Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
FuzzDad

Volunteer Moderator
READ THIS

I'm going to be very clear about this...you can disagree all you want about the recent changes to DoDS. You can make your opinion known. But here's the deal: If you flame, if you attack each other, if you try or ignore the swearing filter or any other rule on purpose, you'll get tossed.

Read the rules...follow them...and learn how to disagree without being disagreeable.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
BurtonJ

Valve
And please be constructive with your feedback (positive or negative). It is very difficult for us to improve our games and services if your feedback is not constructive.
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Sullo

Regardless of what other scrubs say, you have finally fixed the game. What it should of been when it first came out imo. WD. I find my bullets go where I aim now
Sullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
comcastftw1266

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullo View Post
Regardless of what other scrubs say, you have finally fixed the game. What it should of been when it first came out imo. WD. I find my bullets go where I aim now
I agree, the new update is fantastic.
comcastftw1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
andy013

Yep, I like it too. I think a lot of people just need to give it some time. I know a lot of DOD players dislike TF2 and because they now share some features they don't like it.

Personally the only things that I feel need fixed are:

Crouch/Prone but going at sprint speed bug.
Low FPS smoke (especially when using the sniper scope near it)
Weapon balancing (increase rocket splash, increase mg COF, increase assault COF)

[EDIT] Oh and some difference explosion effects would be nice.

Last edited by andy013: 07-03-2008 at 10:46 PM.
andy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Hintzmann

I think you guys did a really good job. I am very happy with the update.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
IPwnJoo

^ I'm sure all you assaulters and supporters love it, but for the other classes which require skill and effort, the game is ruined forever. Thanks Valve, uninstalling this waste of a game.

Good work dumbing down the game for the mass audience.
IPwnJoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
Sullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPwnJoo View Post
^ I'm sure all you assaulters and supporters love it, but for the other classes which require skill and effort, the game is ruined forever. Thanks Valve, uninstalling this waste of a game.

You are a moron. GTFO.
Sullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Shane

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:

Quote:
You are a moron. GTFO.
MOD ACTION: Boys, boys, settle down.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
Kendle

Quote:
What it should of been when it first came out
Amen! (oops, too short)
Kendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
w00ties

Quote:

Thats not really a fair argument. You cant claim some classes require skill while others dont just because you favor some over others. Although if you want to take it down that road it could easily be argued that prior to the update the assault class required no skill because it was random, but now it requires aiming. People like you need to learn how to adapt to change.
________
CBF600

Last edited by w00ties: 01-26-2011 at 03:48 AM.
w00ties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
XR-17

There's still the bug of someone from the other team using the uniform of your team. Huge FPS drops with apparently no reason (on donner, the tree next to the allies respawn. IF you're inside the house and open the scope, looking to the tree, your fps drops a lot.)
In avalanche, inside the hotel, there's something that look like a pipe. You can go right trough it. Also in Ava, in the middle, there's a small wall, where lots of people put their mgs. You can go trough it to.
And what about the muzzle flash? Guys, what is that? Release a game with a bug like this....
These are all the bugs that i can remember right now. I liked the new dods, but there's somethings that really annoys me, like the dominating message. Why not make like CSS, two symbols when you dominate someone (in CSS, there's the weapon symbol and the headshot symbol. And why you gys didn't changed the nemesis icon when you get revenge on someone. Last thing, why only mak the crosshair 1 without the dot, instead of making a hole new one or use a custom one (like the ones in SEVEN Xhair pack)?

See ya, and hope its constructive enough (I'm not being sarcastic)
XR-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
bandare

There are some things I can live with in the update but some things just come across as plain wrong. I've progressed through DOD from the old 3.1 days right through and seen the changes "and lived with them" as they happen.

As a result of the poor first efforts of DOD:source, I didnt migrate to DOD Source until this year.

It's superb to know some people at Valve have taken it upon themselves to work on a much needed update but this one seems to have been very much rushed through without really getting it right. I'll explain why I think this:

Like with CSS, it's useful at times to be able to stack players on each other either for boosting or for defense etc. To take this out of the game totally is ridiculous. When CSS moves over to this Source engine, are Valve going to take this out of the CSS game too? If you are, good luck to the grief you will get from the community. Why not work on a fix so we can have a more realistic game than running through players?

While achievements could be a good thing, if we were going to see the delights of extra weapons such as the greasegun, the carbine as a full weapon class or the K43. Why not bring back a full allied class like the British (who were part of the WW2 war you know and a part of DOD!!!!!).

Dominating is annoying in a game and while I think some people will like it if they want the more arcade like feel, I think this should be a cvar that server owners should be able to turn off. Who wants to have that nonsense in a match!

Cone of Fire for the auto's. We seem to have gone from an inferior hitbox system where the auto's were certainly for close range combat only, to a system where the auto's are picking off headshots while running at long range. I just don't understand with the ability to do beta testing as we have and with feedback suggesting that the COF is way too narrow and allowing the auto's supremacy, that nothing gets done with that and the COF remains as is. Now we have to look to the independant modders to look for a fix for this.

I've never seen such an uproar in the community over a patch that has caused so much discomfort for not only individuals in the game but also whole groups. I know quite a few very well established DOD groups considering leaving DOD behind as a result of this update, and that's a great shame!

Overview:

freezecam - really competitive to give away positions. At least it can be turned off!
running through players - stop this nonsense and put it back. This is not TF2!
achievements turn on/off as a cvar
dominating turn on/off as a cvar
turn down the cof!
Put some effort in to bringing back some of the weapons used in WW2 like the K43, greasegun etc!

Come on guys.

Last edited by bandare: 07-05-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
sofwmrebiteme

Soldiers of Foreign Wars clan

Speaking for our clan. I personnally appreciate the spare time and effort you guys at Valve have lent from other projects to update this game. I really don't think alot of people understand the dollars and cents of it all. The idea behind a business is to make money. It is hard for a company to make sense of spending developer time to update a game they have had for a while. DOD:S is an awesome game and it now has a new shine. The complainers will always be with us like bad weather. I don't put much stock in people who don't put solutions with their problems. I want to remind others that complaining is not a solution! If people only knew how many times my mind was going "la la la la la la la" as they were dripping their babble in my ear. I really love the direction you have gone in with the hit registration etc... I have played this game since I was loading it as a HL1 mod and it has never been better. For those of you that think it's dumbing down etc... I want you to think about getting the big picture. It suppose to be FUN! Not Personal! I find myself reminding people of that in game all the time. This is one of those WWII games that can live forever with small updates. We welcome you over to our server to enjoy the experience you have added.
Peace!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Nineaxis

Thanks for the free weekend! I'm one of those "n00b" players who downloaded it, and am pretty confident I'll buy it for the amazing price of $5. I'll say the game plays great, is very friendly to new players, and I had a lot of fun.

All I'd like to suggest is that you guys overhaul the motd/team selection screens. They're pretty ugly and boring, compared to TF2's.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source