Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
MichaelTannock

Look at me!

Iím trying to make a prop face the player at all times, but I donít know how. I desperately need to know how to do this. Itís important.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
blacksmith123

Banned
are you saying you want it to just spin to face the player? or are you wanting it to animate to look at the player, like a combine camera/turret thing?
blacksmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
haymaker

What particular prop? Can you fake it 2d? If you create a move_rope to keyframe_rope the height you want, put any texture in the "rope material" field and change its width, that texture will always turn to face the player. Works for spooky eyeballs and stuff
haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
MichaelTannock

I want it to either animate like the combine camera/turret to always look at the player, or to spin to always face in the players direction.
Unfortunately the prop Iím working on canít be faked in 2d, because I want it to have some three dimensional depth that becomes very noticeable when you are close to it.

Last edited by MichaelTannock: 07-23-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
haymaker

If this is for SP you might be able to tie/parent it to an AI entity or something, I have no experience in that, but I remeber hl1 had tags for AI that allowed it to "see player" and be "mad at player" etc
haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
lodle

If this is for a mod it can be done in code.
lodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
siodmak

yep, just in the ItemPostFrame(), or Pre add SetAbsAngles( -player->EyeAngles() ) but first you would want to zero the pitch
then position by:
Vector eyeDir;
AngleVectors( player->EyeAngles(), &eyeDir );
SetAbsOrigin( eyeDir*distance );
Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
MichaelTannock

Well, I can’t find an appropriate entity to parent my prop to, so I’ll have to try the coding method, unfortunately I’m not very good with code.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Angry Beaver

just any NPC should do, then you simply make them invisible and non solid and use the parent attachment input to make sure its attached to their head/eyes so it follows you and then just use faceposer to make sure thier always set to watch you.

at least that'd be what i tried. If that failed i'd just use the entity that applies relative motion watching something that follows you, i think you can get spotlights to do it but i know you can't compare the NPCs view like that.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion