Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2

Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Princess Garnet

Half Life 2 Won't Start

I know this topic has been done a plethora of times, but I've checked a plethora of other things and nothing is helping.

Many people seem to have this issue, but this one is most similar to my problem (though his fix didn't work for me).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=686407

Here's the symptoms.

I used to play all of my games on Steam fine. I reinstalled Windows one day, and installing Steam and my many games was one of the first things I did. Since then, Half Life 2 would not work. I'd get the "Preparing to Launch Half Life 2..." box, and then nothing. I'd see the button for it on the taskbar for a second, and the Task Manager would show hl2.exe, but then it'd instantly minimize/close. There are no errors.

I soon found out other games were doing the same. I have a good deal of games on Steam (Valve Collection for starters), and most work fine, but it seems to be the Source engine games that do not. Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, and Counter Strike Source do not work (may be others). However, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half Life 2: Episode 2 work fine, and those are Source engine games. I read that the recent Source games use a newer Source 2007 engine. I figure this must be why they work (different engine). So, let's chalk it up that the original Source engine just isn't working for me.

Here's what I've tried.

This FAQ and many others.
This FAQ My problem is the exact opposite, with OLDER Source games not working, while new ones work fine.
Reinstalling said games (though they started at ~75% each time).
Deleting ClientRegistry.blob.
Verified the integrity of the game cache files.
I have no anti-virus running (at all) that would possibly conflict.
No background services (as of now with Steam and Firefox running, I have a mere 25 services open).
Updated to the latest DirectX runtimes.
Windows is up to date.
Variable video card drivers make no difference.
Tried -autoconfig launch option.
Tried variable desktop resolutions.

My specification (Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, 8800GT) are fine enough, so it's got to be Windows, Steam, or the games. As I said above, I've concluded 99% it's the games, Since Windows was fresh when I installed it, and since there's a constant I can see linking it to the games in some way, so I didn't bother reintalling Steam and having to download everything over many hours. I notice each time I reinstall the games, it starts at ~75%, and I read this is because it already has the engine (as in, when I delete the games, the Source engine obviously doesn't go with it). Well, I think that's my problem. My Source engine seems to be messed up. How can I delete this and reinstall it?

Never got too far the first time I started it, and I want to play it and the two following chapters, but I can't since only the last of the three work.

Last edited by Princess Garnet: 10-07-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
DeteZvezda

I have exactly the same problem. Trying to solve it for the last month, but without succes. Which Windows have you reinstall. I wondering if it isnt the problem with XP SP3 ... ?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
HuskyGnoll

I had this problem for a while, I've fixed it recently yesterday. The problem may be that your game didn't install correctly, to fix it you have to go into the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\[username]\half-life 2\ folder. If the only thing in this folder, besides folders, is hl2.exe go into the bin folder and copy (not cut) all the contents of that folder into the half-life 2 folder. Reply if you have anymore problems.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Mr_Ymmit

Exclamation Try this...

I had a problem very similar to this not too long ago. I see that you have 4 GB of RAM, meaning you (should) be running a 64-bit OS. The problem, not in newer games(IRRC, HL2, HL2: DM, and CSS were the only ones), was caused by my 64-bit OS. I fixed it by:

Go into Steam
Games List
Right click an affected game
Properties
Set launch options...
In the little box, type:
-32bit
OK
Launch game
If it works, repeat steps with all affected games.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Cervidanti

Banned
All these topics make me wonder why steam is so popular.

It seems like every user has constant problems with it.
Cervidanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Mr_Ymmit

Cool ^True

But most of them are one-time things. Once you can fix the (usually simple) thing(s) making your setup behave strangely, it's a great system.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
amit20038

I have this problem too...
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
ChaosDwarf

-32bit in launch option
ChaosDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Greenhorn

I had that for HL 2 and Episode 1 while Episode 2, Portal and such worked fine.

As I had trouble with the refresh-rate in Sven-coop and other HL 1 games and mods (60 Hz making my screen flicker) I used a Tool called RefreshForce (http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/). That solved the Refresh Rate problem, but HL2 and EP 1 stopped working.

So I had to reset the RefreshForce settings to the original settings and I can launch HL 2 again but HL 1 games flickers again as well.

Maybe you used that tool or something like it... I suggest: You turn it on or of depending on what you want to play.
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Salith

Try -autoconfig in the launch options?
Salith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
razvan252

if you wanna play hl2 badly just copy maps/scenes into ep2 and play it. you will get better graphics, ai and such
razvan252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
DoctorWeeTodd

Oh my God! After asking going back and forth with Steam Support and Google, I found people with the same problems!

In the beggining, the problem was older Source games HL2, Episode One, CSS and Vampire the Masquerade would crash my computer upon loading a map. (Episode One would crash upon loading the menu.)

After lots of tweaking, and going to those guides it became that I COULD run the game but in a buggy laggy state, that couldn't load entities properly.

And after tweaking some more, I'm in the state I am now.
DoctorWeeTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
DoctorWeeTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvan252 View Post
if you wanna play hl2 badly just copy maps/scenes into ep2 and play it. you will get better graphics, ai and such
Do you need to go into the CGF?
DoctorWeeTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Khoryos

I'm having this exact same problem, and I have likewise tried the things listed in the OP's post.
It does seem to be all games based on the old Source (duh - edited for name) engine - Even DMoMM doesn't work. SP3 might be to blame, though! I'll try rolling it back.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
razvan252

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWeeTodd View Post
Do you need to go into the CGF?
well, yeah, thats where you extract it from
razvan252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2