Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
donham

Thumbs up Steam client now offers self use refunds for pre-orders.

In what seems like another step in the right direction by Valve, it seems they have very recently implemented what seems to be a user controlled refund mechanism. It seems that any pre-order item a user has in their STORE TRANSACTIONS page, now has a link called Refund an item. The link looks like: http://store.steampowered.com/accoun...7890123456789/, whereby the 19 digits are different for each link.

I personally do not pre-order games on principal so I can not test such links to see if there is some kind of additional confirmation when a refund link is clicked. I assume there is. It would be a little crazy to just click such a link and have the purchase amount initially paid -automatically and without further confirmation- added to your Steam wallet. I assume it gets added to your Steam wallet. That too has yet to be confirmed.

Here is a picture to illustrate the new refund link. Thanks to user {\VoX Puffy/} for that screen grab. Apart from that, I already had another user confirm this new link exists for any unreleased pre-order. That user is a Russian collector type who buys many games, including pre-orders. He told me he has several such links.

For now, this is donham signing off, with another community message. I'll be away for a couple of days.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
JustAnotherFan

About damn time. First Origin and then GoG; I like where Digital Distribution is headed.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Eek!

Well, as long as this is the start and not simply an end (although personally I prefer refunding the CC anyhoo).
Eek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
donham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
About damn time. First Origin and then GoG; I like where Digital Distribution is headed.
I don't. Not in the grand scheme of things. I like it when after I buy a game, and i "have" it in my possession, I am in total control of it. If I can play it forever (assuming I have a system to run it on) without having to rely on a third party, including the internet, then, I am happy. (MMOGs excluded obviously, though we know how those work from the start.) Therefore I prefer GOG and DRM free direct downloads. That's another reason why I don't have many games on Steam. I just prefer to use GOG, because with them, I get control.

That's how disc based DRM worked for over twenty years. However bad some people like to say things were, at least after you had your disc, you had the game. Forever! Anyway, we are past the point of no return, for most new major games. They are all integrated into their own kind of b/s in some way or another. Stripping that, whilst not impossible, probably not worth doing so for the company involved, just for the zealot market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eek! View Post
Well, as long as this is the start and not simply an end (although personally I prefer refunding the CC anyhoo).
Again, I do not know for sure if the refund is credited to the original purchase method or Steam wallet. I assume wallet because it's easier, instant and has the benefit for Valve that you will be forced to use that same money with them again. We will find out soon enough though, I am sure.
donham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
jestersdance

What happens when you trade for a preorder gift and activate it?
jestersdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
zeroxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersdance View Post
What happens when you trade for a preorder gift and activate it?
Ask Valve for a refund, if you buy the gift yourself and unpack it. If it's from different sources, I think you are having a big problem there.
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Shaneluls39199

indeed a step in the right direction. I really like googles refund policy on apps-15 minutes after buying if you don't like or are not satisfied-click refund and bam.

Although for a decent review you would need more than 15 minutes with most games(and obviously alot of games take more than 15 minutes to download). and im sure valve doesn't have that kind of legal power to automatically remove software from a device/pc (obviously they DO have this power but it cant be exercised unless per hijacked account,CC charge-backs, fraud and what not)

Kind of a poor example but you get the idea.
Shaneluls39199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
MADDOGGE

If Steamwallet isn't the only refund method then yes a step forward as you don't have to bother with Steam Support when you change your mind about a pre-order.

Hardly a step in the right direction though if the money can only go into SteamWallet. That would mean in actuality you don't get your money back at all. This means Steam still has your money and you will have to buy something else with it from Steam to use the money at all.

If I buy with a CC from anyone, I expect the money to be credited back to my card. Pay with Paypal then back the money to be credited back into into my Paypal account. Only if I paid with Steam Wallet would I expect the money to rightly go back into the wallet.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
zeroxxx

But there's a cost associated for refunding to Paypal?

For example, I preorder Torchlight 2 50 USD. When I ask for refund, and it is returned to Paypal, Paypal takes the fee associated with the refund so I don't receive full 50 USD but less.

I would be irritated with a method like that also. >.>
zeroxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #10
T@F

About time.
Now the question to ask is?

Does the money get refunded back to our bank accounts.
or is valve still pulling a sly one and refunds to our steam wallet only.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #11
Anthony_NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
About time.
Now the question to ask is?

Does the money get refunded back to our bank accounts.
or is valve still pulling a sly one and refunds to our steam wallet only.
Probably only steam wallet, else it would get complicated...
Anthony_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
Hasney

Hopefully this goes active on all Games for Windows Live games that never get patched after the shutdown date. Great consumer-centric move!
Hasney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #13
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroxxx View Post
But there's a cost associated for refunding to Paypal?

For example, I preorder Torchlight 2 50 USD. When I ask for refund, and it is returned to Paypal, Paypal takes the fee associated with the refund so I don't receive full 50 USD but less.

I would be irritated with a method like that also. >.>
I dont think paypal takes a fee from refunds.

I have refunded someone via paypal and the customer got the whole amount back and the fees on the initial transaction even got reduced in line with the amount refunded.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 AM   #14
T@F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_NL View Post
Probably only steam wallet, else it would get complicated...
you what lol.
Every company i know of gives refunds back to our bank accounts,besides valve,it's not complicated at all.

This making excuses all the time for what valves does is starting to get tiring,ppl should stop making excuses for under hand tactics or valve cannot do out wrong.if amazon did this or any other company you would be screaming blue murder but because it's valve it's ok then.

The only reason they wont put the cash back to our bank account is because while it's in steam wallet,we are still forced to use that cash in valves store.
Even origin uplay or gmg/gamergate puts the money back in our bank accounts,and yet valves allowed to have an excuse it's complicated lol.

The only time the cash should be put in our steam wallet,is if you buy a steam cash voucher from say a gaming store.

btw all i'm doing is pointing out that other companys can refund to our bank accounts why not valve?

Last edited by T@F: 01-24-2014 at 04:51 AM.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
Herocopter

Now it just needs to be extended to Early Access. That way unscrupulous developers will have a hard to choice to make - put a broken alpha in the store and face refunds, or make every effort to ensure they deliver a solid product customers want to keep.
Herocopter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion