Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
ThePug

Red face 'You have logged in from a new device'

'You have logged in from a new device. In order to protect the items in your inventory, you will be unable to trade from this device for 7 days.'

What??? I'm logged in on the exact same computer I've been logged on for the past week. Even after not signing into Steam for over a year, when I logged on this week for the first time it was on a completely different computer and didn't get blocked. Yet I get blocked when I'm on the same computer? I've been trading fine until now. I changed my steam guard email, so that may be the cause, I"m not sure though.

Do I really have to live this next whole week without TRADING?????
Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
eg0elite

You said you logged on this week from a different computer. If you have used two different computers to log in this same week that explains the block, but maybe I just got confused by your message.
eg0elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
ThePug

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg0elite View Post
You said you logged on this week from a different computer. If you have used two different computers to log in this same week that explains the block, but maybe I just got confused by your message.
A year and a half ago my laptop broke. Didn't have a decent computer until now. I logged into this new computer a week ago, have been trading PERFECTLY. Brand new device and didn't even block me, even though this is a different device. A week later on this same new computer (now) I get this message.

I don't know if this means anything, but I logged into the steam mobile app a few days ago (brand new device) yet no block?
ThePug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Sinnah

In my experience there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason whatsoever as to when or why you get lock. People claim they get locked for changing their payment details, adding wallet funds, or using Visa gift cards, etc... all of which I've done dozens of times and never been locked out for it. Meanwhile, my wife changes her payment details once and gets 7 days.

Most recently, as in just this week, I installed Win7 on one of my computers and obviously got the "New Device" prompt once I reinstalled Steam, and found I was locked out of the Market because of it. Weirdly, though, it's only unavailable when I'm logged in on specific PC and OS. If I log in from WinXP or my work computer, the option to buy and sell new items is available to me again.

So it might be a long shot but maybe try longing in on another device that's already recognized by Steam and see if it works again...
Sinnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
ThePug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnah View Post
In my experience there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason whatsoever as to when or why you get lock. People claim they get locked for changing their payment details, adding wallet funds, or using Visa gift cards, etc... all of which I've done dozens of times and never been locked out for it. Meanwhile, my wife changes her payment details once and gets 7 days.

Most recently, as in just this week, I installed Win7 on one of my computers and obviously got the "New Device" prompt once I reinstalled Steam, and found I was locked out of the Market because of it. Weirdly, though, it's only unavailable when I'm logged in on specific PC and OS. If I log in from WinXP or my work computer, the option to buy and sell new items is available to me again.

So it might be a long shot but maybe try longing in on another device that's already recognized by Steam and see if it works again...
Logged in and out of steam mobile. Logged in on different browser. Still nothing.

This is going to be a long week.
ThePug is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips