Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 01-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Izzard

Q3DM17 for ...um... TF2 (and some questions)

Hi. I'm new with Hammer but enthusiastic about making a TF2 version of my favourite Quake 3 Arena map: Q3DM17, aka "The Longest Yard".

I've got the basic geometry of the central portion down and I'm now spending hours tweaking angles and parameters in an effort to get the 'jump pads' as close to the original as possible.

I've got two things I'd like some help with:

1) How to I change the map information for TF2, so that it says something about the map? At the moment it just says the map name in capitals before you get to the team selection screen.

2) Is there anything I can do to speed up testing? At the moment I have Hammer and TF2 running side by side and I run the map from the console each time I compile it (which is fine). The annoying thing is that I have to click-click-click through the introductory screens, and then I have to wait a couple of seconds before I can move.. ..then I get repositioned after 10 seconds or so after the 'waiting for players' period. And, of course, when I die I have to wait to respawn. I'd like to get rid of all these delays while I'm testing. (You die a lot trying to get this map right.)

(Quick shout-out to Acegikmo for his help figuring out Hammer and TF2 mapping. Thanks!)

Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Sawgutts

Try http://www.sdknuts.net/akg/akgsrch.asp
Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Izzard

Looks like some good tutorials but nothing to help my TF2 issues, I don't think.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
boernerjp

I don't know if this applies to TF2, but for HL2DM maps I use the following parameters while compiling "-dev -novideo -console +sv_lan 1 -windowed" (don't use the quotes)

Then when HL2DM loads the first time it jumps right to my level in a nice window. Then when I want to make changes, I simply minimize my HL2 window and then go make my changes in Hammer. I keep the same compile options, but check the box to not run the game after compiling. Then when its done compiling I simply go back to my level, hit the console, type in map <mapname> and then it reloads with all my changes.

This seems to be the fastest way to get in and out of my level without a lot of loading. It will eat up CPU cycles while that map is running in the background, so I wouldn't recommend this for low end computers.
boernerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Izzard

That's exactly how I do it. The problem is that, in TF2, when you load a map you can't jump straight into the game. There is always the map intro screen, then the team selection screen, then the class selection screen, then the waiting period for additional players to join, etc. I can get through these fast by tapping Return a lot but I still respawn after a few seconds. Not ideal.

I was hoping there was something secret I was missing like a devmap command.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
boernerjp

It must be different then for TF2. The only thing I could think of is somehow using the deathmatch spawns so it thinks its a deathmatch map for the time being and then you can make it a TF2 map after your done with it.

Out of curiosity, what spawn points do you use? I use info_player_deathmatch.
boernerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
DrHaphazard

info_player_teamplayer is the one used for TF2. I dunno about avoiding the opening windows but there is at least a way to avoid the waiting for player and respawn times crap.

Bind a key to ""mp_waitingforplayers_cancel 1; ent_fire tf_gamerules addredteamrespawnwavetime -20; ent_fire tf_gamerules addblueteamrespawnwavetime -20; mp_teams_unbalance_limit 16".

That will get rid of some of the annoyances. Keys can be bound easily by opening up your config file in the "team fortress 2\tf\cfg" folder on your computer using Wordpad (note: using Notepad smashes all the lines together making it hard to read.)

In case youre wondering how i know this, i asked the same exact question:
http://tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=506

And by the way if you have further TF2 mapping questions, theres a great forum just for you over at tf2maps.net:
http://tf2maps.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Enjoy!
DrHaphazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Izzard

Ah - thank you. Very helpful! I've also added "mp_enableroundwaittime 0" as this gets rid of the 1-second pause at the start where you can't move. Cheers for taking the time to answer my question.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design