Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)

Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Aikar

Question SteamBans.com - Pointless?

I was reading around and found this site... So im like cool a global ban list against hackers, keep them off my server!

http://www.steambans.com

then I read... You gotta be a 'team member' who's actively submitting cheaters to even be able to use this mod..

It just seems to me to be pointless. Why should a hacker care if he gets placed on this list when less than 4000 servers are even able to run it?

If usage was public, this mod would rock, cheaters would be severely punished if most servers used the mod.. But as it stands, why should the cheaters care?

I would love to protect my server, but Im not a dedicated 24/7 player, and nor do I how to identify cheaters who arnt using blatant cheats. Why should this disqualify me from protecting my servers from them connecting?

It just seems like the whole restricting protection defeats the purpose of the mod... It would be such a greater impact on them if anyone can use it.

What is everyone elses thought on this?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
madd-dogg

I don't understand why you can't just create your own team? I have been running the plugin for along time now without submitting any demos in all that time.

Your point about "why should a hacker care" Well it's designed to keep the cheaters off your server that have been deemed to be cheating by their admin team which is the entire point of the plugin. If you take a look at their forums there are certain locked threads that bear a striking resemblance to the threads in the VAC forum.

If you suspect someone of hacking then simply make a demo and make sure it has the sb_status command contained somewhere in the demo and then submit it to their site so their admin team can review the demo and and make a decision.

I think you are confused about the requirements needed to allow your server to run the SB plugin its actually very easy. The requirement are there though to protect against false bans, fake demos etc.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
By the time SteamBans reviews a submitted demo the hacker has probably already been nabbed by VAC.

Back when our server was very popular (full 32 players most of the day, with over 150 unique/new players connecting daily) in a one month time there was only 5 SteamBans hits.

During that same period we banned about 30 players for hacking (and no, we don't jump on banning everyone that plays good).

So yeah, point is I see it as a very minuscule improvement. Whether 5 less hackers a month is worth it for you, well, that's up to you.

The idea is good, however, unless all servers run the plug-in and all admins were proactive at recording and submitting hackers, the system is not going to work all that well.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Aikar

Quote:
Originally Posted by madd-dogg View Post
I don't understand why you can't just create your own team? I have been running the plugin for along time now without submitting any demos in all that time.

Your point about "why should a hacker care" Well it's designed to keep the cheaters off your server that have been deemed to be cheating by their admin team which is the entire point of the plugin. If you take a look at their forums there are certain locked threads that bear a striking resemblance to the threads in the VAC forum.

If you suspect someone of hacking then simply make a demo and make sure it has the sb_status command contained somewhere in the demo and then submit it to their site so their admin team can review the demo and and make a decision.

I think you are confused about the requirements needed to allow your server to run the SB plugin its actually very easy. The requirement are there though to protect against false bans, fake demos etc.
Hmm, then the wording on that site is VERY bad. As I read, you couldnt use the plugin unless you was one of the submitters. Ill look into it more.

But you also misunderstood my post about why cheaters should care. I meant that this addon is meant to help block cheaters, and make them not want to cheat, but with a low usage, cheaters wont care if they are on this list because a low number of servers even use it.

I'll look into setting it up, but that page i read sure sounded like you wasnt able to use it.

Oddly though, the page I read was sort of backwards from what you said though, it said you can join the public group and submit bans, but you need to join a private group to use it.

Are you sure your not mistaken my post for SourceBans? I already use that, and i fully understand what it does... I'm talking about www.SteamBans.com they are 2 different things.

edit: yeah i reread page, you mistook my post for SourceBans, check out the SteamBans page and youll see what im talking about

http://www.steambans.com/support.php...page=addserver

Last edited by Aikar: 10-20-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah you have to create a group for your community/server as well as an account for yourself of course. In order to be able to use the plug-in.

The server registration process will give you a key that you have to add to the plug-in config in order for it to work.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
this addon is meant to help block cheaters, and make them not want to cheat, but with a low usage, cheaters wont care if they are on this list because a low number of servers even use it.
This is true, to a certain degree. I have been using steam bans on all three of my servers and players are constantly kicked from my server because they have been reviewed and banned from the steambans community. I have about 10 players in my team and I recommended to them to bind keys to take demo's, run the sb_status command so it's quick and easy to record a demo of a cheater to send to steambans. By the way, just because the list of servers that belong to steambans isn't large, that doesn't mean the servers themselves are small. Think about the amount of players that go through all the servers? Some of those servers that belong to steambans could be the most popular servers online.
Travis Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Aikar

Yeah but im saying dont you agree it would be more 'effective' if they let EVERYONE use the plugin to protect their server?

Thats what my post is about. Limiting the process of being able to protect your server is hurting them i think.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Travis Bickle

It's a choice, just like VAC. Server owners choose if they want their server protected from steambans, VAC, CD, etc.
Travis Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah but the difference is that VAC is enabled by default and built-in to the server software while installing SteamBans can be quite a challenging process for some. Also, you need a forum or web site to be eligible for SteamBans. VAC doesn't require anything.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
John Galt

No need to "Create" anything. You can always join the steambans public team. You still have all the capabilities you would normally have.

http://www.steambans.com/forums.php?fid=2&tid=80

Last edited by John Galt: 10-20-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added a link as a reference to where I got the information
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Aikar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
No need to "Create" anything. You can always join the steambans public team. You still have all the capabilities you would normally have.

If you read my post you would realize that is not true =/

Quote:
NB: Simply joining the SB - Public - team is not sufficient to protect your own servers. You will need to have your own team accepted on SteamBans. The SB - Public - team is only for people wishing to submit demos without having servers to protect.
I submitted a request for a team like 2 days ago and still havnt seen anything on approval even though admins have been on the site left and right.

the point of this post is to try to see if others agree this mod would be hella more useful without the bullcrap signup process required to even use it.

It should be a simple free to download no license type thing.

If steambans doesnt remove this lame restriction, someone really should make another addon to replace steambans and it would likely be very popular.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
Omega_K2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

For protecting your servers you need a OWN team...

@Aikar:

Its possible they reject your team altough you met the requirements :S I had that 2 times [I registered 2 teams and the first try always failed], but just do the application again and maybe write where you board is located your your site, etc. [they seem to have dumb admins for approving because I never changed my website, but got approved with the 2nd try xD]

Quote:
It should be a simple free to download no license type thing.
Ya I agree

Edit: It seems quite useful to me because it keeps about 50% of the cheaters away from the server and if there a cheater remaining you just need to record a demo and submit it

Last edited by Omega_K2: 10-28-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Omega_K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
graymer

SteamBans corrupt or dirty

I would not trust Steambans... if you want a nice does of spyware, click there "Site Info" link. I had the misfortune of visiting there on a half-installed temp server this afternoon. I wasted many hours of work...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)