Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 09-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Trizik

Post Day of Defeat: Source server setup guide (installation, server.cfg, motd)

This guide lays out the necessary steps to get a Windows Day of Defeat: Source dedicated server running and provides general configuration information. Follow these instructions step by step:

STEP 1: Create a server folder
I suggest C:\srcds

STEP 2: Download & install HldsUpdateTool.exe
Found at http://www.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe
Save the downloaded file anywhere except the server folder, but be sure to install the package to the server folder! Read again if confused.

STEP 3: Download Day of Defeat: Source server files
Open the Command Prompt: click 'Start', click 'Run', and type "cmd" in the box
Type cd C:\srcds
Type hldsupdatetool -command update -game dods -dir "."
Depending on your connection speed, you may have to wait a few hours
When the download is complete, it will say "HLDS installation up to date"

STEP 4 (optional): Configure server.cfg
Day of Defeat: Source is almost identical to other Source games in the cvar world. There are extinct cvars as well as new ones, but for the most part the global cvars are still there and active. View the complete cvarlist or the shortened cvarlist showing only dod, mp, and sv cvars. Below is an example server.cfg containing a selected group of 100% functional cvars that affect Day of Defeat: Source:
Quote:
// last modified 10:23 AM 6/4/2006

// **************************************
// server name
hostname "Day of Defeat: Source server" // Name of the server.

// passswords
rcon_password "yourPASSWORDhere" // Remote control password.
sv_password "" // Server password for entry into multiplayer games. Password = private, no password = public.

// specific Day of Defeat: Source cvars
dod_bonusround "1" // If true, the winners of the round can attack in the intermission. Default: 1
dod_bonusroundtime "15" // Time after round win until round restarts. Default: 15
dod_enableroundwaittime "1" // Enable timers to wait between rounds. Default: 1
mp_allowrandomclass "1" // Allow players to select random class. Default: 1
mp_combinemglimits "0" // Set to 1 to combine the class limit cvars for mg34 and mg42. New limit is sum of two. Default: 0
mp_tickpointinterval "30" // Delay between point gives. Default: 30
mp_limit_allies_assault "-1" // Class limit for team: Allies class: Assault. Default: -1
mp_limit_allies_mg "-1" // Class limit for team: Allies class: Machinegunner. Default: -1
mp_limit_allies_rifleman "-1" // Class limit for team: Allies class: Rifleman. Default: -1
mp_limit_allies_rocket "-1" // Class limit for team: Allies class: Rocket. Default: -1
mp_limit_allies_sniper "-1" // Class limit for team: Allies class: Sniper. Default: -1
mp_limit_allies_support "-1" // Class limit for team: Allies class: Support. Default: -1
mp_limit_axis_assault "-1" // Class limit for team: Axis class: Assault. Default: -1
mp_limit_axis_mg "-1" // Class limit for team: Axis class: Machinegunner. Default: -1
mp_limit_axis_rifleman "-1" // Class limit for team: Axis class: Rifleman. Default: -1
mp_limit_axis_rocket "-1" // Class limit for team: Axis class: Rocket. Default: -1
mp_limit_axis_sniper "-1" // Class limit for team: Axis class: Sniper. Default: -1
mp_limit_axis_support "-1" // Class limit for team: Axis class: Support. Default: -1
mp_warmup_time "0" // Warmup time length in seconds. Default: 0
sv_autojointeam "0" // Skip the class and team menus and join a team immediately. Default: 0

// sv cvars
sv_allowdownload "1" // Allow clients to download files. Default: 1
sv_allowupload "1" // Allow clients to upload customizations files. Default: 1
sv_alltalk "0" // Players can hear all other players, no team restrictions. Default: 0
sv_cheats "0" // Allow cheats on server. Default: 0
sv_consistency "1" // Whether the server enforces file consistency for critical files. Default: 1
sv_gravity "800" // World gravity. Default: 800
sv_lan "0" // Server is a lan server (no heartbeat, no authentication, no non-class C addresses). Default: 0
sv_maxspeed "320" // Maximum speed a player can move. Default: 320
sv_pausable "0" // Is the server pausable. Default: 0
sv_region "1" // The region of the world to report this server in. Default: -1
sv_timeout "45" // After this many seconds without a message from a client, the client is dropped. Default: 65
sv_voiceenable "1" // Microphone communication. Default: 1

// mp cvars
mp_allowspectators "1" // Toggles whether the server allows spectator mode or not. Default: 1
mp_autokick "1" // Kick idle/team-killing players. Default: 0
mp_chattime "10" // Amount of time players can chat after the game is over. Default: 10
mp_flashlight "1" // Allow flashlight. Default: 0
mp_footsteps "1" // Players can hear footsteps. Default: 1
mp_forcecamera "1" // Restricts spectator modes for dead players. Default: 0
mp_fraglimit "0" // Max number of kills any player can accumulate before server changes maps. Default: 0
mp_friendlyfire "1" // Allow team damage. Default: 0
mp_limitteams "1" // Max # of players 1 team can have over another. Default: 2
mp_timelimit "45" // Game time per map in minutes. Default: 0
mp_winlimit "7" // Max number of rounds one team can win before server changes maps. Default: 0

// bandwidth and rates
sv_maxrate "30000" // Max bandwidth rate allowed on server, 0 = unlimited. Default: 0
sv_minrate "0" // Min bandwidth rate allowed on server, 0 = unlimited. Default: 0
sv_maxupdaterate "66" // Maximum updates per second that the server will allow. Default: 60
sv_minupdaterate "0" // Minimum updates per second that the server will allow. Default: 10
decalfrequency "10" // Amount of time in seconds a player can spray their decal. Default: 10
fps_max "300" // Frame rate limiter. Default: 300

// server logging
log "on" // Control logging. on = enable logs, off = disable logs.
sv_logbans "1" // Log server bans in the server logs. Default: 0
sv_logecho "1" // Echo log information to the console. Default: 1
sv_logfile "1" // Log server information in the log file. Default: 1
sv_log_onefile "1" // Log server information to only one file. Default: 0

// server admin contact
sv_contact "admin@domain.com" // Contact email for server sysop.

// web server (http) download URL
sv_downloadurl "" // Location from which clients can download missing files.

// security
exec "banned_user.cfg"
exec "banned_ip.cfg"
writeid
writeip

// addons
//exec "mani_server.cfg"

echo "*************** server.cfg loaded ***************"
To use this example server.cfg, copy & paste the above "code" into Notepad and save it as server.cfg in C:\srcds\dod\cfg

STEP 5 (optional): Customize motd.txt
Just like other Half-Life/Half-Life 2 games, the message of the day (motd) that pops up every time you join the server can be customized by editing C:\srcds\dod\motd.txt in Notepad. HTML can be used but isn't required. To load a web site instead, simply put the URL in motd.txt and nothing else.

STEP 6: Set the server's command line
C:\srcds\srcds.exe -console -game dod +ip 111.111.111.111 -port 27015 +map dod_anzio +maxplayers 24 -tickrate 66

There are basically three ways to do this:
  • Option #1 (no crash protection): Create a shortcut to srcds.exe on your desktop, right click on the shortcut, select 'Properties', and edit the 'Target' field
  • Option #2 (crash protection, ping booster, and more - highly recommended): Download ServerChecker and edit the server's 'Executable' field
  • Option #3 (some crash protection): Copy & paste the following "code" into Notepad and save it in the server folder as srcds.bat
Quote:
@echo off
cls
echo Protecting srcds from crashes...
echo To shut down srcds, close this window first.
title Day of Defeat: Source dedicated server
:srcds
echo (%time%) srcds started.
start /wait C:\srcds\srcds.exe -console -game dod +ip 111.111.111.111 -port 27015 +map dod_anzio +maxplayers 24 -tickrate 66
echo (%time%) WARNING: srcds closed or crashed, restarting.
goto srcds
The +ip value must match the server's external IP.

STEP 7: Launch the server
Depending on the option you used, double click the shortcut on your desktop -or- click the 'Start' button in ServerChecker -or- double click the .bat file in the server folder. When the server is online, the console will say:

Connection to Steam servers successful.

DONE!
That's about all there is to it. I plan to update this thread as more information becomes available. Feel free to add missing information, tips, and comments. Below is additional information you may find useful.

Taking control with rcon
rcon stands for "remote control." It basically allows anyone with the correct rcon_password (defined in server.cfg) to control the server from the console without any addons. For example, it can change cvars on the fly and execute cvars to perform actions such as kick, ban, change map, and even server shut down. Although it is a very powerful tool, it has limitations and should be treated with care.

The proper syntax is:
rcon command variable

To login to rcon, open the console and type:
rcon_password yourPASSWORDhere

To open the console, press the ~ (tilda) key. You might have to enable it first:
Options > Keyboard > Advanced > Enable developer console (~)

Once logged in, use the syntax with cvars and variables from the cvarlist to do just about anything you please. Example: rcon say "Howdy!" will send a message from "Console" to everyone in the server. More examples can be found here.

Beyond the basics with addons
Addons are third party files that enhance the game with extra features such as administration menus, stats, sound/visual effects, team kill punishments, team balancing, weapon restrictions, reserved slots, automatic protection, player interaction, gameplay modes, and the list goes on.

