Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
Intelligence

Just thought I'd bump this thread incase it had been forgotten. BurtonJ, are you still planning on making the changes?
Intelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #17
BurtonJ

Valve
Today I have made sure that all the forums are in perfect alphabetical order (there are intentionally a few exceptions). I have finally set up a system that should make the whole process easier every time we add new game and publisher forums.

I still want to merge some forums but haven't had the time to do so - I'm buried deep in another project right now. Also, there is some behind-the-scenes work to be done mostly regarding usergroups and permission settings.

We are also throwing around some layout improvements but that probably won't happen any time soon (if ever).
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Forward Area

To be honest, I like the idea of having a "HL Series" forum. This could help bringing together few communities into one and have one, but busy forum instead of 6-7.
Forward Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Area View Post
To be honest, I like the idea of having a "HL Series" forum. This could help bringing together few communities into one and have one, but busy forum instead of 6-7.
I don't really want to go into a forum to find a thread about HL2 then end up seeing a HL2: EP2 spoiler. I think the HL forums should be kept as they are.
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
No Bic

Banned
and plus, the HL2: ep 3 forum should be up before the game's release, so that way people will rest assured that it's coming.
No Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #21
5UB

Hummmm lots of HL.... Surely it is a series by now....
5UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #22
Communist0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillahInstinct View Post
I have been tossing around with this idea since even before I became a MOD.

I think you are underestimating the task though, -a lot- of idea's get posted and I seriously doubt it would be worth the hassle (since people with new idea's are most-likely to go straight to posting instead of looking around if it's been posted already, after-all we have a search function already).

It would probably also be very impractical, since vBulletin doesn't really allow for multiple edits (at the same time), seeing the amount of suggestions posted things would probably get overwritten and a lot would get lost in cyberspace. A Mediawiki set-up might be better in comforting this need.

Honestly I haven't gotten around to picking up idea's left and right, I only just barely finished reading through other entire forums to get a good idea of the job and how things are handled.

I will play around with the idea some more, but it will probably be better if some people stepped up and I would be happy to join.

PS I also think we have plenty (read: too much) of stickies.
Is it possible for moderators to associate keywords with different threads every time a new suggestion is created? This would make searching for a specific idea easier as many threads are just reworded versions of previous suggestions. It would also be good if moderators could edit titles to something more descriptive or generic so suggestions are easier to find.

Alternatively, would you be able to lock threads which are resuggesting things and link to the previous suggestion thread to encourage people to search first?

Not to create more work for you or anything lol, but can't hurt to suggest it.
Communist0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 AM   #23
KillahInstinct

Volunteer Moderator
As for locking and editing titles, we do that already.

As for associating keywords, I guess it's possible by each time adding a specific keyword in like "unique suggestion" but it would be a fairly un-doable task at the moment. Version 3.7.0 of the vBulletin software however features a 'tagging' system that should make such a task far more doable.
KillahInstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24
BurtonJ

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligence View Post
  • Merge Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts into Company of Heroes series.
  • Merge Medieval II: Total War and Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms into Medieval II: Total War series or Medieval II series.
  • Merge Rome: Total War Alexander and Rome: Total War Gold into Rome: Total War series.
This has been fixed.
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #25
Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonJ View Post
This has been fixed.
Awesome, thanks BurtonJ.

I've updated the original post.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #26
Silver Shamrock

Sub-Forum tidy up

I've noticed over the last few weeks that some sub-forums for certain games were in a 'series' folder and others were not.

Now the otherday i also noticed that there was a clean up inwhich some games forums got merged into other creating a 'series' folder. The Company of Heroes games are an example.

However there are still some forums that are seperate and really could do with merging. The Hexen/Heretic and Wolfenstein series spring to mind.

Is there a reason these still get seperate forums?

EDIT. Ahh i see, i didn't see this sticky. Wondered where my post had gone

Last edited by Silver Shamrock: 03-31-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Silver Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #27
5UB

I have noticed that the word "series" sometimes starts with a capital letter or without... It is not consistant.

Just to you guys know
5UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #28
kalciifer

Not that it matters that much, but you might want to think about retitling the "Sam and Max" forums to "Sam and Max: Season 1" or "Sam and Max series". Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #29
Vonje

Change Half-Life Deathmatch: Source to Half-Life: Source.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #30
Intelligence

Updated thread.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas