Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Theogrin

How to resolve crashes on Bioshock - answers, here.

Hi, all. Currently compiling a number of definitive issues and solutions thereof, which I hope might assist in the running of the game for anyone running XP. I'm afraid that I don't have Vista, so I might not be of much use there, but let's begin with the most common problems.

To begin with, I'm going to suggest to everyone that if they have the hard-drive space, they should immediately do a check of all resources and BACK THEM UP. Sometimes the only possible fix is a reinstall of Steam, and the last thing you want is to have to re-download it from the server.

If a reinstall of Steam is necessary, you should follow the steps here for a very clean reinstall. (I find that not EVERYTHING is absolutely necessary, but it certainly helps!)

In contrast, if you need to restore from a backup - always a good idea if something goes wrong - you can follow the steps here to do so.

Issues with the Steam verification system
Shut down the entirety of Steam and ensure that it's also not running in the Process Manager. Delete the ClientRegistry.blob file, and restart Steam. This will force it to check for any information again. Oftentimes this will also force Steam out of a fake offline mode, where it can't connect to the server at all. If this doesn't work, reinstall Steam (don't uninstall to start), and try again; it helps if you delete all files in the Steam directory except those originally installed by the program, OR - better yet! - simply follow the 'clean reinstallation' information above. Just make sure you DON'T delete your backup!

If you run into an issue with "Game not available", your best option is to either delete the 'config' directory and the associated .blob files, or a clean reinstallation of Steam. Frankly, all things considered, I would highly suggest the latter.

Issues with loading Bioshock
If running Vista, sometimes running it in a compatibility mode for Windows XP is a good idea. Aside from that, there are some helpful materials which might come in handy.

First, ensure that you have the most recent version of DirectX installed. For XP users, this can be found here, or for Vista users, it can instead be found at this page. Vista users should also, in all likelihood, install the DirectX 9.0c libraries, because in some cases they provide resources which Bioshock might need.

Second, ensure that you have the most recent drivers for your video card. NVidia users can find the 163.44 drivers here, whereas ATI users can find their own drivers here, depending in part on their operating system and device. Reinstall these if you already have, particularly if Bioshock is experiencing a crash periodically.

On occasion, the C++ distributable installed with Bioshock can cause errors. To resolve this, uninstall those through your Add/Remove Programs menu and reload Bioshock - they should automatically reinstall upon a reload.

The worst-case solution is if your files are somehow corrupted. If this happens, make the backup, possibly by directly copying the files onto another source rather than relying on Steam's utility - then delete local content in Steam, and try again. Unfortunately, this is a worst-case scenario, and should not be tried until you're absolutely certain you want to, as you'll have to download all 1.5-ish gigs again...

If you encounter the Bioshock.exe has stopped working error, then you may have been a pre-load customer, or certain files may not have decrypted themselves. You can find a thread with a link to replacement files here. (Direct link: here, but it's on FileFront so no clue how long it'll last.)

Alternately, if the "Bioshock.exe has stopped working" error is due to sound issues, a fix may be found here. HOWEVER, this has been known to cause a lot of issues in and of itself, including sound failing after the plane crash.

More information here as more problems reveal themselves.

Problems in playing Bioshock.
There is a known bug in the Medical sector of Rapture (and potentially elsewhere), causing a hard crash. This is most often identified while hacking every medical terminal in the area. I don't know what causes this or why, so the best bet for now is to save early, save often, and try not to hack TOO many things. (Yeah, I know.)

If you get a crash while switching from menu to menu before starting, that's probably the video card thing, and you should reinstall the drivers (listed above).

For other specific problem threads...
Preloaded version crashes at start. Contains INI files that should be properly decrypted.
Some general hints and tips for getting Bioshock to run on Vista.

Last edited by Theogrin: 08-23-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: More Possible Fixes

Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Jigoku

Volunteer Moderator
Nice post. I just edited in some colour to help break up the sections.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Theogrin

Ahh, thanks a ton. It looks a lot better now.

