Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Demokk

Question Unable to find gameinfo.txt

I have been trying to compile a MDL but I keep getting the "Unable to find gameinfo.txt". I tried with StudioCompiler, HL2 Compile Toolkit and studiomdl.exe and no luck.

I have played every game at least once.

I noticed that studiomdl.exe is in sourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin and not in sourcesdk/bin as noted in some tutorials.

Thanks.

Last edited by Demokk: 01-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Deadeye2007

I'm in a similar boat as you. No matter how I go about trying to compile my model for TF2 I simply get SOME sort of error. Usually a .dll error, but others have popped up in there. None of the compile programs are working for me.

I'm ready to give up - it's been 2 days of research trying to figure out the problems.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Marine

You have to use the OB tools to compile models, you also need to add -nop4 to the command line when you use those tools.
Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Deadeye2007

Here is a shot of the errors I'm getting

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Deadeye2007

Here's a bit more info from the GUIStudiomdl program:

WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
all paths:c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\team fortress 2\tf\;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk\bin\orange box\tf\;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk\bin\orange box\hl2\;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk\bin\hl2\
qdir: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\"
gamedir: "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\rsjaded\team fortress 2\tf\"
g_path: "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\firstcompile.qc"
Building binary model files...
Working on "firstcompile.qc"
ERROR: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\firstcompile.qc(2): - could not load file 'laddersmall_yellow.smd'
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'props_frostfire/laddersmall_yellow.mdl'
WARNING: Leaking 1 elements

I have no idea what all of these errors mean. The P4 error should not be present as in both my SDK tool, and in the GUI program I have no preforce!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
kilroyowp

same problem trying to make a min map VTF
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Demokk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye2007 View Post
Here's a bit more info from the GUIStudiomdl program:

WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
all paths:c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\team fortress 2\tf\;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk\bin\orange box\tf\;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk\bin\orange box\hl2\;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk\bin\hl2\
qdir: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\"
gamedir: "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\rsjaded\team fortress 2\tf\"
g_path: "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\firstcompile.qc"
Building binary model files...
Working on "firstcompile.qc"
ERROR: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\firstcompile.qc(2): - could not load file 'laddersmall_yellow.smd'
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'props_frostfire/laddersmall_yellow.mdl'
WARNING: Leaking 1 elements

I have no idea what all of these errors mean. The P4 error should not be present as in both my SDK tool, and in the GUI program I have no preforce!
The p4lib.dll means that you're using The Orange Box compiler. Try marking on GUIStudioMDL where it says "No Perforce" or switch to the Ep1 compiler. Try adding -engine ep1 in launch options of your SDK.

This error: "ERROR: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\rsjaded\sourcesdk_content\tf \modelsrc\firstcompile.qc(2): - could not load file 'laddersmall_yellow.smd'" shows that it couldn't find "Laddersmall_yellow.smd, either your file name is different in the .qc or the file is not present in the same directory as the .qc.

I got a workaround for the Gameinfo.txt error, which is to either use GUIStudiomdl or to create a shortcut to studiomdl.exe and add -game "game directory" filename.qc

Last edited by Demokk: 01-10-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Marine

Add -nop4 to the command line of the compiler.
Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Deadeye2007

I did eventually figure out the compiling thing. It took using the non-orangebox compiler tools. For some reason the OB ones just wouldn't work.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
snah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineio View Post
Add -nop4 to the command line of the compiler.
I see this everywhere and its about as useful as joining in on a convosation on the TV series Friends and saying:
"You put the bacon sandwich in the fridge".

1. What console?
2. Where do you add it (the end, the start, the middle?)
3. What compiler?
snah is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion