Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
hawkofrawk

Ways to "git gud" at MVM/find a good team?

I've done a few tours of advanced on the original maps but I haven't been able to even beat the first wave on mannhatten or the second on rottenburg with random people met through matchmaking. I'm not a member of any big gaming group or clan so I'm not sure where to start looking for a team.

Also any good youtube videos and other guides to not be so bad at these new maps?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
SPOOK IT HARD

Banned
Random is random
SPOOK IT HARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Hotsu

Persistence. You'll find a group of people that know what they're doing eventually, and it doesn't take too long to find said group considering how new Two Cities is.
Hotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Mr.Infidelz^

Here's my little guide:

Don't waste your own time if you can clearly tell that your team isn't going to cope. If you see your team has a Huntsman Sniper, Home wrecker and Phlog Pyro, a Demo knight, a Tomislav Heavy, a Gunslinger Engineer, and a Quickfix or Vaccinator Medic, just leave. Save yourself the time instead of barely scraping past the first round with half the cash not picked up.

Improve your chances of not being booted off, don't pick Sniper, Spy or Pyro unless you really really know what you're doing.

No matter what anyone says, Scout is valuable. Having near full money and upgrades will make the later 6/7 and 7/7 rounds much easier on you if you have both maxed out resistances, health on kill, damage output and money left over to spend on uber and crits canteens when ever you need them.

Don't pick the second class of anything unless you're really lacking the damage output. In which case consider picking up something like a second Heavy or Demoman.

If you're a Medic don't be stingy and wait fifteen seconds, buy back, since you're the only class that can revive people you need to be up as much as possible. Additionally if you're not the Medic and multiple people have died, wait for a few seconds and buy back if you're not being healed. DON'T however buyback if the Medic starts healing you since you're just wasting his time and it's rather annoying to come one second to reviving someone instead of healing and building charge for them to buyback.

If you're a Scout don't upgrade any thing except the Mad Milk and Resistances, people will hate you for being a combat Scout instead of a collection Scout. Taking the upgraded Mad Milk and Fan of War will save your team in many cases. Force A Nature can be used for a bit of knockback if needed.

The Medic should only be using Kritzkrieg, Uber canteens are cheaper and the Kritz naturally builds faster by default and lets your Demo and Heavy, possibly even Soldier dish out a ton of damage. Running QuickFix or Ubercharge is basically planning on situations where you're failing already and getting out damaged.

Engineer should use Rescue Ranger and Wrangler, Melee weapon doesn't matter much as long as it's not the Gunslinger. Dispenser should be for your TEAM MATES not yourself. Since all your teammates benefit from the dispenser, whilst you have a full ammo kit to yourself. The other way around and you have five people fighting over a single ammo kit, and one person with a level three dispenser all to themselves. This also means your teammates don't have to purchase additional ammo upgrades.

Demo should not be going Demo knight since crit winbombs and crit sticky traps are insanely powerful.

Medic should Kritz the Demo before the round starts for a free eight critical sticky trap, since you can just recharge before the round starts.

Heavy should focus on taking down bomb carriers and the demo should focus on the tank since the tank has a minigun damage resistance.

There's no need to max out every resistance, and in my opinion projectile destruction is rendered useless on Heavy because of the Medic shield, faster firing speed is better as it generates knockback faster which can save waves in dire situations.

Last edited by Mr.Infidelz^: 12-10-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Mr.Infidelz^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
kawaii

Banned
Smoking weed every day helps.

I generally find that if you go soldier or heavy you can just hold down mouse1 and use wasd keys to move that should get you top score maybe second.

The trick is to spend ever $ you get on more DPS. It's not to hard to win with everyone just focusing on dealing damage. Pretty much everything on the resist page (except maybe crit resist) as well as most seondaries/melee weapons is a waste of $.
Reload Speed, Fire Rate, Damage, Clip Size, Health on Kill, Bullet penetration < all the good stuff

The most common Team is
1 scout (milk + fan)
1 heavy (minigun)
1 soldier (black box/rocket + banner)
1 demo (booties + sticky)
1 engy (wrench + wrangler + ranger)
1 medic (kritz + ubersaw)

but something like
4 heavies an engineer and a scout would work too.

