Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 11-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
dammejed

Disable Event Notifications

I hope the title is descriptive enough.

What I want is this: The ability to disable the pop up which happens when a group you're in is about to have an event. I'm in several groups, and I get tons of event pop ups. When I'm doing legitimate work with steam open, I often get flooded with pop ups telling me that an event is just starting. Needless to say this is irritating.

I do enjoy being able to browse through the events, but please, give me the option to disable the pop ups.

Perhaps even make it a per-group option eventually. But first and foremost I want to be able to disable them entirely. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
dammejed

I just noticed a similar thread a year ago that did not turn up in my initial search of the forums. So I'm bumping that one too.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
jubjub64

This would be much appreciated!!
Just an option to turn off these events is all I ask. There might be specific groups that I want to receive events from and so maybe the option to select which groups (some, all or none) I want to receive popup windows for would be great. Or maybe just have it make a noise when one of the groups is having an event so I can decide to check it out or not.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
definitely i would like to AT LEAST option to prevent the POPUP steal focus of actual application (if ingame overlay is disabled it even force you out of fullscreen game) ...

Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Beelzebud

I know this is an old thread, but come on... Add this option.

I'd join a group, but every time I get an event pop-up, it steals focus from whatever other app was running, even if that app is a full screen 3d accelerated game.

I left a group I was in today for the sole reason that the pop ups for group events were just too damn annoying, and messed me up too many times while trying to play games.
Beelzebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Iixo

How is this not a feature? I'm going to have to leave my steam groups because these pop ups are extremely annoying.
Iixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
harkejuice

Yeah, lotsa crappy groups abuse this, every single day do I really need to be reminded that you have the same server up and running?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Dr,Bob

yeah I get offered to join a group and that's cool, but then they beg me to join their server and play, I want to be in the group, but i don't want to have to quit Steam or quit the group to ditch the pop-up, this feature should have been put in a year ago!
Dr,Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
Inverness Moon

Good god these pop ups are annoying. I'm tired of it, and I'm going to have to leave one of my groups because I get pop ups all the damn time.
Inverness Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
Tthorlord

i agree completely, i have quit groups due to the amount of popup notification spam they send.
Tthorlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Mazoch

I have to agree here. I'm about to leave groups that would otherwise like to be part of. It's beyond frustrating to have these pop-ups steal focus from a game your playing.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
zeep

I came searching the forums for a way to disable the event notifications but now it seems that Steam doesn't have the option to disable them?!?

How can that NOT be an option in Steam?? Really devs, just a tickbox saying yes/no to notifications, surely that's not a hefty task?

Please implement it. Don't force users to leave groups because of lacking control features inside Steam.
zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
Dr,Bob

YES!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!! too many people abuse this feature, a checkbox for enable/disabling this
Dr,Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
mwaxx

please update steam to enable blocking of event pop-ups or pop-unders or any pops whatever you call it. It's distracting
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
ryanx27

Bumped because I can't BELIEVE it isn't a option yet. Not only have I quit my groups because of this, I've also stopped running Steam when I'm not gaming.

Come on Valve -- spend a few measly man-hours and make this a feature. Leave the notices on by default so the groups don't , but let the users ultimately decide for themselves!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas