Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
varsas13

Reported by the community for scamming despite never scamming?

Okay so all of a sudden when someone trades me they get a big box with this quote

Quote:
Other members of the Steam Community have reported ~__Thingz'N'Stuff___ for attempting trade scams. Proceed with caution, and remember you will only receive the items shown in the trade window. Steam Wallet funds and CD Keys cannot be traded
This has just dumbfounded me as for I do not deal in Real world trades, promise of Real world or non Steam items (cd keys, cash or other game items) only items for Items allowed in the Steam Trading window.

Researching this I have discovered literally anyone can get this on their account if enough people click on the Report/Flag option in trade or on your profile and chose the attempt scam option, for no reason what-so ever.

Trolls, those who are upset you declined their offer, or those who feel your offer was too low, can report you as a attempted scam and your account will be flagged with that mark if enough people do it.

As a trader I trade with tons of people daily, in Dota 2 / TF2 and through the occasional Steam inventory trades. I meet all kinds of folks, those who are intellectual, those who are immature, and those who you feel were dropped on their heads as a child.

I ask this now, has anyone gotten this and able to remove it? I have filed a Steam support ticket in hopes that this can be resolved.

I just feel this report system and out-come is kinda ridiculous. You can be reported by anyone for anything, and if enough people report you your account will show a big fat message claiming you've been reported for attempt scams. Someone you don't like and want revenge on? Get a group of friends to report them as attempt scammings and they will get the Steam Community Attempt Scam marker.

A example, I was in the Dota 2 chat rooms advertising my 1 treasure key for 6 rares, someone added me clearly not reading my message thoroughly and putt 6 uncommons in. I informed him of his mistake which he than became out-raged saying I was lying and that he reported me for scamming. I brushed it off as just another idiot, but I guess even those can come out in the better end now.

This needs to be changed, it's good to inform those of actual scammers, but when legit players are being affected by it I feel there needs to be some adjustments.

Also a good example of this is The Scrap.TF bots. if you're a TF2 trade you will know what these are. They are automated bots built to trading in TF2 for items to make things more simple, well the funny thing is they're all marked by the Steam community as scamming. That is just a prime example of how anyone can get this mark, those bots trade with 100s of people a day, and I am sure there are kids who report them for craps and giggles and after a while, they get the mark.

Last edited by varsas13: 02-17-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
esmorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsas13 View Post
Okay so all of a sudden when someone trades me they get a big box with this quote

This has just dumbfounded me as for I do not deal in Real world trades, promise of Real world or non Steam items (cd keys, cash or other game items) only items for Items allowed in the Steam Trading window.

Researching this I have discovered literally anyone can get this on their account if enough people click on the Report/Flag option in trade or on your profile and chose the attempt scam option, for no reason what-so ever.

Trolls, those who are upset you declined their offer, or those who feel your offer was too low, can report you as a attempted scam and your account will be flagged with that mark if enough people do it.

As a trader I trade with tons of people daily, in Dota 2 / TF2 and through the occasional Steam inventory trades. I meet all kinds of folks, those who are intellectual, those who are immature, and those who you feel were dropped on their heads as a child.

I ask this now, has anyone gotten this and able to remove it? I have filed a Steam support ticket in hopes that this can be resolved.

I just feel this report system and out-come is kinda ridiculous. You can be reported by anyone for anything, and if enough people report you your account will show a big fat message claiming you've been reported for attempt scams. Someone you don't like and want revenge on? Get a group of friends to report them as attempt scammings and they will get the Steam Community Attempt Scam marker.

A example, I was in the Dota 2 chat rooms advertising my 1 treasure key for 6 rares, someone added me clearly not reading my message thoroughly and putt 6 uncommons in. I informed him of his mistake which he than became out-raged saying I was lying and that he reported me for scamming. I brushed it off as just another idiot, but I guess even those can come out in the better end now.

This needs to be changed, it's good to inform those of actual scammers, but when legit players are being affected by it I feel there needs to be some adjustments.

Also a good example of this is The Scrap.TF bots. if you're a TF2 trade you will know what these are. They are automated bots built to trading in TF2 for items to make things more simple, well the funny thing is they're all marked by the Steam community as scamming. That is just a prime example of how anyone can get this mark, those bots trade with 100s of people a day, and I am sure there are kids who report them for craps and giggles and after a while, they get the mark.
Well.. some people are just... That's the downside of such reporting systems I guess..
They should maybe put in some restrictions or at least view the reports more close. Especially if some1's on the verge of getting such a tag.
esmorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Herocopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmorax View Post
Well.. some people are just... That's the downside of such reporting systems I guess..
They should maybe put in some restrictions or at least view the reports more close. Especially if some1's on the verge of getting such a tag.
That's the kicker. NOBODY reviews the reports. The warning message is automatically applied after somebody hits the Report button. You are completely at the mercy of anyone who wants to ruin your trading experience for any reason whatsoever. And then Valve does the shaming with their "official" message.
Herocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
**CASANOVA**

does anyone know how much time this schitty valve window report lasts ? Is it permanent or it disapare after few days or something like that ?
**CASANOVA** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
varsas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by **CASANOVA** View Post
does anyone know how much time this schitty valve window report lasts ? Is it permanent or it disapare after few days or something like that ?

I was doing some research on it and came across a forum post regarding this. The person with it filed a ticket and the ticket response was something in the lines of "It's applied to the account after a specific number of reports are filed onto it, after 3 weeks it gets reset" not exactly in those words, but It did say it goes away after 3 weeks. The post was in OCtober and had no other replies confirming that it was gone after 3 weeks or not.

No reply in my ticket yet, but I guess in 3 weeks (or when they reply) Ill see if it deos go away or is a permanent marker (which will be full blown stupid)
varsas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
elmyth23

had since the summer 2014 event, when all the trading whiners ran around. Also trade with thousands of people so odds just get better for being marked the more you trade.

Problem is simple automation, have to explain to people weekly that i am not offering them anything outside trade window so it can't be a scam. Need to add a lowball or report button, would be better than being called a criminal.

necro
elmyth23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Bings

How do you even know that you are reported?
Bings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Gomez34

Its an automated system

Once you do enough trades without being reported, the warning goes away

One piece of advise, stop sending lowball offers. That is the reason why you get reported
Gomez34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Reallifeh8er

Since this thread is beloved by necromancers, I will put in my message to all who read it right in the first page to get this straight:

Welcome to the Steam Trading Community! Happy trading & enjoy your stay.

Hint: Use www.steamrep.com
Reallifeh8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion