Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Indigo Prophecy

Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Z(+)DIAC

Is this game worth it?

I asked this similar question when I realized Psychonauts was released through STEAM, and it was a purchase I've never regretted to this day, and probably never will (excellent game if you haven't tried it out). Is this game really worth the $10 though, or would I be better off putting it towards Audiosurf?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
candlej4ck

I thought it was excellent, I don't know where my copy is so I'll be buying it again through steam.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
frostcircus

It's the only game I've ever played with a perfect straight-line drop in quality. The first scenes are incredible, the last scenes are mind-blowingly bad, and there are no notable peaks or troughs during the transition between these states.

That said, yes it is worth $10, definitely - whether it is also worth your time will kind of depend on you. But as much as I grew to hate it, the game is a strong and mostly memorable experience, and I wouldn't want to turn people away from it. I spent far more than Steam's asking price on it, and I'm still kind of glad I did (and I liked the game less than most people).

If you're looking to spend $10 on Steam, there are many better options (Audiosurf is one of them), but this game is far from a bad one. You'll be fine.

Last edited by frostcircus: 03-13-2008 at 05:10 AM.
frostcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
CalmWind23

Indigo is a awesome game and it is must buy game. Hope that answer your question.
CalmWind23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
.ernest

Banned
It's incredible and I don't see why people think the game was better at the beginning. I was so hooked on it that I played through the whole thing in one sitting. Not to say it was too short - took me about 8 hours.
.ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Winterkid

This is a great game, it combines elements of the Matrix, Crime drama, ghost stories, plenty of things to try, decisions and puzzles to figure out, and lots of characters.

Once you get used to the interface, it's a lot of fun.
Winterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Stevedroid

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostcircus View Post
It's the only game I've ever played with a perfect straight-line drop in quality. The first scenes are incredible, the last scenes are mind-blowingly bad, and there are no notable peaks or troughs during the transition between these states.
I second this, but I would add that it's not even worth $10.

The game had promise, but at some point they just drop the pretense that it's an adventure game and it becomes mind-numbing quicktime event after mind-numbing quicktime event.

If your idea of fun is matching buttons that flash on screen again and again, then by all means buy the game. If you're looking for an actual adventure game, avoid it.
Stevedroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Hwkiller

Volunteer Moderator
Oh wow, I forgot about this game being on here now. I played fahrenheit (uncut indigo prophecies) and loved it.

"By wrongly correcting my use of "effect" as a verb, you have affected me by effecting negative affect, and this is an undesired effect."
Hwkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
frostcircus

I'd probably play the game again if I found a trainer that removed the QTE stuff. It really is an awful addition: mindless busywork that stops you watching the cutscenes properly. If I had to pick an analogy, I'd pick "holding a TV aerial by a window and waving it around to get reception."

It's odd, basically all of the 'innovations' this game trumpets are easily its weakest links. The motion-based interaction, for example. At first it's a neat gimmick, but after about ten minutes it just becomes a way to obfuscate even the simplest action.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #10
ultio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwkiller View Post
Oh wow, I forgot about this game being on here now. I played fahrenheit (uncut indigo prophecies) and loved it.
Wait. Is the steam version cutted? I know the game is called "Fahreinheit" in germany and I never heared that it is cutted. I'm thinking about to buy this game if atari games will be aviable in europe / germany.

Edit:
Omg, saw the other thread now...
ultio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
Swift Kill2

Banned
I've got the uncut version (Fahrenheit) probably the best single player experience ive ever had.
Swift Kill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #12
Teh_Bucko

So did they remove the sex scene?

Just curious...
Teh_Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
_jema987

No, rubbish game. Lousy controlls, crap camera, bad graphics, sketchy plot, annoying minigames and nowhere as free form as it claims to be. I have no idea how it managed to get the reviews that it did.
_jema987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
frostcircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bucko View Post
So did they remove the sex scene?

Just curious...
They basically changed a few camera shots. Really, don't let this be the reason you play or don't play. It really is a nothing change.

And yes, the game isn't even remotely open-ended. The vague illusion of free will is a weak parlour trick.

Last edited by frostcircus: 03-16-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
spillz

i played the demo before the game was released and really enjoyed it. I love the fact that your actions in game really change the way people are perceiving you. Downloading now, can't wait to get started with this one...
spillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Indigo Prophecy