Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
StianLeRoux

Red face steam update

Hi my steam doesn't want to update. It goes to 28% or 30% and then stops and restarts. I tried almost everything there is to try, deleting clientregistry, replacing exe, reinstalling steam, restarting etc.

Could anyone help me. I tried now al for 3 days. I really want to play teamfortress 2. Please help!!!!!!!

My firewall exceptions for steam has been added and my anti virus firewall to.

HELP

/Edit by Moderator:
Anyone experiencing this error please have a look at post 830.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry some of you are having issues with Steam updating itself. You should know that we are following this thread and we are investigating whether there is a bug that is causing your issues.

It appears that those of you posting in this thread fall into one of two categories:

1) Launch Steam, it says "Steam - Updating" and goes quickly up to 26% and then closes with the message "Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of Steam at a time."

2) Launch Steam, it says "Updating Steam platform", goes up to 33-50% but never finishes and eventually falls after trying 3 times.

For #1, I've identified a bug that can cause this in the self update process. The next client update will include a fix for that bug and hopefully it will resolve your problems.

For #2, what is happening is that the update is failing to completely download from the content server. You will try up to 3 content servers then eventually fail. This issue is not caused by higher speed connections kicking you off the CS as some of you have guessed at. That isn't how the CS works and it will maintain your connection so long as it believes your connection is alive. Right now that is a several minute long timeout where it will drop your connection only if it hasn't received any communication at all from you for several minutes. Even on a dial-up connection this should not be a problem and we are aware of many dial-up users who are in fact updating ok.

I plan to look into #2 more, but as of now it appears that the cause is just really really bad connectivity between you and the CS you are trying to download content from and it is possible this is a problem on your end. What would be useful is for those of you with this issue to post information on your geographical location and the ISP you are using as well as the make/model of your modem and speed of connection. For example:

ISP: AOL
Make/Model of Modem: US Robotics 56k V.92 business modem
Speed: 56k modem, usually connect to AOL at 42.2k

Finally, if you are unable to get Steam to update after several tries I have placed a full Steam installation directory zip file at this location: http://media.steampowered.com/Steam/SteamFull.zip

In order to update using the zip file you must download the file, then extract it over your existing Steam directory. Be warned that this is not a suggested update path, it will overwrite your ClientRegistry.blob file and you will lose some Steam settings/status. However, if you can't manage to update through the normal means this may help you get around that. Your SteamApps folder should be left in place and you will not need to re-download all your games. Until we feel that these issues are all fixed I will continue to keep this file updated with the latest version for you. Please let me know if this is helpful for those of you experiencing problems updating.
Quote:
Thanks for all the info on your connections.

We think we may now have a lead on what changed recently leading to problem #2. It looks like a server side fix so we'll make some adjustments and I'll let you know when we believe we have it working so some of you can verify for us.
Issue Resolved:
Quote:
We have just now finished updating all of our Content Servers with new code that should solve issue #2. If you would like to help us verify the issue is fixed (please do!) then you can do so even if you have already used the .zip file.

In order to verify do the following:

1) Exit Steam if it is running
2) Delete SteamUI.dll from your Steam directory
3) Restart Steam, it will update when it finds SteamUI.dll is missing
4) Verify it updates ok through the normal update process

If you try this more than a couple times and continue to fail please let us know. Also, should that happen (which we don't expect it to) you can still use the .zip file to manually update.

Last edited by BurtonJ: 12-07-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Updated with reference to fix

Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
vertex.mix

hi man. my steam not update too.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=622351

Old 11-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
phoenix_1619

Same problem

Hi guys

New user from Europe, I tried installing HL2 on Friday and Steam can't seem to get past the updating platform bit (updates to 32% then resets to 0%, repeats three or four times until the message "Steam temporarily unavailable, please try again later" appears)

I've tried to reinstall, changed the Firewall exceptions and pretty much all other solutions suggested on the forums.

There seem to be sporadic reports in other users posts that their games are suddenly unavailable or that the games won't update.

Is this all connected?

I can't find any records of a Steam server outage reported on the site, can anyone help?

Cheers

Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
dustbunny

Banned
Make sure your firewalls allow Steam to access the net.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
StianLeRoux

yes the firewall exception for steam can acess internet. Any other bright ideas please let me know!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
dustbunny

Banned
What fire wall are you using, and do you use any other security applications.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #7
vertex.mix

i am not use firewall and security applications.

and steam platforma not update

Steam not update platform (updates to 32% then resets to 0%,
"Steam temporarily unavailable, please try again later" appears)

Why ???

Last edited by BurtonJ: 12-07-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #8
dustbunny

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex.mix View Post
i am not use firewall and security applications.

and steam platforma not update

Do you have a router, how do you connect to the net.

Note: use the edit button, and we already know your issue.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
vertex.mix

i from Russia

PPPoE DSL 64 k/bit

Old 11-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
dustbunny

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex.mix View Post
i from Russia

PPPoE DSL 64 k/bit
Can you list your add/remove programs?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:21 AM   #11
vertex.mix

look my programs
http://i017.radikal.ru/0711/9b/68819d7fa035.jpg
http://i033.radikal.ru/0711/59/3dc9c82d9135.jpg

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
dustbunny

Banned
Get rid of the Intel Application Accelerator.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
phoenix_1619

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbunny View Post
Do you have a router, how do you connect to the net.

Note: use the edit button, and we already know your issue.

Uk user, still on 56k dial up I'm ashamed to say

I'm using the XP firewall and I have set the exceptions to allow Steam (the update actually reaches 32% before resetting to 0%, so Steam is connecting to the update server it just can't complete the platform update)

Any assistance you can give is appreciated (I need my HL2 fix )

Old 11-12-2007, 04:28 AM   #14
StianLeRoux

im also using xp firewall and have avast installed. My internet is 460 kb/s connection. Help

Old 11-12-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
dustbunny

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_1619 View Post
Uk user, still on 56k dial up I'm ashamed to say

I'm using the XP firewall and I have set the exceptions to allow Steam (the update actually reaches 32% before resetting to 0%, so Steam is connecting to the update server it just can't complete the platform update)

Any assistance you can give is appreciated (I need my HL2 fix )
Try disabling the firewall all together.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips