Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Dimensions

Question "Steam Cannot Connect to Steam Network"

ok so when i open up steam and i try to log in it gives me
and i quote o_o

""Steam Could Not Connect To Steam Network
This Could Be Due To A Problem With Your Internet Connection or With The Steam Network. Please visit Steampowered.com for more info.""

this happens all the time
i have looked all over the forums and havent found any related topics
i just want steam to work because i have alot of money just sitting in my paypal waitting to buy some games and play online with my friends

HELP PL0X!!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Sleaka J

I've never figured out why kids use "PL0X", when "Please" is only 2 letters longer (and also a hell of a lot easier to type).

The ultimate example of lazyness?
Sleaka J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Dimensions

ok
none of those links were helpful
Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
L.o.D.

Are you using a router?
If so, try without it.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Dimensions

i cant use internet without a rouder
im on a second computer upstairs and the network cable runs upstairs and connects straight to my computer
also i cant install steam on the downstairs computer
mom wont let me
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
neo_kefka

I have had a similar problem to this, steam starts and is stuck at updating until it gives me the cannot connect message. I am fairly sure this is a router problem as this computer has connected to steam before, quite easily.
Unfortunately I do not have access to the router here as I have recently moved to this apartment and the internet here is managed by the apartment complex. Is there anything I could do about this problem without accessing the router?
I have already tried reinstalling steam and deleting the clientregistry.blob.
neo_kefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Sunburn74

The solution is simple. Break off your internet connection so that steam will give you the option to start in offline mode. Go to your download settings and change the region to something else. Save the change. That should fix the problem.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
_Duke_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn74 View Post
The solution is simple. Break off your internet connection so that steam will give you the option to start in offline mode. Go to your download settings and change the region to something else. Save the change. That should fix the problem.
Bumping and + Rep, this is what I had to do.
_Duke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
EliteSoldier666

NO

tried disconnecting from my local network, and when i started in offline, it still said cannot connect to steam network
Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
CapnWalrus

Same problem. Had it for a few days. None of these solutions are helping, I've even gone router-less.

Last edited by CapnWalrus: 07-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Sp4rxx

I had saved the MSI setup file for Steam and did a 'repair' when running the setup again. It worked after that.
Sp4rxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
cheesefarmer

delete your cliensideregistryblob file and you may get let back in, it;s just worked on mine after I started the move of >200gb steamapps folder onto the root drive, that took 25 minutes. I have just started to move it back
Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
Khazrael

Here is what I did:
I uninstalled
Reinstalled, however chose a higher speed setting. (first time around I did the 768kbps one, second time I did the 2mb one.)
I ran it once more and it said access deniedI looked for the shortcut inside of the start menu, right clicked and went to properties. Inside of that window, go to the compatibility tab.
Near the bottom there is a box that reads run as administrator
Check this and press OK
After the updating process it gave a message recommending against the run as administrator step. Press Cancel
It will bring you to a login page. Login, and it will begin updating again. All will be well at this point.
Enjoy your Steam

Last edited by Khazrael: 09-28-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Khazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
Pontiac76

I did the same thing as what cheesefarmer had said, and it ALMOST let me in. I think the front end is confused and throwing the wrong error.

This afternoon I was able to log in without a problem. However, this evening, after a reboot, I can't start ANY steam application because this message comes up. After about the 5th try, I noticed a second window close in behind the "Can't connect" dialog. I tried again, threw the same error, this time, I moved the window and it was telling me that I was running low on drive space???

I have one drive that is running low on space, yes, but it IS NOT the drive that Steam is installed to. I also have 6 drives in my machine. I don't know whats going on with that error message.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips