Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 05-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
snh

Post [FIX] An issue with your computer is blocking the VAC system

It seems that a large number of CS:GO players have been receiving the error "An issue with your computer is blocking the VAC system. You cannot play on secure servers." before joining a CS:GO secure server or while in-game and are unable to reconnect to the match. This should serve as a fix to the problem. If the problem still persists after going through each of these steps, contact Steam Support.

An issue with your computer is blocking the VAC system. You cannot play on secure servers.

How do I fix this?

Enable DEP

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) must be enabled to play on VAC secured servers. To restore DEP settings to default please follow the steps below:
  • Exit Steam.
  • Click the Start button, then 'All Programs', and 'Accessories'
  • Right-click on Command Prompt and click "Run as administrator..."
    - Please note if you are running Windows 8 you will need to press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
    bcdedit.exe /deletevalue nx
  • Restart your computer.
  • Launch Steam and test the issue again.

Restart your computer

If this is a problem for you on all servers then you can try fixing this problem by exiting Steam and restarting your computer.

Repair the Steam Service

This may also indicate a Steam Service failure. Please try repairing the Steam Service:
  • Exit Steam.
  • Click Start > Run (Windows Key + R)
  • Type the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair

(If you have installed Steam to another path, please replace C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam with the correct path.)

This command requires administrator privileges and may take a few minutes.

Conflicting Software

This issue can be caused by third party software interfering with your game or Steam. Please restart your computer, then launch Steam and the game without running any other third party software.

View the official fix posted on Steam Support:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2117-ILZV-2837&l=english

A CS:GO topic was also pinned for this and another similar issue here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/558751179696898946/

Unconfirmed Alternative Fix
Submitted by 'puffpuff_passe'
  • Exit Steam
  • Delete folder <PATH_TO_STEAM>/appcache/
  • Open Steam

Last edited by snh: 10-23-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added puffpuff_passe as submitter for alternative fix
Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Jitterskull

Well I'm unable to join as administrator for personal reasons. Is there any possible way to fix it without it?
Jitterskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
snh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterskull View Post
Well I'm unable to join as administrator for personal reasons. Is there any possible way to fix it without it?
There aren't any ways around this as far as I know. What do you mean you cannot join as administrator? I'm assuming you cannot run these set of steps as administrator? If so, try them as your normal user, it's just a recommendation to run them as admin.

The steps listed above are 4 separate solutions, they don't work hand-in-hand, do not a single one of them work for you?
snh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Jitterskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by snh View Post
There aren't any ways around this as far as I know. What do you mean you cannot join as administrator? I'm assuming you cannot run these set of steps as administrator? If so, try them as your normal user, it's just a recommendation to run them as admin.

The steps listed above are 4 separate solutions, they don't work hand-in-hand, do not a single one of them work for you?
well what did you meant by "Click the Start button, then 'All Programs', and 'Accessories'" ?? I can't find it, though I'm using XP pro and russian version of OS. What is that thing though?

oh nevemind, they just wanted me to find the command prompt, but it located far away from where they noted, god that guide is awful. However, the "bcdedit.exe /deletevalue nx" doesn't work, my command prompt said "teh command doesn't exist" or something like that, just on russian.

Last edited by Jitterskull: 05-25-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:39 AM   #5
snh

Yes, you need to get to command prompt and execute the above commands. This isn't a guide as much as it is the only fix to rid yourself of the problem you're experiencing, so whether its awful or not is irrelevant because it's the only method.

Be sure to type everything exactly as it has been stated above, most of these commands if not all are case sensitive.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
If you can't find the accessories folder you should be able to get around it by typing cmd into the start menu's search box, then right clicking it and selecting run as admin.

http://i.imgur.com/HW4J1WY.jpg

Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #7
Twannie1997

Thanks for including my fixed solution which I posted on SPUF a few days ago. +Rep for you OP!
Twannie1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Jitterskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-E View Post
If you can't find the accessories folder you should be able to get around it by typing cmd into the start menu's search box, then right clicking it and selecting run as admin.

http://i.imgur.com/HW4J1WY.jpg
the thing is, I'm unable to "run as admin"... is there any possible way to fix it WITHOUT admin privileges?? Also, entire windows is on russian, so there is no "cmd" programm. Though, I'd assume that it's that "command prompt".

Last edited by Jitterskull: 05-25-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
ZoomerADS

Quote:
the thing is, I'm unable to "run as admin"... is there any possible way to fix it WITHOUT admin privileges?? Also, entire windows is on russian, so there is no "cmd" programm. Though, I'd assume that it's that "command prompt".
This is an (English) guide for accessing DEP settings on Windows XP:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/566/x...n-feature-dep/
ZoomerADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Jitterskull

Quote:
Yes, you need to get to command prompt and execute the above commands. This isn't a guide as much as it is the only fix to rid yourself of the problem you're experiencing, so whether its awful or not is irrelevant because it's the only method.

Be sure to type everything exactly as it has been stated above, most of these commands if not all are case sensitive.
I made sure I write it exactly as you suggested, but it didn't helped. By the way, by awful I meant that how awfully it explained because as for windows XP it located in absolutely diffirent location. Anyway, is it necessary to run it as admin? Becasue if this is case, I've already said before I cannot do this... So I was curious if there is any other possible way to get rid of it without it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
snh

Quote:
I made sure I write it exactly as you suggested, but it didn't helped. By the way, by awful I meant that how awfully it explained because as for windows XP it located in absolutely diffirent location. Anyway, is it necessary to run it as admin? Becasue if this is case, I've already said before I cannot do this... So I was curious if there is any other possible way to get rid of it without it.
I'm sorry I haven't replied, but I'm not sure of how to assist, my primary and only language is English, I'm not sure how else to help you. As for the comment regarding the 'guide', I understand and I didn't mean to come across offensively.

My only method of getting online at the moment is via my work VPN, I've recently relocated my home place and will only have a personal internet connection in a weeks time, when this happens I'll take a deeper look into your problem if no one else has helped you sort it out yet.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
AdviserChip

Quote:
Repair the Steam Service

This may also indicate a Steam Service failure. Please try repairing the Steam Service:
  • Exit Steam.
  • Click Start > Run (Windows Key + R)
  • Type the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair

(If you have installed Steam to another path, please replace C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam with the correct path.)

This command requires administrator privileges and may take a few minutes.
Should using the repair steam service do anything other than just this? No text ever showed up.
http://i.imgur.com/rXUUdhE.png
AdviserChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
snh

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviserChip View Post
Should using the repair steam service do anything other than just this? No text ever showed up.
http://i.imgur.com/rXUUdhE.png
I cannot say for sure what should be expected from the input provided, I've only copied what's already on the Steam support website. What I can tell you is that when I solved this issue for myself, and repaired the Steam service, the command prompt window popped up for a mere second or two and then closed itself without displaying any text other than the command entered.

I don't think any output is to be expected, but give it a bash and please let us know if your issue is resolved or not.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
DarkBandicoot

EDIT - Just realized what thread location this is in, and it's not TF2 (I was just sent here). But can this still help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomerADS View Post
This is an (English) guide for accessing DEP settings on Windows XP:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/566/x...n-feature-dep/
I use Windows XP and trying to make sense of this, but I need some help on something.

When I do the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select", there are 3 things it's telling me to add, which are:

- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Internet Explorer
- Plugin Container for Firefox

Should I tick all 3 boxes?

For the record I did anyway and the next thing it's telling me to do on that website is to select your application. I have no idea what this means. The open box opened up in my Documents Folder, so am I suppose to select this "application" here or what?

I've gotten this VAC message twice now in TF2, so it would be nice to stop it. Thanks in advance.

P.S Also that Steam Service Repair thing above... I can't seem to find the folder from that command, and I'm not sure if it's in another location, but I don't think it is.

Last edited by DarkBandicoot: 06-13-2014 at 01:31 PM.
DarkBandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Wemox50

I just tried writing ' bcdedit.exe /deletevalue nx ' in the CMD but this is what comes up http://puu.sh/aB4pw/f3cc64d576.png
Wemox50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive