Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hinterland

Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
hedonist

Thumbs down not worth the money

Wow, what a let down. I'm sorry I spent the $20 on this thing.

It's an interesting game, but very very buggy, and the maximum resolution is 1024x768, with no aspect ratio.. What kind of modern game hasn't got this figured out yet?!

In the game you manage a town, and fight creatures. That's about it. Managing the town is kinda fun, you find stuff from looting and you have to give it to your villagers to make them more productive.

The game interface is horrible and combat is buggy at best. In order to give a villager an item, like a hoe to a farmer you have to have them quit their job, give them the hoe and send them back on their way. There is a handy "town inventory" where you store stuff -- couldn't the developers have made an interface to drag this things onto the people or something without all the mouse clicks involved in adding the person, giving, dropping? It's pretty tedious. In longer games they are forever breaking stuff, so you spend more time ensuring everyone has tools, and in order to do that you have to make a big party and review thier equipment. This was very poorly handled.

Combat is goofy until you learn that hold down shift and drag your cursor around until you hit a monster. It took me forever to stop walking and start hitting the creeps. It might honestly be the most boring combat in the history of boring combat as well, there is no finesee, or even hack, just click and wait. /snore

Honestly the game Depths of Peril does the whole town management thing with action combat much nicer, and more fun. This game is simply a snore fest. Absolutely not worth a highquality shareware price of $20... This should be in the bargin $4.99 aisle.

##edit:
Apparently I was wrong about the resolution, there is a way to get it to 1280x1024, but still no aspect setting.

Last edited by hedonist: 10-06-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
yincision

Thumbs up Give it time. You are missing something.

Wow. That is a little harsh. Almost everything in your post is either wrong or a misunderstanding.

First, the resolution thing - I am playing at 1680x1050 and it looks great.

The combat thing - it is VERY easy to just click one monster, then the rest of your party attacks that one until you click another. You can also draw them out one at a time (similar to "pulling" in MMORPG's). Use the minimap in the left lower corner to see where they are.

The interface - you don't need to have people quit jobs or anything to hand them items. You can do it through the "Followers" screen or the individual information panel for each person. It is basically a one-step process to drag from your town inventory onto the person you want to give the item to. Very slick and easy in my opinion.

I have found the game easy and completely enjoyable. Read the instructions, play around a little and you will find that all of your complaints will be addressed.
yincision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Static247

Some people just like things to be pretty and spoonfed to them. I personally think this game is great and I would recommend it to anyone with $20 and a few hours to kill.
Static247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
bandyman

After some problems with steam payment i eventually got playing this game and found it very enjoyable, Yes there was some bugs but what new game dosent come with them!, For instance after about an hour or two of playing all my enemies become invisable so it was confusing how my people were fighting something when there wasnt anything there? but this is fixed by a quick restart.
If your thinking of buying this game I say go for it. I have all ready been playing it many times with several different charecters and its still good fun.. gooooo oooonnn you know you want to buy it
Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
disfeld

... and it looks like a patch/fix has just been released for you "invisible" problem too bandyman... I like the game and the support it is getting
disfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
dKiWi

WATCH TOWER BUFF IS IN ORDER
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
transmission

I agree with the 1st guy
$4.99 bin thanks
its a disgusting game to be sold in this day and age
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
yincision

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmission View Post
I agree with the 1st guy
$4.99 bin thanks
its a disgusting game to be sold in this day and age
What are your specific complaints? If you agree with the first guy then you are totally wrong about the game. Maybe you should spend a little time and learn how to play it before you can it.
yincision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
bandyman

Ohh a patch, that will be nice, I will be downloading that asap. But i find it funny how some people say a game like this shouldnt be sold in this day and age? Not all game companys have millions to spend on games you know. Go Indies! :P
Old 10-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
War-A-Tron

Play hardcore mode.

Its the only mode that gets the adrenaline going because death = Permanent death. Your heart will beat 100 beats a minute when you are running for your life. Very few games get the adrenaline going (Eve online is a example of one) but you play the game compleatly differently in hardcore mode.
War-A-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #11
Psamathos

Quote:
Originally Posted by War-A-Tron View Post
Play hardcore mode.

Its the only mode that gets the adrenaline going because death = Permanent death. Your heart will beat 100 beats a minute when you are running for your life. Very few games get the adrenaline going (Eve online is a example of one) but you play the game compleatly differently in hardcore mode.
Oh man, are you right about EVE. When I warp into a low-sec system to find that I've stupidly let myself fall into a gate camp and I'm about to lose my ship and cargo... god, my heart rate shoots through the roof. It scared me out of low-sec for a month. I'll definitely try it on hardcore now, that sounds awesome.
Psamathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
highwayblues

unless free updates are released to expand on the core game, id suggest someone to spend $20 on an older game (i.e. you can get age of empires 2 +expansions for under $10 or fallout 1 & 2 for under $10)that's has a fleshed out concept. i had high hopes for this game upon release. i had high hopes partially from tilted mill's support when hinterland was initially released but with time, they've proved to be a disappointment supporting their product. and i will think twice before buying a game from tilted mill again, regretfully.
highwayblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
bardido

Wink Thankyou

Thankyou mate, i was going to buy that game!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
MGLK

In the end you can just base it off of the metascore (65), this is a niche game that appeals to some - while disappoints others. It's a great laptop PC game and I personally enjoy it. The 1st post guy is obviously brain-dead if he couldn't figure out the simple interface LOL chance is you would like this game if you like Diablo/Titan Quest style games but are willing to sacrifice combat complexity and a story-line for party based combat (dragon trainers, necros with zombies) and town management...

In short, this game takes some intelligence to appreciate...

Last edited by MGLK: 07-08-2009 at 06:09 PM.
MGLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
EvilDastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLK View Post
In the end you can just base it off of the metascore (65), this is a niche game that appeals to some - while disappoints others. It's a great laptop PC game and I personally enjoy it. The 1st post guy is obviously brain-dead if he couldn't figure out the simple interface LOL chance is you would like this game if you like Diablo/Titan Quest style games but are willing to sacrifice combat complexity and a story-line for party based combat (dragon trainers, necros with zombies) and town management...

In short, this game takes some intelligence to appreciate...
Exactly. I wouldn't trust a "review" coming from a guy who couldn't even figure out how to change resolutions. Sheesh.

This is a fun little game. It isn't the kind of game that you crack out on for weeks on end, but I've had this for over 6 months and still find myself coming back to it for a game or two every now and then. Totally worth the price.
EvilDastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hinterland