Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Izzib3th

Server Not Responding

Hello,

After the new Heavy update, I started having the following problem:

I can login to steam and TF2 just fine. I can even join a server. However, after I join the first server, any other one that I click on I get "Server Not Responding" (not the Auto-Retry option due to it being full). My Favorites list also will not load and if I have any Friends online & playing the "Friends" tab says that there are no servers that fit the description. Also, if I hit refresh sometimes it will show 200 servers and then when I hit it again it suddenly jumps up to 2,000+. Either way, when I click on any of them at all I get the "Server Not Responding" error. If I quit the game and restart, it will let me choose one server to go to before locking me out of all the others with "Server Not Responding".

I have tried uninstalling Steam and TF2 and reinstalling with no luck.

I also do have internet even though all of the servers on TF2 stop responding. So it is, as far as I can tell, not on my end. But... there is another computer in the same household as myself and on the same internet connection (FiOS) that is not having this problem.

Thanks for your time!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
putnamehere3145

I have this problem as well
Open the console and type "connect (server IP)
That should work.
It's really ing annoying, though.
putnamehere3145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Addictedd

i'm also getting the same thing but cannot even connect using console, its really annoying now. it was after the second css update!
Addictedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Grobag

I've been getting this problem as well. It often happens when I try to join servers for the first time in a session.
Grobag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Habeas

I've Found a Solution To This Problem

I recently got Steam after not playing CS or DoD for like, 6 years, and found that this problem was happening every time I tried to play. It was, of course, frustrating, so I sought out to the internet for a solution. I didn't find one. I then decided to find one, because seriously, this problem sucks.

I found that this is most definitely a router issue. The first time you run DoD (or any other game), you will get a large list of servers. Let the servers run their course, but DON'T TRY TO JOIN A SERVER YET. I think what happens is that all the servers pinging your router causes it to freeze up, so your internet will be compromised for a little while. So, minimize the game or do something else for a little while. I usually wait about 5-10 minutes. Now, when you go back to the game, do a Quick Refresh just to get the current players and maps, and then try to join a game. It works for me every time.

Here's a simplified process of what to do:
1. Open game
2. Find Servers (You should be able to get the list on your first startup. If you don't, quit the game and wait 10 minutes or so before trying again.
3. DON'T JOIN A SERVER until about 10 minutes have passed.
4. After 10 minutes, do a quick refresh and then try to join a server. You should find success.

Hope this is helpful for some people, it definitely was an annoying problem for me. I plan on investing in a new router pretty soon.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Addictedd

waiting 10minutes, however good, is not a solution im afraid.
Addictedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Habeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedd View Post
waiting 10minutes, however good, is not a solution im afraid.
Without waiting, you can't play.

With waiting, you can.

Sounds like a solution to me.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
zewill87

This is very annoying.. TF2 can never find servers for me either (well, half the time it works, other time it doesnt).

This is not firewall or antivirus issues, all other games are ok. Only DOD, CS, TF2, valve games bug... Seriously, i played TF2 again yesterday, and in "history" there are no servers... Wtf, valve...
zewill87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
zewill87

no one else has server issues? Servers not appearing, no played history even if you play everyday?

When finds a server says it is not responding. if you spam the "join" button, it will eventually connect and work, but this is only when some servers can be displaid...
zewill87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Meridian

Is happening to me in cs 1.6 and in cs:go.
In cs 1.6 i wait 1-2 minutes than its fine, in cs:go the waiting doesnt help
Meridian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips