Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
mustacio

Exclamation Steam Friends List Offline Mode (NEED HELP)

been having a problem lately. i been wanting to play left 4 dead alone without talking to my friends as i just want some time to myself sometimes so the usual thing i do is log on steam in offline mode. this works and remains in offline mode, unless i join a multiplayer server. this is my problem, as i want it to remain in offline mode to my friends list but i cant because it automatically logs me in once i join a server. now if i try to go back into offline mode wen im inside a current server i will just be kicked out of it.

how do i keep myself in offline mode and not have it sign me in wen i join multiplayer? because wen i join a server i just look like an jerk because my friends will see me in the game and know i was hiding from them.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Harmatia

This was happening to me as well. very annoying =(
Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Diesel_Power

Can't you set yourself to being viewed as "offline" on your friend's list?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
mustacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Power View Post
Can't you set yourself to being viewed as "offline" on your friend's list?
wow, that question is just too ridiculous for an answer.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustacio View Post
wow, that question is just too ridiculous for an answer.
Same thing happen to be when I asked this question in the Left 4 Dead form. No one could come up with a solution though except play in single player but this is not what the game is about.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Harmatia

Just bumping this. This is a really annoying problem when I want to play Left 4 Dead after I told my girlfriend I'm going to sleep. Blah!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmatia View Post
Just bumping this. This is a really annoying problem when I want to play Left 4 Dead after I told my girlfriend I'm going to sleep. Blah!
Did she message you back wondering what you were doing lol ? I find this annoying as well with Left 4 Dead multiplayer. I know it won't login with single player but the whole point of a game like Left 4 Dead is to play multiplayer!

The first day Left 4 Dead was released and I started playing it I had like 4 messages during my whole game. It did get a little annoying. I don't understand how my friends list will stay logged out in other multiplayer games like Counter Strike Source and TF2 but not Left 4 Dead. Sucks.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #8
ReBoot

Banned
I just found the menu entry for going offline in the friends list. All problems solved.
ReBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Skoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReBoot View Post
I just found the menu entry for going offline in the friends list. All problems solved.
You mean except for the problem this thread is about?

This is annoying. If you are in offline mode it should not automatically change your status. Offline mode is for people who want to be offline, if that means you can't play L4D then the game should tell you so.
Skoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoll View Post

This is annoying. If you are in offline mode it should not automatically change your status. Offline mode is for people who want to be offline, if that means you can't play L4D then the game should tell you so.
Finally another person that understands. Skoll thank for not going with the crowd. I hate how most people follow everyone.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
max2

No one at all?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
cryptodan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoll View Post

Its been known since The Orange Box that Steam Friends being online is an intricate part of tracking achievements.
cryptodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #13
E_Surge

i hate this as well... I can't play L4D (1 or 2) without it auto-signing into the friends list.

One idea that has come to mind is have an 'appear offline' mode but really you're online just.. don't wanna talk to friends etc.

this would solve the achievement tracking issue while solving the friends list 'annoyance' issue.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
xplayman

I just don't play Steam games. Sometimes when I want to be alone I just don't log into Steam at all. Steam is annoying when it comes to the Friends List. Yahoo has an Invisible Mode, why can't Steam?
xplayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Viruzzz

Banned
oh my god you guys are stupid. just set your friends list to be offline, you can still play online games. DUH
Viruzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion