Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
gulliwog

Is this possible in a CS: map?

Can anyone tell me if its possible to put a sort CCTV system in a CS:S map? I basically wanted to know if it is possible to create a "screen" or "display" upon which I can project a real-time image being "filmed" in another part of my map, creating a CCTV like system, showing other players as they pass. I can't remember if I have seen this kind of thing done with source or not. I have seen it in other games, although I don't know if the effect was really being achieved in the way I am describing.
Also while I am writing, can someone tell me the easiest way to create the following; when any player passes through a certain point in my map I want an alarm or buzzer to sound and a light to flash three or four times. This effect needs to be triggered every time a player goes through the taget area and must last for three to four seconds.
Thanks
GuLLiWoG
Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
applejack

i can't tell you how to do it, but it's definitely possible in any source map, as it's a big part of hl2. i'm sure someone will give you some information shortly.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
blacksmith123

Banned
Camera - Ok, so just create a point_camera pointing at wherever you want in the map, then create a brush that you want to be your screen, texture it with nodraw on all faces, except the one you want to look at. For that one, texture it with dev/dev_monitor or some other monitor texture you want, but make sure to "fit" it to the face in the texture application thing. Make the brush a func_monitor, select your camera as the "target camera", and there you go!

Alarm thing - Create a trigger_multiple that just sets off an ambient_generic with the alarm sound you want. To make the light flash, just select a "rendermode" you like. The I/O should look something like this:
OnTrigger ->(soundname) ->PlaySound -> delay of 0
OnTrigger ->(soundname) ->StopSound -> delay of 4
OnTrigger ->(lightname) ->Turnon -> delay of 0
OnTrigger ->(lightname) ->Turnoff -> delay of 4

Then just make sure that your sound has the "in not looped" flag unchecked, that your light has the "initially dark" flag ticked, and that the trigger has a "delay before reset" of at least 4.
blacksmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
gulliwog

Thats great guys, thanks Blacksmith for the clear explainations, I will try all that tonight when I get home. I was worried the video screens would be really difficult to make, but it sounds easy. Do the they have a very high rendering/running cost, I would have though that yes. I wanted to make a "Security Office" in my map with maybe four display screens in one room... but maybe thats too much.
Anyway thanks again.
GuLLiWoG.
gulliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
lodle

There is a limit of 1 per map and yes they do come at a cost. Since your rendering two frames instead of one you can expect up to twice the performance hit.

Last edited by lodle: 07-01-2007 at 06:47 PM.
lodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
SeverinDK

My hammer says point_camera is obsolete... Hmmmm? :-\
Old 07-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
lodle

yeah because its not it the css fdg file (file that describes the entitys to hammer). It will still work.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
SeverinDK

Hmmm.. I have done everything as you guys says.. But my screen is black
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Latrosicarius

Sometimes mine is black and other times it works. It's very unreliable. Furthermore, it often only shows a still image and won't show a real-time pic of what is happening.
Latrosicarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
gulliwog

One a map, thats a shame... As far as performance is concerned, would it help if I put the "screen" brush into a "sealed" room with a func_door_rotating linked to an open/close areaportal. If you are outside of the room with the door/portal closed will the rendering cost be ignored?
Thanks for the help all
GuLLiWoG
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
gulliwog

Okay I tried putting this camera thing together. I cannot find either func_monitor or the point camera entities in my lists. This is for a Counter Strike Source map, it can definitely be done in CS:S? The only camera entity I have is point_devshot_camera and I can't find anything that resembles a monitor entity. Am I missing something here?
Thanks
GuLLiWoG

Last edited by gulliwog: 07-03-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: First question no longer valid
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
lodle

open/close area portals dont work in multiplayer (same as onclurs thingys [not spelt right but i just finished 16 hours of work] and another one i cant think of atm) because if some one else is in that room it has to render them for every one. Basic area portals work fine.

Ok read my post above. The entitys you need for this are not in the css fdg file! you can add them in ether by opening your map in hl2 hammer or by turning smart edit off. I suggest opening them up in hl2 hammer.

Another way is to downlaod a better fdg file (google css fdg)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion