Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
14fenix

Steam Offline Mode - RIDICULOUS

I'm having LAN problems at home so I can't go online. None of my games will launch from offline mode and most recently, I can't even open Steam in offline mode ("an error connecting to the Steam network" - brilliant).

I just searched around and found the explanation of how to use offline mode (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555) and have to say, this is absolutely absurd. Unfortunately for me, the lack of connectivity was unforeseen and couldn't make all the necessary changes and updates to my programs while I was still online. Even had I seen these steps earlier, I still think this is ridiculous.

Now what, the games I paid $20 to $50 for are ALL inaccessible? Can't play Portal, can't play HL2, can't do Bot matches in CS:S.

Are you kidding me?

I had problems with this like 2 years ago with this but I forgot about it entirely and thought it'd be worked out by now. The 'solution' listed in that recent article is nothing but a band-aid solution to the problem.

For the love of god, can this please get some attention?

Last edited by 14fenix: 07-04-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Mystman|666

How are those requirements absurd?

All I see is:

1. Ensure the game is fully downloaded
2. Play the game at least once so it is correctly configured
3. Allow Steam to save your login information

It's easy to see why 1 and 3 are neccesary and I doubt that many people encounter problems with requirement 2.
Mystman|666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
14fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystman|666 View Post
How are those requirements absurd?

All I see is:

1. Ensure the game is fully downloaded
2. Play the game at least once so it is correctly configured
3. Allow Steam to save your login information

It's easy to see why 1 and 3 are neccesary and I doubt that many people encounter problems with requirement 2.
I am trying to play in offline mode.

To download the latest updates for a fully updated game and make the changes, I need to be online.

Absurd is a good word imo.
14fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Shadow_Man_PW

If the games fully updated why do you need to update it?
Shadow_Man_PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
stranded

Banned
you just need to download latest updates. launch the desired game, and then switch steam to offline. what's wrong with that?

you mean you wanna play the game when you buy it OUT OF THE BOX? install and go right?? read what's written on the box, YOU NEED internet connection to launch the games..
stranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
14fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowski View Post
you just need to download latest updates. launch the desired game, and then switch steam to offline. what's wrong with that?

you mean you wanna play the game when you buy it OUT OF THE BOX? install and go right?? read what's written on the box, YOU NEED internet connection to launch the games..
I thought the point of offline mode is that when you DO NOT have an internet connection, you can still play.

Am I missing something here?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
iHaxTheNaked

if you read the boxes for valves recent games, they all say they require an internet connection
iHaxTheNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Epsilon

Basically, the problem is that when they were designing Steam, they didn't think about what would happen if your Internet connection went out.

Offline mode was bludgeoned into the codebase after the fact, and it still doesn't really work right. If you're lucky, it does. If you're unlucky, it doesn't, and it's highly unlikely they'll ever put in the effort to make sure it works 100% of the time.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Eek!

I've never really looked into offline mode; it's something I've seen before but not thought about. So if you abruptly lose your internet connection for whatever reason, you can't open Steam and set it to run offline, because you need to be online to do that? If that's correct than yes, that's really a bit silly. If it's incorrect then be on your way
Eek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
14fenix

I was playing CS:S Monday evening when my connection dropped (which means at this point, I was up to date). Tuesday after work with my connection still down I couldn’t even launch offline mode.

I understand the reason for the “Internet Connection Required” (verifying the product is legit and getting updates, etc) but when you just want to play single-player without a connection but can’t, it really bothers me.

And yeah, it just seems like this was never really focused on by Steam and so a crappy system arose which is very disappointing since I do really like the overall software.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Cabal17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14fenix View Post
I thought the point of offline mode is that when you DO NOT have an internet connection, you can still play.

Am I missing something here?
It does work that way. If Steam can't find an internet connection it will start in offline mode, but for offline mode to work you have to have connected to Steam in the past with it set to save your account info and have started the games at least once while connected, since the game's executables are not actually downloaded until you start them for the first time after an update.
Cabal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
mchufnagel

To everyone who is bagging on the OP for not reading the requirements, do some reading yourself. He said that his internet isn't working and that it was an unforseen situation. So those games have already been activated.

I've seen a lot of people complain about offline mode with Steam. So I've been pro-active about it. I often switch Steam to offline mode before I shut down for the night. This way I'm prepared for any internet disruption.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
14fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchufnagel View Post
To everyone who is bagging on the OP for not reading the requirements, do some reading yourself. He said that his internet isn't working and that it was an unforseen situation. So those games have already been activated.

I've seen a lot of people complain about offline mode with Steam. So I've been pro-active about it. I often switch Steam to offline mode before I shut down for the night. This way I'm prepared for any internet disruption.
Thank-you. I thought I was going insane.

I'll consider doing the same when I get going again.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
jonfitt

I think the key is you must switch to Offline mode while Online which can't be done if your connection goes down unexpectedly.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Mystman|666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfitt View Post
I think the key is you must switch to Offline mode while Online which can't be done if your connection goes down unexpectedly.
Simply not true in my experience.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had a number of occasions where my internet died/router died for a few days. During that time, I could just boot Steam, it would try to connect to the internet, fail, and go into offline mode. I could then play the games just fine. I absolutely didn't have to first enable offline mode while connected.

edit: just double checked. I exited steam, killed my internet connection, restarted steam. It couldn't make a connection (naturally), and I got a dialog box asking me if I wanted to retry the connection, or just boot in offline mode. I chose offline mode, booted css, and started a match against bots. All worked perfectly and without a hitch.

Now, I fully believe the OP if he says that his games were also updated, played before, etc, and that offline mode doesn't work for him. But that would be because offline mode might be buggy. When offline mode works as intended (as it seems to do for me), it's a nice system.

Last edited by Mystman|666: 04-23-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Mystman|666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode