Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
Karlos_Modder

Angry Areaportal Dosn't Work

I getting really p***ed off!
I can't get areaportals to work with Occluder. I have a wall with a door and door frame (func_detail).
When i use only the areaportal it compiles fine. But as soon as i place Occludes in the wall and make them flush with the areaportal, I get this error.

Occluder "" straddles multiple areas. This is invalid!

What does that mean?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
vecima

i could be wrong, but i don't think you're supposed to 'seal off' areas with occluders. so, to optimise a map that is two rooms you could:

1: put an areaportal in the doorway between the rooms. if the state is set to follow the door (and there is in fact a door) then the engine will only render the room the player is in while the door is closed, and will render both (oversimplified to express the idea) when the door is open. make sure the yellow bounding box of your door is outside the areaportal on both sides.

2: alternately, if you have a doorway, but no door, and you want to stop props in the opposite room from rendering untill the player is looking through the door you could put occluders in the walls (not in the doorway). this will stop the engine from rendering the props in the next room until they are no longer 'behind' the occluder. if you were to put the occluder in the doorway, the player wouldn't be able to see the props when they should (the props would only render once the player walked through the occluder). additionally, with an occluder in a doorway you'll probably get an error like the one your getting, which may cause your occluder to not work at all. also, be sure to only use the occlude texture on the faces of the func_occluder you want to occlude. use the skip texture on the rest of the faces.

ordinarily you shouldn't need both occluders AND areaportals for a single doorway, though there may be some extreme circumstances where that is the case.

Last edited by vecima: 06-25-2007 at 05:42 AM.
vecima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
MiKa523

Your occluder may not touch the areaportal brush.
Moreover the error maybe appears, because of your room architecture, one occluder covering a room that is split in multiple parts by worldbrushes e.g.

Google for the error to get more info.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design