Also you should not that they nerfed Mannhatten to hell so it's pretty easy now.

Last edited by kawaii: 12-10-2013 at 02:44 PM.
kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Armisael

It should be noted that the pomson is very effective against giant medics.

And if you want to get very good at a particular class, playing boot camp with some people who probably couldn't walk through a door without assistance will force you to learn every possible way to squeeze more out of your game.
Armisael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Timmy-P7

Do you have any friends that play TF2? You can practice with them on a private server if you can forward your ports, or use Hamachi.
Cheats might help during practice, as well.
Timmy-P7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Cranky

The problem is when the people playing man vs machine have not even learned how to play a class effectively in player-versus-player, and then assume that they can learn to play and win durng the very same mission.

I've beaten expert gear grinder 3-5 times on my alt account forever-train engineer as engineer and spy. I can't speak for the new maps/tours.
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Cranky

I forgot to mention that as engineer id use frontier justice, wrangler and wrench (wrench spahbots). I couldn't tell you how many times I saved a round with frontier crits at the bomb chute. Yet, again, maybe rescue ranger is really useful on the new maps (I wouldnt know). I have found that a rebuild canteen works even better than a rescue ranger, for a whole new level 3 almost instantly, or to repair a crucially placed sentry almost destroyed while I'm away from it.
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
serpentine

Learn to play engie well. If your engie is bad you will likely lose. 26th Tour now, best advice I have to give.
serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
karl pilkingtom

Banned
don't assume you're going to win and have room to mess around with new and wild load outs. stick to the tried and true, and don't argue against a general team consensus when something needs to be changed. Soldier is the only one who's really flexible with his primary of choice (but no liberty launcher) ONLY play roles you are good at, and whoever is best with a certain class should play it.

Last edited by karl pilkingtom: 12-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
karl pilkingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
thepounder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkofrawk View Post
I've done a few tours of advanced on the original maps but I haven't been able to even beat the first wave on mannhatten or the second on rottenburg with random people met through matchmaking. I'm not a member of any big gaming group or clan so I'm not sure where to start looking for a team.

Also any good youtube videos and other guides to not be so bad at these new maps?
My anecdotal experience is that you either play with friends or you suffer loss after loss. Otherwise, keep rolling the dice, so to speak, and hope to find a few competent people at random.

Don't get me wrong; not trying to discourage you even though I find MVM tiresome, repetitive, and borderline boring since it's static (seriously, spending a full couple minutes hammering on a tank; ludicrous). If you want to win at it, you keep on going, mate.

The other option is to trade for tickets and use them liberally; people who pay generally are there for the sole purpose of winning. And beware the players who want you to use only a specific loadout with zero "acceptable" variations; jerks abound but you can avoid them.
thepounder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
hawkofrawk

I queued up with one friend I knew and found a nice group of players who actually used their mics...then steam died at the final round before we won.

I'm still looking for guides from the individual missions or maps though. For example, a video saying like "In mission X on Y map heres the full round" and it breaks down each wave and points out good defensive ideas or sentry areas. Something like that to get myself more familiar with the maps and some strategies.
hawkofrawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Timmy-P7

Quote:
I queued up with one friend I knew and found a nice group of players who actually used their mics...then steam died at the final round before we won.

I'm still looking for guides from the individual missions or maps though. For example, a video saying like "In mission X on Y map heres the full round" and it breaks down each wave and points out good defensive ideas or sentry areas. Something like that to get myself more familiar with the maps and some strategies.
Good for you.
The best way to allocate yourself with riunds is to play them yourself. Before starting the round. Explore the map, look at the spawn points and robot paths, and anticipate who will spawn when.

And as I suggested earlier, start a private match and pop on sv_cheats so you can blow through a mission while finding out the info you need, then hop into matchmaking when you think your ready.
Timmy-P7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Dr.Boo.j2

Quote:

Even if you become an ubergood MvM player, if your teammates are terrible, you will not win. You're only as strong as your weakest link in MvM my friend.
If you're looking for some guys who play fairly well, play a lot of MvM and also test out custom waves (that are generally harder than Valve waves), add me on steam
Keep in mind: we're from Europe. So if you're in another timezone, you'll have to keep that in mind.
Dr.Boo.j2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2