Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
shackanaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystman|666 View Post
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had a number of occasions where my internet died/router died for a few days. During that time, I could just boot Steam, it would try to connect to the internet, fail, and go into offline mode. I could then play the games just fine. I absolutely didn't have to first enable offline mode while connected.
That is exactly how it worked for me when I moved my computer and didn't have Internet access for several days.

BTW there is already a thread on this issue: Playing Steam Games In Offline Mode

Last edited by shackanaw: 04-23-2008 at 01:11 PM.
shackanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
RabidZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHaxTheNaked View Post
if you read the boxes for valves recent games, they all say they require an internet connection
Recent, as in from Half Life 2's launch.

Offline mode should work fine unless:
Something is preventing Steam from saving/reading the account information on your computer(don't ask where, I don't know).
You have set NOT to save account information on your computer (check in Steam settings).
You logged out manually(?).
Your Steam hasn't fully updated.

Otherwise, it should be working fine. Make sure Steam has administrator's access when logging in before the offline session, and if all else fails, try uninstalling Steam (via Add/Remove) and reinstalling.
RabidZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
14fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidZombie View Post
Offline mode should work fine unless:
Something is preventing Steam from saving/reading the account information on your computer(don't ask where, I don't know).
You have set NOT to save account information on your computer (check in Steam settings).
You logged out manually(?).
Your Steam hasn't fully updated.
I'll try these out when I can but I still think it's silly that someone has to look into these things before hand just to be safe. Why not just have those settings as default to begin with and save people the trouble (I know there have been threads on this) of learning after the fact that they can't launch the games they paid for.

Thanks for the replies.
14fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Go_That_Guy

Could not start in offline mode, steam could not connect to the internet.

Good job, Requiring an internet connection to start offline mode. All of my games are set to automatically update, so that's not the problem. I can't play most of my games because they're not available, and games like CSS crash.

Great coding on your steam features, as usual

Last edited by Go_That_Guy: 04-23-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Go_That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
BloodShed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_That_Guy View Post
Could not start in offline mode, steam could not connect to the internet.

Good job, Requiring an internet connection to start offline mode. All of my games are set to automatically update, so that's not the problem. I can't play most of my games because they're not available, and games like CSS crash.

Great coding on your steam features, as usual.
I have Never had those problems. My offline has all ways worked for me.

Last edited by Matt: 04-23-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed Insults
BloodShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystman|666 View Post
I exited steam, killed my internet connection, restarted steam.
Does this also work if the connection goes down while logged in?
  • 1) Kill internet connection.
  • 2) Try one of these:
    • a) Try to enable offline mode by restarting steam.
    • b) Try to enable offline mode via the file menu.
    • c) Do nothing.
  • 3) Try to run any game.
Now sure this is not how you're supposed to enable offline mode, but that's what can happen if the internet connection unexpectedly fails.

Last edited by pizzahut: 04-23-2008 at 03:03 PM.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #22
HooHoo

amazing how many people think that when their internet is down, they are offline. if you are connected to a router your pc still thinks its online. you must be off line to run steam in offline mode. either pull your ethernet cord from the back or your pc or disable your internet connection in network connections to make your pc offline. then and only then will steam run in offline mode.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #23
Winterkid

If you're running the ZoneAlarm firewall, there's an option to completely disallow ALL network traffic, including the internet and Steam. Right-click the ZA icon in the System Tray and select "Stop all Internet Activity"
Winterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #24
Cabal17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooHoo View Post
amazing how many people think that when their internet is down, they are offline. if you are connected to a router your pc still thinks its online. you must be off line to run steam in offline mode. either pull your ethernet cord from the back or your pc or disable your internet connection in network connections to make your pc offline. then and only then will steam run in offline mode.
I'm sorry but you're wrong. Your computer will still be connected to the network, but it will not think its "online." Windows Vista even shows that it has network connectivity but not internet connectivity in the Networks and Sharing center in such an event. If your internet is down, but the network is still up Steam will be unable to connect and WILL run in offline mode, I've had this happen several times.
Cabal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #25
Mystman|666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut View Post
Does this also work if the connection goes down while logged in?
Yup, just tested:

-Started internet
-Started Steam
-Killed my connection to my router and thus to the internet
-Started Puzzle Quest and Peggle without a problem
-Exited Steam
-Restarted Steam
-Got the "do you want to retry the connection or connect in offline mode?" dialog
-Started in offline mode
-Started Darwinia without a problem
-Restored my internet connection in order to type this

I chose those games because they boot a lot faster than say css, but I have no reason to doubt that the source games won't work.
edit: Actually, starting a multiplayer-game like css while not connected even though Steam still thinks that it is connected might give interesting results.. but I don't have time to check that now.. really need to go to school.
Mystman|666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #26
Taalen

This thread says it all about why I've been boycotting Steam from day one, and consider it an excellent idea. I'd pay good money for Steam-free version of Half-Life 2 for example, though.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #27
14fenix

Mystmann, I honestly dunno why it didn't work for me. I had the right settings for it but for whatever reason, it doesn't work unless I switch to offline mode while still connected (which is what I'm going to do now regularly since my connection is shaky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taalen View Post
This thread says it all about why I've been boycotting Steam from day one, and consider it an excellent idea. I'd pay good money for Steam-free version of Half-Life 2 for example, though.
Since it really doesn't affect that many people (it can affect anyone though) and there are work-arounds, I doubt a boycott would pick-up any momentum. It's just something that should be brought to attention because it can be very frustrating.
14fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #28
Varsity

I've sometimes had offline mode break when I lose my connection, usually when it's for an extended period (grr). But I've never been able to replicate the fault after getting it back. :s
Varsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #29
Reaper21

Ive only been on line once with steam and offline mode works perfectly fine with me
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #30
Ahrel

Banned
I have had the same experience as Mystman|666, if I have no internet connection, when steam launches as my computer boots or I launch steam, it will ask if I want to launch in offline mode or try to connect again.

The only time I cannot do this, is if the last time I was online was not on that particular computer. If I leave my computer on and logged into Steam, then log into Steam on one of my Laptops, Steam on the desktop will request a a password to connect.

Whatever DRM steam uses seems to flag whatever computer you were logged into at the time, when you log into another location.

Simple fix is to not stay logged in (or not keep my computer on).
Ahrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode