Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
mort918

Post A Letter to Valve Regarding The Orange Box PS3 Edition

To the Valve Team,

I am writing this on behalf of all PS3 Orange Box owners, whom, despite the negative press and poor reviews, still went forth to purchase the game purely based on Valve's past credentials and merits.

I have purchased and played every single Valve release since the original Half Life. Having recently gained an interest in console gaming, I decided to wait it out and purchase The Orange Box for my PS3. When hearing the news that the PS3 version would be delayed, and be released after the PC and Xbox360 versions, I didn't flinch one bit, assuming it was probably due to quality assurance procedures that the delay was announced (Valve releasing an inferior product had never crossed my mine).

As I waited it out for the PS3 version's release, I and many others like myself were exposed to previews savaging the PS3 version, writing about the superiority of the Xbox360 and PC versions. Despite the large amount of negative press, I still had high hopes, believing Valve would pressure EA to act on the gaming press's initial impressions and fix the problems. But unfortunately, upon inserting the game disc into my PS3, I was proven wrong.

Although I am coming from a personal perspective, I am sure there are many out there that would agree when I say that Valve has allowed EA to release an inferior product under the Half Life banner. From inconsistent framerates to Team Fortress 2 just simply not functioning, Orange Box for the PS3 is definitely not the kind experience you would expect from a Valve product.

Having owned Orange Box for a week now, I have yet been able to play a single game of Team Fortress 2. I know that it was EA who were responsible for the port, but I believe Valve's nonchalant stance in regards to the whole issue has been a large contributing factor in the poor production of the PS3 version of Orange Box.

I write this not to lay blame on anyone nor am I here to complain. I am simply a gamer who wants to be playing games without the bugs or kinks that should not have been there from the start.

So Valve, EA... here I am, asking for a simple favor.

Please Valve, pressure EA to fix the very noticeable faults in the PS3 version. The original release of Half Life 2 was one of the finest moments in interactive entertainment. Please keep it that way.

Please EA, listen to your consumers... release a patch to fix what should not have been in there from the start. You have yet to admit that you had released an incomplete product. That is fine. A confession is not what I am asking for. What's done is done. I am asking for solution. A Fix.

Valve, EA... I am not asking for 20 extra multiplayer maps. I am not asking for you to send me out a replacement game. I am not asking for any kind of reimbursement. I am simplying asking you to help us enjoy something that, I am sure, a lot of people had been looking forward to for a long time.

Please fix the PS3 version of The Orange Box.

Yours Sincerely,

John Cho,
South Korea.

Last edited by mort918: 01-02-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
BlackMage666

Protip: EA is just the publisher, VALVe was the one retuning the Console versions.

EA had no involvement in the Development process beyond publishing.
BlackMage666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
famousmortimer

Pro Tip: Your protip is wrong. EA handled the port of the PS3 version. Valve handled the port of the 360 version.

Both version of Team Fortress are messed up. It's sad - it's such an awesome game too : /
Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
JewelTheif

I just registered to start a thread like this one here, but after looking through the forums I found I was too late.

Anway, John, I comleptely agree with you, it seems EA really did bring down the PS3 version of The Orange Box. To top the glitches and noticable faults, I noticed EA dropped the Game Lobby for Team Fortress 2 on the PS3 version, which is unacceptable. It would be nice to make friends through the lobby on the network.

I also noticed my game doesn't exactly fit my screen, not sure if it's the same on both versions of the game, but I got an SDTV if that helps.

PATCH THIS!

Last edited by BurtonJ: 01-01-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Do not abuse the forum formatting features
Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
adamclerk

I've been reluctant to buy the PS3 version cause of the murmurs and reviews. Unfortunately, I only own a PS3...so my only hope of continuing on in the Halflife Saga is to play the PS3 version. Please, Please, Please patch the ps3 version.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Gilrod

You know, I've got TOB, and am not a big online game player, so TF2 is just a pretty sideline for me to watch ...

Portal, HL2 etc seem pretty much perfect to me, unless someone wants to explain the problems to me.

I read Gabe' comments about PS3 a while back, and was VERY surprised to read them, having met him several years ago at ECTS in London I never put him down as someone that insular.

Anywho, so far I'm VERY impressed with the PS3 version of TOB perhaps when I get to the battle to protect the base towards the end of Ep2 I might change my mind, but right now I'm a VERY happy customer.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
illthreat

I echo John Cho's sentiments exactly as stated. It's a shame that this has been allowed to carry the Valve stamp.

I'm a long time Valve supporter & HL Hammer Legion Member. I cannot believe EA has tainted this superior product.

Please provide a patch/ force EA London to patch. This just isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort918 View Post
To the Valve Team,

I am writing this on behalf of all PS3 Orange Box owners, whom, despite the negative press and poor reviews, still went forth to purchase the game purely based on Valve's past credentials and merits.

I have purchased and played every single Valve release since the original Half Life. Having recently gained an interest in console gaming, I decided to wait it out and purchase The Orange Box for my PS3. When hearing the news that the PS3 version would be delayed, and be released after the PC and Xbox360 versions, I didn't flinch one bit, assuming it was probably due to quality assurance procedures that the delay was announced (Valve releasing an inferior product had never crossed my mine).

As I waited it out for the PS3 version's release, I and many others like myself were exposed to previews savaging the PS3 version, writing about the superiority of the Xbox360 and PC versions. Despite the large amount of negative press, I still had high hopes, believing Valve would pressure EA to act on the gaming press's initial impressions and fix the problems. But unfortunately, upon inserting the game disc into my PS3, I was proven wrong.