One of the most popular addons and my favorite is Mani Admin Plugin or M-A-P for short. M-A-P has all of the features mentioned above plus a whole lot more and best of all it's compatible with Day of Defeat: Source. Like the Day of Defeat: Source server, M-A-P has its own configurations that are crucial to a server's success. To ease the install process, here's a short step by step guide:
  1. Shut down the server.
  2. Download the latest version of M-A-P for DoD: Source from http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com/
  3. Extract the contents of the zipped file to C:\srcds
  4. Open C:\srcds\dod\cfg\server.cfg with Notepad and add exec "mani_server.cfg" on a new line.
  5. Open C:\srcds\dod\cfg\mani_server.cfg with Notepad and change the values to customize M-A-P the way you want it. Here's a configured mani_server.cfg that works well with Day of Defeat: Source if you don't feel like sifting through it.
  6. Open C:\srcds\dod\cfg\mani_admin_plugin\adminlist.txt with Notepad and put your Steam ID on a new line. To get your Steam ID, join a server, type status in the console, and write down the number next to your name that looks something like STEAM_0:0:1234567. The "STEAM_" prefix is part of your Steam ID.
  7. Launch the server.
  8. To access the admin menu in the game, type admin in the console or type bind f12 "admin" in the console and hit your F12 key.
  9. That's it! If you are stuck, refer to the M-A-P Documentation and the M-A-P forums for more information.
Troubleshooting

Video guide: Configuring Windows Explorer (optional)
http://www.ezyguides.com/video/windows-explorer.htm

Video guide: Downloading the DoD: Source server files (slightly different from step 3, but same result)
http://www.ezyguides.com/video/dod.htm

Video guide: Configuring server.cfg (step 4 visual)
http://www.ezyguides.com/video/server-cfg2.htm

Couldn't allocate dedicated server UDP port
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...88#post3546388

Suspicious/erroneous console messages
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...55#post3608155

ServerChecker keeps restarting my server
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...84#post3564984

Thanks to Bones56k for the video guides.

Last edited by Trizik: 12-06-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
deadscott

Thank you, very good job. This needs to be sticky most ricky ticky.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
Rogue_BA

This is good, someone STICKY this please!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:04 AM   #4
jesus likes pie

I'm sure you're going to have a sticky thread now....lol.

I suggest you change C:\srcds to C:\DoD. I myself like keeping my DOD:S and CS:S installs in seperate folders.
jesus likes pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
[COPS]Riggs

Re: Day of Defeat: Source dedicated server starter guide (installation, server.cfg, m

Quote:
Originally posted by Trizik
STEP 6: Set the server's command line
C:\srcds\srcds.exe -console -game dod +ip 111.111.111.111 -port 27015 +map dod_anzio +maxplayers 24 -tickrate 33[/B]
Is'nt -ticrate 33 default? and yes why put it in the commandline?

Mani config alsĺ is set to be exec but you do not explain that here, so why exec it?

But otherwise a geat guide, thanks for that and keep up the good work.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Trizik

Re: Re: Day of Defeat: Source dedicated server starter guide (installation, server.cf

Actually, 66 is the default tickrate. I also thought the default was 33 until I read Alfred's post:
Quote:
66Hz is needed for DoD:S to keep an accurate simulation of the physics
objects and complex player hit boxes. We tested at 33Hz but the game
didn't feel right at the slower speed (where CS:S has been optimized to
work at 33Hz with its light use of physics objects and special hitbox
design).

- Alfred
The thread has been updated.

Last edited by Trizik: 10-01-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Trizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
~~ArdEnuff~~

Quote:
Originally posted by jesus likes pie
I'm sure you're going to have a sticky thread now....lol.

I suggest you change C:\srcds to C:\DoD. I myself like keeping my DOD:S and CS:S installs in seperate folders.
That shouldn't be a problem. The CS:S part of SRCDS is installed into the C:\SRCDS\CSTRIKE folder. When you install DOD:S it should just go into C:\SRCDS\DOD folder.
~~ArdEnuff~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Godgoyle

Doesn't there need to be something in the shortcut like + exec server.cfg or whatever your servers config file is?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
Trizik

No, server.cfg and mapcycle.txt are loaded by default.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
jesus likes pie

Quote:
Originally posted by ~~ArdEnuff~~
That shouldn't be a problem. The CS:S part of SRCDS is installed into the C:\SRCDS\CSTRIKE folder. When you install DOD:S it should just go into C:\SRCDS\DOD folder.
I know. I was just saying that for me at least, it's easier.
jesus likes pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
GrossKopf

Can a moderator sticky this? It would be a good idea...
Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 AM   #12
rjerina

for some reason my server is only playing dod_anzio. it isnt cycling through the maps. i looked at maplist.txt but all of them are in there. isnt there supposed to be a mapcycle.txt? maybe that should be added to your guide too

thanks for the guide, got me going.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:09 AM   #13
GrossKopf

Quote:
Originally posted by rjerina
for some reason my server is only playing dod_anzio. it isnt cycling through the maps. i looked at maplist.txt but all of them are in there. isnt there supposed to be a mapcycle.txt? maybe that should be added to your guide too

thanks for the guide, got me going.
Yup, you are supposed to have a mapcycle.txt. Just make a copy of your maplist.txt and you should be good to go.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #14
Trizik

mapcycle.txt wasn't included with the first releases of the DoD: Source server files, but it's now included with the latest update.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
Dunno

Awesome Job!!!

Really Appreciate the effort here..

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)