beta driver 340.43.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
T3HK4T

I'd recommend putting what the command changes do.
T3HK4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Infinity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3HK4T View Post
I'd recommend putting what the command changes do.
Yeah. I still haven't gotten past figuring out how to get the most kills yet by tweaking video settings. Lots to do here....
Infinity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
_FloydThe_

Lightbulb

packetdup 5 is a joke right?
so you're suggesting people to flood the game with commands all over the place?

the only thing this will do in the end is to ruin it for everyone
_FloydThe_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Infinity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _FloydThe_ View Post
packetdup 5 is a joke right?
so you're suggesting people to flood the game with commands all over the place?

the only thing this will do in the end is to ruin it for everyone
Try it and let me know if it benefits your score. We used to do this for the first CoD Black Ops, but after the first patch came out the tweak wasn't needed.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
9d3ts

Thanks for this.

I figured out a temp fix for the AMD card menu stutter. It "seems" to be an audio conflict between the AMD on board HDMI audio and the game. Go into device manager and disable the AMD HDMI audio. It will still stutter a little, but I can at least create a class without pulling my hair out. Im half temped to say it could be a onboard audio issues also. I remember a few games having this issue with certain devices.

Last edited by 9d3ts: 11-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.
9d3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Infinity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d3ts View Post
Thanks for this.

I figured out a temp fix for the AMD card menu stutter. It "seems" to be an audio conflict between the AMD on board HDMI audio and the game. Go into device manager and disable the AMD HDMI audio. It will still stutter a little, but I can at least create a class without pulling my hair out. Im half temped to say it could be a onboard audio issues also. I remember a few games having this issue with certain devices.
Yeah, when I first got my NVidia GTX 580 card, the HDMI audio driver for that card was slowing down my Black Ops (1st one) until I uninstalled it.

I was going to explore and audio slowdowns and mouse slowdowns after I got done with the video tests.

Last I heard, AMD had not released a Catalyst driver for Ghosts. Maybe they have by now.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
b@man

The config tweaks helped me. I would add, turn off AA in game and set it on your V-Card software. That was a big help too.
b@man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
seniorwells

Nice work infinity. Keep us posted with your findings mate. I'm sure there's a lot of people that are desperate to get the game running better
seniorwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Hybrydowy

I suggest set image quality to "Extra". Everything else looks blurry.
Hybrydowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
iDentity BLaZeY

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d3ts View Post
Thanks for this.

had it disabled a while still menu stutter -_-
iDentity BLaZeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
fattony163

Flickering

I fixed the flicking of your gun sights or attachments. In the Nvidia control panel I set the SLI to single GPU and this fixed it.
fattony163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
jimmitch

subcribed
jimmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
81Riel

"Depth of Field: * Low for performance." There's only "yes" or "no" in Ghosts.
81Riel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Infinity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Riel View Post
"Depth of Field: * Low for performance." There's only "yes" or "no" in Ghosts.
Fixed. Thanks.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Black Ops II