Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 07-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
EvolvedAnt

Exclamation Inconsitency between HL2 and HL2 Deathmatch

I've been designing a map for Half-Life 2 Deathmatch.
I usualy edit my maps for HL2:SP first since buildcubemap command seems to only work if I do it while my map is running in SP. Afterwards I copy the map into HL2M. I noticed some inconsitencys between mapping for Half-Life 2 single player, and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch.

I've found that some entities that work well in HL2 SP do not function the same or at all within HL2 DM. I would like to know how I can fix this, hopefully I am just doing something wrong.

My first problem is with func_smokevolume. In Half-Life 2 Single Player, the smoke sprites generated from that entitie get lit by the surrounding light entities thus making a white fog look. This is the correct functionality. In Half-Life 2 Deathmatch the same compiled map will have the smoke sprites unlit, leaving nothing but a black smoke that looks nothing like fog, and everything like smog. The sprite used is smokegrenade1.spr or smokegrenade.spr.

My second problem is with func_precipitation. In HL2 SP you can see rain, in HL2 DM you see nothing. Now another interesting part, if you set func_precipitation to type 'ash', you see nothing in HL2 SP, but in HL2 DM you see purple and black sprites that fall just like ash or snowflakes should, except for the apparently missing sprite texture.

I'm not sure why these entities perform differently but for the level i am creating, I really REALLY need func_smokevolume and func_precipitation to work in HL2 DM. Please if anyone can offer even the slightest insight..

Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
haymaker

Well I can't offer too much tech advice, just that there are maps out there with what you want, so we know it's possible. There's a revenholm rip with a buch of goofy colored smoke, I forget what it's called; and dm_tower_arena ( diff versions ) has a nasty rainstorm on the go.
haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
EvolvedAnt

I will look into those maps and check it out. If they do work, then perhaps I am doing something wrong. I'm thinking maybe I can create a very simple single room map with both entities and upload it so you guys can test out the differences yourself.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
lodle

You should always use hammer in hl2dm config mode as the entitys might and will have different properties. Also since hl2dm is multiplayer alot of code changes are needed as to reduce network bandwidth (in single player its basically infinite) and you will find that alot of entites are removed or act different.
lodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
zyklus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodle View Post
You should always use hammer in hl2dm config mode as the entitys might and will have different properties. Also since hl2dm is multiplayer alot of code changes are needed as to reduce network bandwidth (in single player its basically infinite) and you will find that alot of entites are removed or act different.
I agree. You should always set ssdk configurations to the game you are working with... Besides, can't you run an hl2dm map on hl2sp?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
EvolvedAnt

I suppose your right, that may be part of the problem as well. I will switch the config to HL2DM and see if that works.

On a side note, is it normal that buildcubemaps command does not function entirely if ran from HL2DM? That was one of the main reasons I built for HL2SP first.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #7
Taymar

Buildcubemaps does function with HL2DM you just have to ask it nicely. . . . In all seriousness yes it will work but because of the code changes from SP to MP things are a little different. Having several cube maps on a MP map can slow things down, it's like the 'Cheap' and 'Expensive' water thing with source.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
EvolvedAnt

Buildcubemaps command is not working at all for me in HL2DM. It displays all the photo taking, but it does not apply anything to the windows, etc. Even with only 1 env_cubemap, it still does not work unless the command is given while running the map in HL2 Single Player.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
vecima

this may not be the problem, but i believe that after building cubemaps you may need to shut the game down, then re launch it and re load the map.
vecima is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design