Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
Skullar

Stuck at "Scanning for Steam Game Updates"

Like a lot of you guys, I've had troubles after the recent big update.

Unlike a lot of people, I've had no luck fixing the problem after experimenting with deleting:
* Steam.dll
* SteamUI.dll
* ClientRegistry.Blob

I was downloading a big update for TF2, a few days back, when my computer rebooted somewhere during or directly after the download process.

Now when I go to start up TF2, I log in to Steam okay, but it gets stuck at the next phase. It gets stuck at "Scanning for Steam Game Updates".

It doesn't update. And if I just leave it on, unsuccessfully trying, all that happens is that the Steam text file log gets bigger and bigger (as it logs its Steam jibberish), to the point where I have to delete it.

Any help would be so cool.

Last edited by Skullar: 08-04-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
Skullar

Here is what is in the Steam text log, repeating over and over:

CsComm Session Aug-04-2008 01:27:53.897 [232] ReconnectThread (232) Starting

DebugAssert, Name: ?, Line: 1091, Expr: DirEntry.IsValid(), File: .\Src\CacheFileFixedDirectory.cpp

DebugAssert, Name: ?, Line: 1091, Expr: DirEntry.IsValid(), File: .\Src\CacheFileFixedDirectory.cpp

DebugAssert, Name: ?, Line: 1097, Expr: PrevEntry.IsValid(), File: .\Src\CacheFileFixedDirectory.cpp

DebugAssert, Name: ?, Line: 1097, Expr: PrevEntry.IsValid(), File: .\Src\CacheFileFixedDirectory.cpp

Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Skullar

I'm able to access the Steam main menu, as it endlessly tries to update, but when I click on My Games or other tabs, it just tries to update again and fails.

I'm also able to access my correct account screen, which shows my basic stats, lists my friends and their current online status. But that's about it.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Skullar

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Skullar

Anyone? Please?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
AciD

Volunteer Moderator
Try deleting all files from you Steam installation folder except Steam.exe and SteamApps folder.
Note:If you want to keep your favoritue servers list make a backup copy of file serverbrowser.vdf located in C:\Program Files\Steam\config.
(I assume you got Steam installed in C:\Program Files\Steam)
AciD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Skullar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AciD View Post
Try deleting all files from you Steam installation folder except Steam.exe and SteamApps folder.
Note:If you want to keep your favoritue servers list make a backup copy of file serverbrowser.vdf located in C:\Program Files\Steam\config.
(I assume you got Steam installed in C:\Program Files\Steam)
Hi, I'm back from a short vacation. Thank you for the reply. I did what you suggested not long after my first post and it didn't produce any positive results.

Should I try again, except this time following the 'Cleanly reinstalling Steam' help page written by the Valve Developer Community?

Also, I'm thinking that since it all orbited around a Team Fortress update, maybe I should use add/remove programs to delete TF ? Then re-download all of TF?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Major Del

This seems like a common issue as I'm getting a similar issue with still no solution. both my Half Life 2 and Source SDK Base are stuck at "Download Starting... I have tried all these fixes and the problem is still there. The next step I suppose is to delete local content of Half Life 2. My only concern is that it may interfer with other Source games, or will it not be an issue to delete the Half life 2 and try to redownload it?

Thanks for any help
Major Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Skullar

I have that dilemma too, Major Del. Since my DVD rom drive failed recently, I'm hesitant to completely uninstall TF. I'm wondering if all of TF will download.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Skullar

I fixed my problem

I moved all Team Fortress stuff out of SteamApps, along with my local content folder. Steam downloaded everything back, replacing any bad files. I then deleted what I moved.

Boom, I'm back on Steam and playing
Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
Azurth

My fix

i think i was experiencing the same problem and i just had to delete the "Team fortress content.cfg" and the "Sourcesdk.cfg" in the steamapps folder.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #12
Satch

Guys, i bringing this topic back to life as im having same problem. I load up steam fine, but i cant play ANY games on it. I click on Tools, Media OR Games and its just blank saying 'Scanning for Steam Game Updates...' And ive waited an hour+ for it to show my games but it just wont. Done restart of PC and steam many times over. Deleted Clientregistry.blob and did latest update again still with no luck. Any help on my situation would be much appreciated as I cant play any games atall at the moment as 90% of them run through steam....

Thanks again.
-SatcH
Old 10-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #13
sander_dutch

I had the same problem today and after clientregistry.blob didn't fix it, I decided to opt for the Steam Beta client so the client would be fully reinstalled.

IT WORKED!

It seems like the new Killing Floor update did something to Steam, because as soon as Steam started working again with the beta client, it started downloading the new Killing Floor update.
The beta client can be installed if you go into Steam, then file/settings/account and then opt for the beta client from the pull down menu.

Feel free to add rep if this solved your problem
sander_dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Craized

I'm having this problem now too, I tried the suggestions in this thread and in the others. Nothing works. It was working fine just 20 minutes ago, I shut down my computer to clean out the dust because temps were getting high, and when I booted up again I got this...

Steam is hogging my bandwidth, as if it is downloading something, so I'll probably just let it run all night and see if it ever finishes whatever it's doing. Some transparency would be nice though, I'd like to know exactly what it's doing instead of this vague "scanning for updates" message.

Edit: It just finished, turns out it was a Global Agenda update.
Craized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Number11th

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craized View Post
I'm having this problem now too, I tried the suggestions in this thread and in the others. Nothing works. It was working fine just 20 minutes ago, I shut down my computer to clean out the dust because temps were getting high, and when I booted up again I got this...

Steam is hogging my bandwidth, as if it is downloading something, so I'll probably just let it run all night and see if it ever finishes whatever it's doing. Some transparency would be nice though, I'd like to know exactly what it's doing instead of this vague "scanning for updates" message.

Edit: It just finished, turns out it was a Global Agenda update.
how long did it take?
Number11th is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips