Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2 / Source Third-Party Mods

Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #6016
freeman4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut View Post
Yeah, I'd like some clarification on this as well, since this is the most important information, along with system requirements. I know that with Alien Swarm the SDK is free, so you don't need to buy a Source based game in order to play it, but do I need to have the SDK installed before I start to install Black Mesa?

The Wiki FAQ is outdated in this regard, so for launch preparations, I'd like to add the latest info about this to the top of the OP, so people would have as little questions as possible.
System requirements is what I've been wanting to know, and awesome job...I always enjoy reading through your threads.

Edit...THANKS STORMSEEKER!

Last edited by freeman4all: 09-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #6017
Mr. X

If I were to go back in time and told myself (and probably you people) the release date, I would have been burned at the stake.

How'd I know?
If I see a version of me from the future telling me today the game sucks, I will burn him at the stake where he stands.
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #6018
p5ychokilla

I think it's funny how they just left the "2009" end on their trailer video.
p5ychokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6019
prophecy holder

Banned
Now all we have to wait for is the remake of Opposing force, remake of Blue shift and remake of Decay. I am aware that Decay for PC is a remake, but leap frogging single player is annoying.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #6020
Blue Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon He-Man View Post

"Consequences for a MOD?...Certainly didn't see THAT coming..."

...Possibly they were 'unforeseen'...
1. I'll believe it when I see it.

2. There has to be some penalty. Otherwise other modders in the future will take ten years to release something. I wouldnt of minded if there were no "we are looking at 2006" or "we are thinking like 2009"...but we got a lot of that. I dont know about you, but I dont like being a pinata.

Will it be a good playthrough? Probebly. I hope all of you enjoy it. But I'm not participating.
Blue Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #6021
prophecy holder

Banned
I agree with Blue lightning, no criticism of any kind produces laziness even in the modding scene. Problem with the modding scene though is that you expect some lack but nothing majory. Another problem is that some modders cannot handle criticism even if it's correct. They are already getting thier penalty already, plenty of eager fans of Black mesa gave up a while ago and probably don't know it's being released now.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #6022
cannondale06

Banned
well I agree with complaining that it took too long but its asinine to boycott a free mod. its beyond ironic to complain about it never coming out and then refuse to play when it does. we all know it took a long time but lets at least be glad its here now.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #6023
Leushenko

What kind of "penalty" exactly do you think you're able to enforce?

'Cause if you think they care whether you actually play it or not then you may be a bit mistaken. Since it's a free game, made as Art for the sake of Art, there are no sales to track. Not playing it will not hurt the developers at all.
Leushenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #6024
NinjaEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leushenko View Post

'Cause if you think they care whether you actually play it or not then you may be a bit mistaken. Since it's a free game, made as Art for the sake of Art, there are no sales to track. Not playing it will not hurt the developers at all.
Yeah, pretty much this. People'll only hurt themselves by not playing it.
NinjaEngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #6025
Blue Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leushenko View Post

Im not trying to "hurt" anyone, and my lack of participation isnt going to hurt them anyway. I cant enforce anything, nor would I claim such a thing. But I have self respect. We were told many times of release times, at least in years. I have to stand for something.

I remember how everyone was hyped by "a 2009 release that was coming". And a 2006 release, and so on.

So like a lap dog, Im supposed to get let down 15 times over 8 years, but now that a release is finally near Im supposed to jump? While I'm at it should I ask "thank you sir, may I have another"? No thanks.

prophecy holder has the right idea, as I do. Self respect and not allowing one's self to be abused is important.

Last edited by Blue Lightning: 09-03-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Blue Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #6026
Wasted

So when is Xan and DM coming out? From some of the developers quotes it seems like they are barely starting their development. It would really suck if its years before they are released.
Wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #6027
WonderfulLizard

"Xan"

WonderfulLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #6028
pnag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
I have to stand for something.
So you're taking a 'stand' against a free mod? Pretty high minded of you.

Quote:
I remember how everyone was hyped by "a 2009 release that was coming". And a 2006 release, and so on.

So like a lap dog, Im supposed to get let down 15 times over 8 years, but now that a release is finally near Im supposed to jump? While I'm at it should I ask "thank you sir, may I have another"? No thanks.
Who's asking you to do that? All you have to do is play it?

Quote:
prophecy holder has the right idea, as I do. Self respect and not allowing one's self to be abused is important.
Right idea? Just like the people who don't agree with you - it's just an opinion. You're no more 'right' than we necessarily are, but we're keeping an open mind. And if you think waiting on a mod is 'abuse'?!? That's just... Wow... I can't believe the hyperbole some people use.
pnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #6029
freeman4all

Quote:
Im not trying to "hurt" anyone, and my lack of participation isnt going to hurt them anyway. I cant enforce anything, nor would I claim such a thing. But I have self respect. We were told many times of release times, at least in years. I have to stand for something.

So in that case you guys aren't gonna buy HALF-LIFE 3 when it gets released then right...RIGHT?! Because that's what you would call a "double standard". Please just let us enjoy this moment that we've been waiting for years for.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #6030
poutsample

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale06 View Post
lol, many people here have gone from high school kids to college educated adults with families while waiting for this mod.
yeah it trully sucks man. 8 years is a lot of time... interests and hobbies change and the spark of gaming is sometimes lost. At least from what I've seen it won't be such a letdown like DNF...
poutsample is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2 / Source Third-Party Mods