Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box

Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
the_red_man86

Ten Dollars buys you the TF2 xbox 360 updates!!

Don't know if this link has already been posted here but this is an article from Game Cyte dated the 23rd september 2008...

http://www.gamecyte.com/ten-dollars-...60-tf2-updates

I just want the updates now, please valve, pretty please :-)

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Bunta

Cool

That's great news!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
MMXBL

Banned
Ok, so how exactly will people that have the updates play with the people that don't have the updates? Hmmmm, two versions of the game? Valve really needs to get someone in there that knows what they are doing on the console.

Wake me up when they actually know what they are talking about.

Last edited by MMXBL: 10-27-2008 at 07:33 AM.
MMXBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Xeeber

What's the problem? If you don't buy it, no achivements and unlocs. What is it they dont know?
Xeeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
MMXBL

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeeber View Post
What's the problem? If you don't buy it, no achivements and unlocs. What is it they dont know?
You will have two versions of the game... group A will not be able to play group B. It is quite simple.

You buy the updates... your friend does not... you and your friend can't play on any map together because you are basically running two versions of the game. That interview is the same thing they were talking about 6 months ago, to me the whole thing is moot.

Last edited by MMXBL: 10-27-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Xeeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMXBL View Post
You will have two versions of the game...
Just where the hell did you get this crazy idea?
Xeeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
MMXBL

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeeber View Post
Just where the hell did you get this crazy idea?
How do you think it will work? It's not crazy at all. You can't have one player with the updates and another player without the updates. We are not talking maps... we are talking game changes, animations, weapons, etc. How exactly do you think it works... it just doesn't magically just happen. IE basically two version of the game.

Do you think the character changes just by god appear on someone's screen that doesn't have the update?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Moe45673

shouldn't be an issue

I'd imagine those who buy the updates get to play with them, those who don't can play with a, for example, heavy with boxing gloves but will never get them (all can be done through a mandatory game update). And as for maps.... you don't have the map, can't play!

I'd also assume the small map updates, such as the new staircase in Well or the new passage in dustbowl will be free
Moe45673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
MMXBL

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe45673 View Post
shouldn't be an issue

I'd imagine those who buy the updates get to play with them, those who don't can play with a, for example, heavy with boxing gloves but will never get them (all can be done through a mandatory game update). And as for maps.... you don't have the map, can't play!

I'd also assume the small map updates, such as the new staircase in Well or the new passage in dustbowl will be free
Basically, I see it the way you do... mandatory update for all... the problem being those updates are limited in size and than you have teams where some players have better equipped people and some don't, I would think the whole balance thing gets thrown out the window. The maps would than have to be a separate DL... I just don't see this working out. I certainly don't think MS is going to want a 1Gb mandatory download which only people that purchase will be able to use.

We'll see.... I see no easy solution. MS definitely doesn't work like this right now.

Last edited by MMXBL: 10-27-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Geowil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMXBL View Post
How do you think it will work? It's not crazy at all. You can't have one player with the updates and another player without the updates. We are not talking maps... we are talking game changes, animations, weapons, etc. How exactly do you think it works... it just doesn't magically just happen. IE basically two version of the game.

Do you think the character changes just by god appear on someone's screen that doesn't have the update?
well, it would only be an issue if there were new chars/animations/etc that were not present in the older version.

otherwise, assuming the file names remain the same, the older version players would still see the older versions of the chars, and the new version players would see the new version.

if there is new content that didnt exist at all in the old version (this doesnt include updated animations and char models, maps, sounds music etc. IF the said files are named exactly the same as the old ones), then there will be meltdowns.

but yeah the way to fix it is simple, either you get the updates or you cant play. thats one of the golden riles of every mmo out on the net now, they force you to update in order to play.

the problem, as I see it, is maybe they dont force updates on the console versions for TF2, which they should. Most ps3/XB360 games force update checks before they let you do any online playing, strange that Valve would forget a feature like that.
Geowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
MMXBL

Banned
Geowil

Bingo, generally agree.

My experience with XBL is when you sign on it will check for title updates for the title you have in the box.

Generally with XBL you have two types of updates, neither one by themselves solves the problem here. I don't think they can do a subscription type service like mmo either, I think you have to let MS know in advance of release of the product for licensing and also to put it on the box at retail. That is why they tell you on the boxes that XBL is required and then they would also have to tell you that you have to have an additional service.

To me, unless MS drastically does something different... you either have 2 versions of the game where one can't play with the other... or no one gets the update.

Last edited by MMXBL: 10-27-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Ultimate43

you ppl are idiots there will be a mandatory update i assume that will download all the new weapon models and such and then the one you pay for will make the weapons and maps available for you so where are you ppl confused come on use your heads
Old 11-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #13
ZoSo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate43 View Post
you ppl are idiots there will be a mandatory update i assume that will download all the new weapon models and such and then the one you pay for will make the weapons and maps available for you so where are you ppl confused come on use your heads
Are you 12?

Microsoft cares too much about their in money to let that happen. They're not gonna let people download content without paying for it even if they can't access it.

Valve would do it the way you're talking about so that everyone can still play together, but it's not Valve's decision.
ZoSo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #14
MMXBL

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo15 View Post
Are you 12?

Microsoft cares too much about their in money to let that happen. They're not gonna let people download content without paying for it even if they can't access it.

Valve would do it the way you're talking about so that everyone can still play together, but it's not Valve's decision.
He calls everyone an idiot but he has no idea how it works.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
IrateDonnie

The only way I could see it working is to give everyone an update with the new weapons/achievements, and make people pay for the new maps/gamemodes. It would be like Halo and COD4 if you don't have the maps you can't play on them.
I honestly don't think that the 360 version will ever get new content, regardless of how many articles say we are getting it.You would think if we were still getting them by the end of the year we would have heard something by now. Unless that's why the PC version isn't getting any more updades this year, so they can work on the 360 version...I hope.
IrateDonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box