Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
ronnieb555

"Could not connect to Steam network"

Just downloaded the left 4 dead demo then went to play but said there was an error, so I restart Steam and I get the message after trying to log in...
"Could not connect to Steam network. This could be due to a problem with your internet connection, or with the Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info." my internet connection is fine all my other internet based programs work and i have no firewall for Steam, does anyone now what to do to fix or prevent this?
Thanks,
RonnieB555
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Uberskull

I am having a very similar problem, and it also happened during the same day as the Left 4 Dead demo was openly released, though I did not download it. I did not change anything about my firewall or installed any additional software during that time, although I had Avast! and Daemontools installed for quite awhile without any problems. I uninstalled them but it did not solve anything. I have tried Steam's troubleshooting guide, but it does not seem to help.

Could it be because of a Steam update? Are there many other people that got this problem during the same time Left 4 Dead demo was openly released? This is making me rather frustrated I must say

Last edited by Uberskull: 11-12-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
emberlights

Having the same problem as well. Also tried every suggestion, nothing. It would be nice if someone official at least acknowledges there's a problem. I guess we have to wait it out in the mean time.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
zeep

Same since the l4d demo.

I get 'you need to be connected to steam for that ... etc'. TF2 and DOD:S achievements can't open.
zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Omolong

Delete the ClientRegistery.blob file in you root Steam folder (something like: C:/Program Files/Steam/ClientRegistery.blob <- Delete that file)
Omolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
digz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolong View Post
Delete the ClientRegistery.blob file in you root Steam folder (something like: C:/Program Files/Steam/ClientRegistery.blob <- Delete that file)
Doesnt work for everyone
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Rizboel

Quote:
Originally Posted by digz View Post
Doesnt work for everyone
yepp didnt work for me nothing have worked for me so far only option left is Format my whole system even tho i did reinstall vista and i still have the error
Rizboel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolong View Post
well this helped with a completely different problem I had today

so thanks
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
MrMegawac

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having this error aswell. So far I've tried rolling back steam, hard rebooting router and computer, and deleted clientregistry.blob

Problem started today about ~2 hours ago, i dont remember there being an update steam just closed all of the sudden.

Any ideas please help?
MrMegawac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
jordan10la

I'm having this problem too. Anyone have a solution?
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
TheSpydyr

I was having the same problem all night and I just deleted the blob file and when I restarted, it did an update download and then started up just like normal. Hope you guys can get yours figured out.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Monster1558

I am having this problem as well, and I actually did just format, do a fresh install, and I'm still having the problem. I thought it was from a virus, I guess not?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Z3R0_EXiSTeNZ

Unhappy

I've just started to have this issue since the most recent Beta update, I tried deleting the .blob file but it still doesn't work.
Is there a way to set Steam to rollback (not system restore) or to specify it to use the regular client without logging in? (or any other solution to this problem?!)
Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
apw2

I think it will instantly prompt you to update Steam when you connect though.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Axekick

Having this issue now too. Deleting the blob file didn't help.

Edit: NVM, a restart of my PC cleared the issue.

Last edited by Axekick: 10-17-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips