Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Degenatron

Question Converting EP1 to TOB Maps. Can it be done?

I started a project intending it to be carried over into The Orange Box engine. Now that TOB SDK is availible I see that old EP1 maps won't open properly in TOB mode. I looked for a way to save as a .map file and then bring it back in to TOB, but Hammer no longer gives that as a save option.

Anyone know how to fix this (beyond the obvious "Start Over" answer)?

TIA,
Degenatron

Old 04-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Craziestdan

hmm, i think you may be able to port some stuff over, i definetly think the brushes will. Hmm is this for half life 2 ??? or TF2?? But i belive any engine map is openable in any engine, Ive made maps in both engines, and opened them in the other, but when you open it in the other, some stff might be missing in the orange box engine, maybe textures, but you'll have to retexture some brushes, but im certain the brushes will port over. i think some props in ep1 engine maybe only available in ep1, maybe thats why it wont load. But i thnk the brushes will load, have you tried this??
Craziestdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
vecima

for me, .vmf files created in EP1 hammer open fine in orangebox hammer.

I've been able to move my whole mod over to the orange box engine from EP1, except that any prop_vehicle_apc(s) that were in the map won't have tires when you compile the map (instead they have an odd graphical error), and the default choreo scenes won't play.
vecima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Craziestdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecima View Post
for me, .vmf files created in EP1 hammer open fine in orangebox hammer.

I've been able to move my whole mod over to the orange box engine from EP1, except that any prop_vehicle_apc(s) that were in the map won't have tires when you compile the map (instead they have an odd graphical error), and the default choreo scenes won't play.
i havent reall done much work at all in the orange box engine, only some work on TF2 and portal. But i havent worked on episode 2. I thought episdoe 2 would only let you use episode 2 props and not hl2?? i may be wrong

degenatron, what game game are you mapping for??? if its episode 2, then i think you should stick to ep1 engine. Becoz i assume its a mod your making and a mod needs to be half life 2, which is the ep1 engine.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
vecima

no, EP2 mapping has all of the HL2 props and all of the EP2 props.

you can make a mod with the orange box version of the engine that only requires HL2 to play, but then you don't get all of the EP2 props.
vecima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Degenatron

The two MODs I've been working with are DOD:S and Empires.

When I open the maps, I get nothing in the display windows. Hammer doesn't crash or give any errors at all. I simply cannot see anything displayed in the 3D or 2D views.

I had a feeling I might have to carry Empires over into the new engine, but I thought the worst it would do was have no textures or entities. On the other hand, DOD:S is already listed in the pull down menu for TOB so when I couldn't pull that up I figured it was something else.

Thanks for the feedback. At least this lets me know this is not a universal problem and the program should have worked the way I expected it to.

D-Gen
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Craziestdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenatron View Post
The two MODs I've been working with are DOD:S and Empires.

When I open the maps, I get nothing in the display windows. Hammer doesn't crash or give any errors at all. I simply cannot see anything displayed in the 3D or 2D views.

I had a feeling I might have to carry Empires over into the new engine, but I thought the worst it would do was have no textures or entities. On the other hand, DOD:S is already listed in the pull down menu for TOB so when I couldn't pull that up I figured it was something else.

Thanks for the feedback. At least this lets me know this is not a universal problem and the program should have worked the way I expected it to.

D-Gen

this happens every time i launch a map on any engine, its just the camera putting you in a lost spot. if you see your props and brushes on the 2d views, then click on the top tab named 'map' the in the list that scrolls down, click on find entities, then click a entitie and it will take you there
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
Degenatron

OK, took a fresh look at hammer in TOB.

It's not the maps I'm opening. Hammer won't even open a New map. This may be a video driver issue. Or it may be that TOB is not loading the base resources it needs to display properly.

There's no 2d grids or anything. I can see the scroll bars change in size when I zoom in the 2D windows, but there is nothing else.

I'm testing it out.

Thanks for the help.

D-Gen

Last edited by Degenatron: 04-19-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Craziestdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenatron View Post
OK, took a fresh look at hammer in TOB.

It's not the maps I'm opening. Hammer won't even open a New map. This may be a video driver issue. Or it may be that TOB is not loading the base resources it needs to display properly.

There's no 2d grids or anything. I can see the scroll bars change in size when I zoom in the 2D windows, but there is nothing else.

I'm testing it out.

Thanks for the help.

D-Gen
hmm, well if u still cant fix it post some screen shpts so we get a better understanding

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design