Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #76
~virant

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNF View Post
I'm trying to get offline mode to work, but I get these two errors after it can't find an internet connection and I click "go offline":

http://imgur.com/hnYiA.png

This is insane, I paid for these games and I can't even play them when I want to? Thanks Valve, some quality service you have there.
Last night my laptop crashed with steam active in the background and now I get the same problem. I don't know whether the crash is related or not, or maybe it's a problem with my connection/local cache/ISP cache. Bottom line: welcome to hell.
~virant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #77
Epiczz115

I know, i could only play HALF-LIFE 1!
Epiczz115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #78
Ploggin@!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystman|666 View Post
Simply not true in my experience.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had a number of occasions where my internet died/router died for a few days. During that time, I could just boot Steam, it would try to connect to the internet, fail, and go into offline mode. I could then play the games just fine. I absolutely didn't have to first enable offline mode while connected.

edit: just double checked. I exited steam, killed my internet connection, restarted steam. It couldn't make a connection (naturally), and I got a dialog box asking me if I wanted to retry the connection, or just boot in offline mode. I chose offline mode, booted css, and started a match against bots. All worked perfectly and without a hitch.

Now, I fully believe the OP if he says that his games were also updated, played before, etc, and that offline mode doesn't work for him. But that would be because offline mode might be buggy. When offline mode works as intended (as it seems to do for me), it's a nice system.
that is a rhetorical statement "But that would be because offline mode might be buggy. When offline mode works as intended (as it seems to do for me), it's a nice system." and it is because of the word Buggy! Steam Support says that you need to launch every game in online mode, then while online click the Steam menu, then tell it to switch to offline mode. It isn't till this event that Offline mode is properly enabled. You have to do it this way because the DRM information and Checksum for the current status of your games is downloaded to a CACHE file that steam uses to verify integrity of your games as noted in the EULA

If you were able to just go into offline mode without doing this one of two things had to have happened;

1.) your right that the system is buggy and it is VERY BUGGY AND HARDLY WORKS, and when your internet was gone it just switched. It wasn't suppose to happen that way, and go to online mode, you simply loose community connections, but your already logged into the server network, it isn't' switching to offline mode. anyway if at that point you closed steam it wouldn't' just go and work in offline mode yet

2.) you forgot that you already prepared yourself for this and Switched to online mode while logged into the steam Site with the Steam Software at some point in the past, and your game files were already Cached.

The system however is fine over all, now there is a bigger Problem though which does make me made, and I am thinking Steam was as as can be with this problem. What happens after you spend so much money on your games, and don't want internet and or you move to where there is no internet/something big happens. Here is the big problem. Steam shouldn't be requiring us to have internet for the rest of our lives, to do so, is ridiculous. Definitely, PC's don't' work 100% all of the time right? Here is the Senerio now;

1.) Prepare as I slap Steam in the face harder then I just did. Power surge splat My RAM CPU AND HD are dead and boot Table no longer works, the PC wont' boot, and I have a OEM HP or similar PC, and internet isn't around in the area I live anymore (this Doubles as a Custom PC prob too). How to Fix this? reload PC wiping out the Registry where the Steam login stuff is stored, Offline mode GONE no more to work on, reload PC to use it and well there went for me 800 bux I can not enjoy anymore.

2.) Man I want a New CPU and a GPU, so I upgrade, OH shoot I spaced that part Steam CLOUD Security verification, no internet. Yes this happened to me, and it will happen if you even change the name of the Steam Folder, little lone the PC installation that will change with the upgrade even if you don't reinstall. Well No internet no email, can't get the code or verify the code

3.) Steam software stops working for whatever reason, System restore appears to be the only fix besides reinstalling steam, OH no registry gone need to reinstall the key for steam Great, now what, no internet connection, login to offline mode, Cool I did that 10 minutes ago. It doesn't work now though

here is the point PC's break steam is stupid for for getting that it is a Guaranty that a PC will break down, and there isn't' much we can do about it either, and Frankly many people don't always have internet or they move to an area it is over priced, doesn't work right, or they just don't' want it anymore. If all the internet is needed for is the installation and updating, why not change how the games are installed/checked. Maybe something as little as logging into every possible account that could be used on the PC, then integrate the login tag to the File and Save a steam cfg somewhere to verify user login. This is a great idea, because well I have 5 Steam accounts in my house, and 3 PC's, all of which have more then 500 spent for games inside the account. I will loose 2000 because the representation of the offline mode doesn't really say anything about only one user login can be saved. We all saw offline mode on the user login window, but none of us knew till we had a issue that only one user can be saved now huh?

This is what I think is the real Problem here.

SORRY FOR THE REALLY LONG POST, BUT IT IS A WORTHY ONE THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE. BTW the boxes say that you have to have a internet connection to install/activate the game, and then go online to read a huge agreement that doesn't start with You have to have 100% internet connectivity to have more then one Steam account, and even then it still doesn't tell you in the agreement that you can only have 1 Steam Account saved at a time, shoot, it says nothing about back up plans at all!! It doesn't say to play the game you have to have internet connection, it says that you have to have an internet connection to keep your software up to date. Also note that the minimum requirements say nothing about the internet being required to play either!!! These Facts put steam in a Big problem if someone wishes to Fight the irresponsible theft in the event internet goes away for whatever reason!!

AGAIN SORRY
Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #79
Ploggin@!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut View Post
Does this also work if the connection goes down while logged in?
  • 1) Kill internet connection.
  • 2) Try one of these:
    • a) Try to enable offline mode by restarting steam.
    • b) Try to enable offline mode via the file menu.
    • c) Do nothing.
  • 3) Try to run any game.
Now sure this is not how you're supposed to enable offline mode, but that's what can happen if the internet connection unexpectedly fails.

Won't work you have to be logged in and launch every game one time after an update for them to work right, 100% features. and i mean you have to use every software as you intended to properly register for offline mode. I tested this ounce not long ago, 2 months ago actually, and my KF wouldn't work on my lan games in offline mode, I started a game online mode then switched to offline and it would then work. I am one of those people who is about to loose the internet involuntarily due to lack of work in my area, and it isn't' my fault, why should I pay my Internet and not my other bills to keep steam happy?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #80
Ploggin@!@

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasng1989 View Post
Most people seem to forget that at the end of the day, Steam is a DRM. It uses online authentication to ensure that your copy of the game is authentic. Downloading games, demo, video, etc are just add on services to make the DRM more attractive (which is working pretty well I would say). The fact that Steam even has offline mode is just an extra feature that Steam provides. You should be glad that Steam doesn't require continuous internet connection like the upcoming Ubisoft games.

Speaking of which, did you know that once you log onto Steam, you can turn off your internet and it will still work? Thus if you hibernate your computer instead of turning it off, you can use Steam continuously in "online" mode even if there is no internet.

How Ironic, this users no longer able to post in teh forums, and look he says you can use Hibernation and unplug the internet cord while logged in to remain in online mode. Imma leave my comment in my head here!! I dont' want to get banned from posting for it!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #81
ruledragons

Smile

I am having similar issues here. I just came home for the week (from College) and due to the fact that we live in the boonies the internet is god awfully slow. This causes steam to give the same "cannot connect to server" and "this operation cannot be performed in offline mode" when trying to use the offline mode feature. I think that it's rather funny that you get an error saying "this cannot be performed in offline mode" when you are trying to use offline mode... Heck I even HAVE an internet connection, it is just really freakin slow and steam can't connect.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #82
volvo94

Angry [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/colo

so i knew i was going to be on a 5 hour car trip and decided id just play some mafia 2 or red faction single player while in the car. when i get in the car i try to start steam and it obviously says, "cant connect to network". i click start in offline mode and it says again, "cant connect to network/server". NO DUH!!!! i thought the point of offline is that i can just start anywhere and still play at least my single player games. now your telling me i have to switch to offline while online in order to play without connection?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #83
DESERTFOXX

That's why you gotta have some non-steam games in your computer just in case. I remember reading that they're fixing this for the next version of Steam. Hopefully I was sober.
DESERTFOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #84
nopistons420

Banned
steam offline mode has been for years and years and years;

even back in 04 offline mode never worked.
nopistons420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #85
joker007mo

i dont care what causes it drm or not dont add an offline mode if you cant go offline i have to go online to go offline can we see the stupidity in that circular logic or what its why i have stopped purchasing games on steam until i can play painkiller offline forget it
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #86
dazzlia

I actually got it working!

I did the following changes in this order:

1) Googling the problem led me to this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam]
"OfflineAFS"=dword:00000001
"Offline"=dword:00000001

2) I disabled Steam Guard (Steam - Settings - Account - Manage steam guard account security -> off)

3) I changed user once so as to give my password again to Steam. Dunno if this did anything, but I just wanted to flush my account's cache. (Steam - change user -> relog -> make sure password is saved on your computer)

Now it works for me!

Here's what DID NOT work for me, so I have removed these changes:

- doing some steam.cfg file in my steam folder. This actually prevented steam from logging in.
- disabling my wireless card from my laptop; this didn't help at all, still got error message

Last edited by dazzlia: 08-21-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #87
wratho

Ugh, my turn to smash my head against the 'offline' brick wall. Same old story as many others: suddenly lost my internet connection due to a faulty modem and now I have to wait a week before a replacement arrives. In the meantime, trying to play anything offline is throwing errors because, ironically enough, Steam needs to be online before going offline.

I suppose that's fine if you plan to be offline, but does you squat when faced with an unforseen service interruption.

So I realize that there are a bunch of hoops you need to jump through to enable offline mode and that once you've configured Steam to run offline, it should switch to that mode easily. My question is, why the hell isn't an offline configuration being stored on your computer BY DEFAULT, just in case something goes wrong? From what I've read, very little is actually being changed, other than an initial software test to ensure the game is legit. Why can't this be saved to your offline config the first time you run it? It can't be anything more complex than a bloody registry flag.

I really appreciate Steam and it's been almost my soul source of games for years now. But this offline mode nonsense needs to be addressed. Maybe now that there will be some competition coming down the pipe, they won't be able to be complacent anymore and will finally have to start considering fixing stupid irritants like this one. I mean, it's been like this for YEARS. Just make it work for pity's sake.

Preemptive reply to trolls: I'm sending this from work. My boss would also like offline mode fixed so I won't be using my time complaining to you all about it.
wratho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #88
Arttemis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlia View Post
I actually got it working!

I did the following changes in this order:

1) Googling the problem led me to this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam]
"OfflineAFS"=dword:00000001
"Offline"=dword:00000001

2) I disabled Steam Guard (Steam - Settings - Account - Manage steam guard account security -> off)

3) I changed user once so as to give my password again to Steam. Dunno if this did anything, but I just wanted to flush my account's cache. (Steam - change user -> relog -> make sure password is saved on your computer)

Now it works for me!

Here's what DID NOT work for me, so I have removed these changes:

- doing some steam.cfg file in my steam folder. This actually prevented steam from logging in.
- disabling my wireless card from my laptop; this didn't help at all, still got error message
I tried steps 2 and 3 thinking they would work... but no matter what I do, I can't log into Steam without an internet connection.
I have repeatedly logged off/on and told it to save my password, but it constantly tells me:

"Unable to connect to Steam. There are no credentials saved on this computer." in some paragraph of text that I can't remember.

I'm about to try step 1 using regedit.

Edit - Even changing the registry keys to 1 didn't help.

This is what it constantly tells me:

Quote:
Unable to connect to the Steam network. 'Offline Mode' is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer.

You will not be able to use Steam until you can connect to the Steam network again.
But I HAVE stored my login information on the computer... I just did it multiple times! I'm not even offline, I just clicked "Go Offline" and it restarted the client to this message.

This is beyond a major issue. Right now, there is absolutely no way for me to access my games when my internet goes down, and I've followed each of the steps listed on the official Offline Mode support page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555

Somebody at Valve needs to fix this issue! This is something that users should have enabled by default, NOT something that requires tinkering to get working!

Last edited by Arttemis: 09-24-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #89
BlazedWithPower

Steam sucks for offline play. Especially with Valve games. If I lose connectivity for an extended period of time I just uninstall steam.

The offline thing is why I haven't bought any games for Steam since Orange Box.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #90
Arttemis

I don't remember having this problem a few years ago. But considering EA has Origin, Steam really can't let lapses in customer service like this stand.

EDIT

This latest beta has fixed my issues. I can now play my Steam games when I don't have access to the internet. =)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2137083

Last edited by Arttemis: 09-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Tags
offline mode