Although I am coming from a personal perspective, I am sure there are many out there that would agree when I say that Vavle has allowed EA to release an inferior product under the Half Life banner. From inconsistent framerates to Team Fortress 2 just simply not functioning, Orange Box for the PS3 is definitely not the kind experience you would expect from a Valve product.

Having owned Orange Box for a week now, I have yet been able to play a single game of Team Fortress 2. I know that it was EA who were responsible for the port, but I believe Valve's non-chalent stance in regards to the whole issue has been a large contributing factor in the poor production of the PS3 version of Orange Box.

I write this not to lay blame on anyone nor am I here to complain. I am simply a gamer who wants to be playing games without the bugs or kinks that should not have been there from the start.

So Valve, EA... here I am, asking for a simple favor.

Please Valve, pressure EA to fix the very noticeable faults in the PS3 version. The original release of Half Life 2 was one of the finest moments in interactive entertainment. Please keep it that way.

Please EA, listen to your consumers... release a patch to fix what should not have been in there from the start. You have yet to admit that you had released an incomplete product. That is fine. A confession is not what I am asking for. What's done is done. I am asking for solution. A Fix.

Valve, EA... I am not asking for 20 extra multiplayer maps. I am not asking for you to send me out a replacement game. I am not asking for any kind of reimbursement. I am simplying asking you to help us enjoy something that, I am sure, a lot of people had been looking forward to for a long time.

Please fix the PS3 version of The Orange Box.

Yours Sincerely,

John Cho,
South Korea.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
ITALIA

Fortunately I don't get any problems, but I feel for those who do and agree that VALVe should push EA towards a patch to repair as much as possible. Especially given that their name is headlining on the box.
ITALIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
StuntF50

Dear Valve: The Orange Box PS3 Version

Dear Valve,

I picked up the PlayStation 3 version of The Orange Box despite the bad previews sites like 1UP and GameSpot were giving it. I ignored the fact that they said the PlayStation 3 version is inferior to the Xbox 360 and PC version due to glitches, bugs, and errors in coding.

But since I'm a sucker for Half-Life 2 games, and really wanted to try out Portal and Team Fortress 2, I picked it up. When playing Portal, I really didn't notice anything wrong with it except a few frame skips.

The Half-Life 2 games were full of glitches & framerate skips that made me die a few times, and it's really starting to get annoying.

Team Fortress 2 on the PlayStation 3 seems to be a dumbed down version of the Xbox 360 version. The PlayStation 3 version doesn't feature game lobbies to make friends or invite friends to your game or communicate such as the Xbox 360 version.

The menu is different on the Xbox 360 version as well, allowing you to search ranked games and such, and it even comes with submenus. On the PlayStation 3 version, you can't even tell. It's really annoying. You can't system link the PlayStation 3 version either like you can the Xbox 360. To top that off, my stats keep deleting themselves whenever I quit the game and come back in later.

Other thing is, I'm experiencing annoying overscan with the PlayStation 3 version, and I'd like to have the game fit my screen.

Although, I play my copy of The Orange Box frequently, I am very disappointed in Valve to allow one of their biggest gaming series to be tarnished by handing the rights over to EA London. EA has been making PlayStation 3 versions of games bad for a while, and Valve should have known better.

I am asking for a patch, a patch that addresses the glitches, bugs, and coding errors made in the Half-Life 2 games. A patch that fixes the few frame skips in Portal. A patch that gives us the same features of Team Fortress 2 that the Xbox 360 version has (and adds private matches).

Valve owns The Orange Box, do you really want to see this title go down as a don't buy? Personally, I'm tired of bad ports.

Orange Box Owner,
Stunt

Last edited by StuntF50: 01-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Atomsk

Since EA did the port, as you mentioned, I dunno how much control Valve would have over fixing this =\. Also, and I don't mean to say Valve doesnt care for their PS3 fans but Valve seems to be very upset with the PS3 in general (saying its the weakest of the consoles in a recent interview) so I dunno how much interest they would even have in trying to solve any problems with it.

But thats just my opinion, perhaps Valve can and will do something about it. I dont own the PS3 Orange Box (or a PS3), but for the fans sake, I do hope something gets fixed. Though I personally say just get it for the PC, thats the system Half-Life is made for IMO and thats what it should stick too (also just my opinion though).

Last edited by Atomsk: 01-01-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
kered248

Same problem

Sadly,
I am in EXACTLEY the same boat as mort918.

I've had TOB for a week, played Protal (loved it) and then tried to play TF2. NO luck, and no support from Valve or EA.

Hopefully a patch will be issued soon. The bad press is mounting.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
SledKnight

Unhappy Never flinch...

Just like Mort918 said, I also did not flinch when the PS3 version was pushed back. I have also followed the Half Life series faithfully since happening upon Half Life years ago... sadly, however, I have not continued PC gaming.

Since my buddy got me hooked on the PS2, I dropped PC gaming and have went exclusivly console. Thus, I'm stuck to the PS3 port of TOB... but I have yet to buy it because of the bad press.

If a patch were to be released to fix the issues, I'd snatch it up that same day...

I know Gabe has jabbed at the PS3, but I know it has the power to do Half-Life (it's amazing how some of the other top-notch PS3 games look in HD)...

PLEASE release a patch to smooth these issues out... I want to play Portal, TF2, and the most recent Episode of HL...

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
eracer001

I agree with the letter. Please issue a patch. Can a moderator please confirm that Valve is working on a patch for the PS3 Orange Box?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
StuntF50

Yeah, I'd like for a moderator to respond as well. Guys, read post #10 to see what other features are missing in the PS3 version.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
albfly777

i couldn't play tf2 at first, i made a new psn and now it works fine. i would also expect different interface for ps3 and xbox the missing menus don't bother me.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box