Any idea what's going on with the 'game not available' stuff? I imagine your server's being hammered, and whether or not there's word from on high is anyone's guess.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
naris

Talking

I had problems with BioShock. 1st had problem with Secu-Rom error, then got .ini files mentioned in thread linked to in 1st post, then had BioShock crashing.

I had steam "delete local content" and redownload it. This seems to have fixed it and now BioShock at least starts up (too late to actually play it now, so I haven't ventered in yet)...

Oh, and I'm running Windows Xp-x64...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Theogrin

Yeah...the solution of "Delete Local Content" is probably only the best idea if you have several hours away from the comp. I've already done it once, and I seriously have no inclination to try again.

I'll add it to the list!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Robert-12-21

Any idea on how to fix the bioshock.exe has stopped working problem on vista?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Jigoku

Volunteer Moderator
You should never have to delete content. Use the verification option. Not sure about the "game not available" problem but the delete clientregisrty.blob cure-all may help.

In that first section where you suggest a reinstall, use this procedure here:
Cleanly reinstalling Steam.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Theogrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-12-21 View Post
Any idea on how to fix the bioshock.exe has stopped working problem on vista?
Already edited, but follow the link to http://files.filefront.com//;8371717;;/ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigoku
In that first section where you suggest a reinstall, use this procedure here: Cleanly Reinstalling Steam
Done!

Oh, and the clientregistry.blob file fix didn't work for this. I'm going to reboot and see if that helps in any way - I begin to wonder if this is in some way linked to my prepurchase...

EDIT: Nope. A clean reinstall of Steam fixes the "game not available" issue. Will edit the main post for this.

Last edited by Theogrin: 08-22-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Getting the latest DX from Microsoft fixed my black screen on starting the game and the dreaded "bioshock.exe has stopped working" error. Nice thread.
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
ComradeScarlett

A lot of people are having sound issues.

I dunno what to call it, but some sounds don't play if another one is...

example:
I am fighting a copter-turret-bot with a shotgun, right?

The bot's shooting at me, but as I shoot my shotgun, the gun makes NO sound at all, yet the bot is.
After I downed the bot, I fire, and the sound is playing for the shotgun.

Is there any kind of fix for that?
ComradeScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
naris

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigoku View Post
You should never have to delete content. Use the verification option. Not sure about the "game not available" problem but the delete clientregisrty.blob cure-all may help..
I forgot to mention that I had already tried updating nVidia drivers to 163.44, installing DirectX from Aug 2007 redist. files, web update for DirectX, verfiy GCF, delete ClientBlob, etc., etc., etc. and in then in desperation resorted to the "delete local content" and reinstall approach -- which actually worked (The new drivers, DX, etc. might of also helped)

I also downloaded the Demo from nZone.com and installed it while steam was re-downloading the game, installed it (which also updated DirectX again) and played it -- don't know if that had anything with the reload working or not...

I suspect that something in the pre-load might of gotten fubared.

Last edited by naris: 08-22-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
gogokodo

I get the bioshock.exe stopped working, vista 32bit. So far none of this has helped me. I'm in the middle of a redownload and hopefully that will do something.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
Lumiinex

I'm having a lot of crashing problems on Vista 32-bit.

Should I download DirectX 10 regardless of my video card? I have a GeForce FX 570M, it came with my laptop.

Also, the card is based on the 8600 GT card. There are no new drivers specifically for my card, should I use the 8600 ones?

Last edited by Lumiinex: 08-22-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
Jigoku

Volunteer Moderator
You should always fully update to the latest release of DirectX. Current version is from August 2007.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
kson34

Lightbulb This is what worked for me...

Vista-32 Bit, Geforce 8800 GTX, got the Bioshock.exe has stopped working. Tried everything, .ini patch (they were still encrypted), DirectX 10 update, DirectX10 update from the demo, latest Nvidia drivers, Verify Game Cache, nothing worked. Finally, as a last resort I tried this (following it to the letter):

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...&postcount=100

And it worked like a charm. Played for several hours with no problems, not a bug yet...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2