Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom series

Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
RabidZombie

Source Ports, and how to use them!

The ULTIMATE Doom Source Port guide!

All the Doom based games seem to just be the original games bundled with a less than ideal DosBox set-up. Which is why I'm making a thread about Doom Source Ports.

A Source Port is a fan-made program that allows you to play Doom on systems not originally intended (or supported, like XP) or with new features and improvements, including 3D platforms support, OpenGL graphics, mouse look, modern multiplayer standards and higher resolutions. There are literally tons of Doom Source ports, so here I will only list the notable ones. All these support both Doom 1, 2, Final Doom and Master levels. Most support Heretic and HeXen too!
  • ZDoom
  • GZDoom
  • ZDoomGL
  • Eternity Engine
  • Doomsday
  • Skulltag
  • EDGE
  • Chocolate Doom
  • ZDaemon
  • Odamex
  • Doom Legacy

Single Player based Source Ports

These source ports are designed to provide a stable base with many enhanced and new features allowing a solid single player experience for the original and community made levels for Doom.

The most advance is easily ZDoom, and all based on it. Supporting not only all extensions HeXen and Heretic added to the engine, it also has many new features, including a complex scripting system and support for the other Doom Engine game Strife! ZDoom has been the base for a few other Source Ports as well, namely GZDoom, ZDoomGL adding improved OpenGL graphics and Skulltag and ZDaemon adding superior multiplayer support.

EDGE is another very modifiable Doom source, which is also quite popular, but doesn't have as great support for Hexen and Heretic. It still has many cool features.

Doom Legacy, based of the same base engine as EDGE (DosDoom) has advance features, including 3D floors and improved net code as well as an OpenGL renderer, but unfortunately it suffers from some bugs. It is also quite modifiable.

Eternity engine, originally starting as a Doom total conversion, is an advance port with a lot of modifiable possibility. It is not as popular as ZDoom for general Doom playing, but gets most of its support from people aiming to make their own Doom Engine games, free of the original Doom resources.

Chocolate Doom doesn't have advance features. Instead it caters for the people wishing to just play Doom. It is an attempt to recreate Doom down to the smallest detail, keeping support for the original demos/speedruns and all the levels and bugs, so that people who can't run the original Doom can still perform speed runs and make demos that the original Doom can play. (Chocolate Doom doesn't have any new features over Doom what so ever. It is the only Source Port listed here which doesn't support vertical mouse look)

Multiplayer Player based Source Ports

Skulltag, Odamex, ZDaemon and csDoom are the main multiplayer Source Ports. All based on ZDoom (ZDaemon an older ZDoom), they all have some advance features, however Skulltag has the most modding capability and has a new OpenGL rendering engine, providing what I think is the most solid Doom multiplayer experience.

However, if you looking for more Doom faithful multiplayer, I recommend either csDoom or the Chocolate Doom beta.

ZDaemon is the most popular Source Port, mainly because of its age and improvement over the original Doom's multiplayer. Although it is more faithful to Doom than Skulltag, it still has many features that the original Doom lacked such as teamplay and capture the flag, and possibly the best netcode.

The best thing you can do is try all of multiplayer ports available to you, and see which one you prefer the most. I can't know which one you'll like most.

How to's

All Source Ports require an "IWAD" file. This is the data file that comes with any Doom Engine game. AFAIK all of the Doom engine game's '.wad's are located within /Steam/Steamapps/Common/. It should be easy to tell what .wad is for what game, but here's a list:

doom.wad is Doom I
doom2.wad is Doom II
tnt.wad and plutonia.wad are Final Doom
hexen.wad is for Hexen.

Most of the time, these IWADs need simple be dropped in the Source Port's directory, but it varies from program to program, so read the documentation. Master Levels for Doom II has 20 wad files. These are not IWADs and need to be run as PWADs. See the documentation for the Source Port to see how to run PWADs.

Alternatively, if you want to run the Source Port from Steam, you can follow a guide kindly written by 404notfound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404notfound View Post
Running source-ported games from Steam

Now, with the new beta, it's possible to make just about anything run from Steam. But you can actually make it so the original shortcuts to Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 (but NOT Master Doom), etc. will point to a ZDoom (or other source port) version of the game.

When you select one of the old Doom games from Steam, it's actually just running a .bat file, or batch file. A batch file is basically just a list of what you would type into the command line, conveniently packed into one file that you can click on to execute.

What you want to do is modify the .bat files so that they'll run the source port instead of DOSbox (which is what is used by default to run the old DOS games).

First, copy over all the essential files of the source port. I use ZDoom, so I'll use that as an example. ZDoom requires three files in addition to the Doom .wad: fmod.dll, zdoom.exe, and zdoom.pk3. *

* If you've tried playing and have messed with some settings already, another file will be generated: zdoom-<username>.ini. This file should be copied too if it's there.

Take these files and copy them into Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base. Then go up a folder into Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name> and you should find two or three .bat files. I'll use Doom 2 as an example.

In the folder, the three .bat files are doom2 + mouse.bat, doom2.bat, and testapp.bat. You don't have to mess with testapp.bat; the other two correspond to the two options you can pick when you try to launch Doom 2: with or without mouse support.

Since I'm assuming you'll want mouse support, crack open doom2 + mouse.bat in a text editor, like Notepad. The contents should read as follows:

Code:
.\base\dosbox -conf .\base\doom2m.conf -fullscreen -exit
exit
Just change the top line to something like this and save it:

Code:
.\base\zdoom.exe
It will be different if you're using another source port.

To check if you've done everything correctly, try running the .bat file. If the game starts up, then everything should be set; you can just pick the game from Steam, and it will start the nice source ported version of the game instead of using the DOSbox emulator.

Short version:
  • Copy source port files to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base
  • Go to Steam\SteamApps\Common\<game name> and open the appropriate .bat file in a text editor
  • Change the top line to: .\base\<source port executable>

I haven't had too much experience with all the other source ports, but I hope this is enough information to do it with any of them.

That's everything(unless I forgot something)!

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask, and someone will probably get back to you soon. If I have forgotten anything or if anything is wrong, please PM me or post. I'll try to keep this up to date (I doubt anything will change though).

Thanks, and good night!

Last edited by RabidZombie: 08-28-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #2
RabidZombie

Reserved.

Sticky please!

I left out Boom and other S/ Ports either because they're old or because they don't have anything the ones I posted don't. I needed to remove some because otherwise the list would be huge as well. I do know that, so don't point it out.

As I said, got anything to ask, ask away.

Last edited by RabidZombie: 08-17-2007 at 04:23 AM.
RabidZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
RKN2K

Quote:
hexen.wad is for Hexen.
It may also be the 4-level demo.
RKN2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Hwkiller

Volunteer Moderator
Doom ran fine on xp though... I just switched it to 98 compatibility mode and it was flawless.

After a while, I used zdaemon just for the added functionality.

"By wrongly correcting my use of "effect" as a verb, you have affected me by effecting negative affect, and this is an undesired effect."
Hwkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
XStixsmaster

Banned
why use the source stuff...it isnt right....if you are a true classical gameplay player you wont be a baby and will stick to the true classical gameplay not take time to get source ports that you dont need...

---Stixsmaster
XStixsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
freebird93

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStixsmaster View Post
why use the source stuff...it isnt right....if you are a true classical gameplay player you wont be a baby and will stick to the true classical gameplay not take time to get source ports that you dont need...

---Stixsmaster
Well, if you're too "good" to use ports that allow for proper multiplayer online, don't use them, and don't try to call people stupid for wanting that multiplayer, or perhaps smoothened textures or whatever. It's the same game, just made a bit better, and if you can't live with it, don't, and don't try to convince other people that what they think is wrong and what you think is right. Thank you
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
XStixsmaster

Banned
ok no where did I say you were stupid...I just say it is wrong in my opinion...and well that if you want internet play get sumthing like fuhquake...all it does is give mouse control...well it makes that better and then it gives internet gameplay...but it does not try and amp up sumthing that is already badass as is...

---Stixsmaster
Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Dyslixec

ZDaemon keeps doom in its orignal format, all it does is make a multiplayer portion to doom II more accessible. Most of these ports do the same thing but add new multiplayer modes such as capture the flag, 'skull tag', etc. And Doomsday is just like FUHQuake, it puts doom in open gl format and gives mouse look, it in no way changes the values of the game other then visual and basic control features, just like fuhquake.
Dyslixec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
XStixsmaster

Banned
well that is good...but if you get what I mean then you should possibly agree with what I am saying...

---Stixsmaster
Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
Dyslixec

I understand what you are saying, tbh all I use is zdaemon / skulltag for doom I / II multiplayer, I personally dont like the graphical enhancement ports at all. I prefer the original look and style ;D. Same way with quake I.
Dyslixec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 AM   #11
ShaunJ1380

I for one think it's awesome and have already found a few hours of enjoyment. Thanks for the post. I had no clue this was out there. I'm absolutely in love with Doom once again!
ShaunJ1380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #12
RabidZombie

Quote:

---Stixsmaster
Which is why I added Chocolate Doom (I play on the term Vanilla Doom meaning the unmodified original). It is the exact same as Doom, only it runs on modern systems. The only difference is that in Chocolate Doom it's network code uses TCP/UDP instead of Doom's old XP incompatible code. And that makes no difference to the game play. Just makes it easier to play online on our systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslixec View Post
I understand what you are saying, tbh all I use is zdaemon / skulltag for doom I / II multiplayer, I personally dont like the graphical enhancement ports at all. I prefer the original look and style ;D. Same way with quake I.
I have to agree with you most of the time. Although I am partial to an increase resolution so all the walls are smooth at their edges.

As for Quake, I have to admit they've done impressive things with the engine source code (see Darkplaces) making it look pretty!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Tuskin

I Try running any Doom game Doomsday and I get this error

Quote:
Game state parameters:
All DGL textures deleted.
N_InitService: In/out UDP port 13209.
SetupLevel: MAP01
VerifyMapData: BEHAVIOR for "MAP01" could not be found.
Useable data will be generated automatically if needed.
DetermineMapDataFormat: (V2 GL Node Data)
(glBSP 2.20 | 2007-08-07 17:07:13.8590 | 0xe3e9ca07)
P_LoadMapData: MAP01
Loading Sidedef Texture IDs...
Group lines
Sector look up
Build line and subsector tables
R_InitLinks: Initializing
P_CheckLevel: Checking MAP01 for errors...

Level 1: Entryway
Author: id Software

Segmentation Violation
Tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
RabidZombie

Odd. What OS, Processor and Graphics Card are you running?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
mattjb

Quote:
ok no where did I say you were stupid...I just say it is wrong in my opinion...and well that if you want internet play get sumthing like fuhquake...all it does is give mouse control...well it makes that better and then it gives internet gameplay...but it does not try and amp up sumthing that is already badass as is...

---Stixsmaster
Apparently even John Carmack disagrees with you. Regarding the old Doom/Quake/Heretic/Hexen games:

Quote:
It all comes down to resources -- re-qualifying a release of anything takes a lot of time, money, and support, while just shipping the exact same executables was fairly straightforward. While Doom and Quake might be able to justify the work, there is no way a lot of the titles could, so the decision was pretty obvious.

I strongly urge people with a little initiative to go look at the various high quality source ports, because they are better in essentially every aspect than the original sources, but we aren't going to make any of them official.
mattjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Doom series