Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #6436
marekfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLinda View Post
Well as my posts gets deleted/censored?...(4 of them) i guess i write it again...
Game: Mirror's Egde
Retail Sweden price: 184 - 249,00 sek ($26 - $35.5)(18 - 24€)
Retail Usa price: 139 sek ($19.96)(13.6€)
Retail Spain price: 203 sek ($29)(19,95€)
Retail United Kingdom:174 sek ($25)(£14.99)(17€)
Sek = Swedish kronor

Steam:
US: $19.99
UK: N/A
EU: 49,99€ (265% higher)
So either i can but it in store much cheaper or get a usa friend to buy it for me and he can even but it for himself and one of his friend i still earn on it
It probably will get deleted again. Steam is becoming the dinosaur again. It seems that certain retailers are catching up to DLC services.

I can tell you that a couple of retailers here are starting to give other stores and DLC services a run for their money. Sales and promotions are regular and the prices are simply too good to pass up.

I guess the naysayers of Steam were right. It's becoming a backwards service and a dinosaur. Not very quick to change, but you're forced to stick with it due to your backlog of games. Eventually you regret having anything to do with it.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #6437
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfklaue View Post
Maybe its hard to understand for you, but with people who have a large collection off games from the Dollar time, getting forced to now see those high Euro prices, and high weekend deal prices. Its insulting. And no, offline mode is no solution, as people have pointed out before, because several games rely on online verification, or online multi player, and plop are the popups.

We will say it again, why is Steam actively blocking people from buying from the other regions ( UK, US ) stores? Is somebody wants to buy from the US store, because they offer a better price, or better dollar/euro conversion prices. That means that the US publisher gets more money. It looks too much like price fixing, by region locking.
Well, I guess I am just not sensitive enough to be bothered by seeing their ads and such, which are quite minimal, when I load Steam for a game. If I saw an ad for a new release and it was too expensive, I would just say "ha, no way Valve" and move on.

This whole thing seems to revolve around personal insults that do not exist. Publisher agreements set the prices, games always cost more in Europe officialy, even if store discounts negate that. If you want the game for cheaper, buy it from somewhere cheaper. End of story.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #6438
marekfreak1

Quote:
Well as my posts gets deleted/censored?...(4 of them) i guess i write it again...
Sek = Swedish kronor

Steam:
So either i can but it in store much cheaper or get a usa friend to buy it for me and he can even but it for himself and one of his friend i still earn on it
LOL I had 2 posts deleted without even a word on why. I didn't do any price comparisons, I didn't link to another site at all. I simply responded and quoted your post and replied to another post. Totally innocent.

Both of my posts were on topic and like I mentioned the posts did not break any TOS. Ahhh well, I guess we will never understand what really goes on in the heads of some ppl.

Well I felt like a bit of COD 4 multilayer action and some guys at work are setting up a LAN party so I need to get my hand on a copy. Steam price 49,99€!!! Ridiculous. I can get it for 30€ new box and half that price second hand. US pricing is something like 25$ on Steam. What the fudge? I still don't understand whats with the huge price discrepancy between regions for year old games?

Last edited by marekfreak1: 09-13-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #6439
epsylon_Z1

Banned
Valve is a private company + financial crysis = $1 = €1
Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #6440
ZEdDJ

Quote:
Sek = Swedish kronor

Steam:
Here in canada retail Mirror's Egde is 19.99$CAD which is a bit less than 20$US. But a few weeks ago you could order it for 7.99$CAD from one of websites that sells games here in Canada.

Anyway it would be crazy paying 49.99€ for Mirror's edge.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #6441
parrot of doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
You obviously have no idea what an oligopoly is, or price fixing, for that matter.
This is not an oligopoly, since Valve is but a single player in a very large market.

Also, Valve are quite able to fix their prices at whatever level they want. There is nothing unlawful or illegal about it.

Please don't try to insult my intelligence again.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #6442
parrot of doom

Quote:
If the road next to your home is in a bad condition, and you take a other road, sure. That also works. But it will not get your road fixed. Thats where the complaining, and whining comes in handy.
The roads in my country are legal rights of way and councils have a statutory duty to maintain them, regardless of use.

Therefore I do not need to complain for them to be repaired. They will be repaired no matter what. A complaint may merely hasten that repair, it will not force it.

Quote:
We know that company's release products in the US for xxx dollar, and use the exact same amount, in euro's, for no good reason ( making the product way more expensive ).
They do it for a very good reason. They do it because people in Europe are prepared to pay more than people in the US.

Quote:
We also know how much they try to limit us from buying products in the US, and letting them be shipped to the EU. Check any major US site, and unless you are in the Army, and stationed here, forget about getting those way cheaper US goods over here ( unless you have a few shortcuts, like somebody who lives in the US ).
They're not legally obliged to sell you anything. They could quite legally tell you to clear off if they wanted, and not sell you the product at all.

Quote:
Steam is just a extension to all this, but, the fact that they suddenly changed the rules on people, and started with the 1$=1€, a lack off communication, and the refusal to lower prices especially on the EU price list, over time ( resulting in those 400 a 500% price differences with retail ).
Their rules. Like it or lump it, its your choice. You want lower prices? Stop using the service.

Quote:
In reality, this probably has no use at all. But if this constant complains bothers at leased one person at Valve, its a start
Valve will look at one thing - profit. If the expected profit drops, they'll take notice. If not, don't expect things to change.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #6443
Simplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot of doom View Post
This is not an oligopoly, since Valve is but a single player in a very large market.
Also, Valve are quite able to fix their prices at whatever level they want. There is nothing unlawful or illegal about it.
I was referring to cellular providers not valve.

Quote:
Please don't try to insult my intelligence again.
If you had it, I'd try to insult it. Nice flamebait, by the way.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #6444
MagrothJ

Sometimes I check the prices on the new games that pop up on Steam. So I did this today on Mini Ninjas:
$29.99
€39.99

I can't do anything else but laugh.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #6445
epsylon_Z1

Banned
X3: Terran Conflict
on Steam: 29,99€
retail: 9.85€
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #6446
dripdropstopdip

Banned
Quote:
They do it for a very good reason. They do it because people in Europe are prepared to pay more than people in the US.
what? based on...?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #6447
sneakbyte

Hi Guys This problem also affects Kiwis and Aussies they pay double on some games cause activision are **** moneygrabbing ****.

BTW COD4 here for us is 49.99 Still with COD4:MW2 just around the corner

Last edited by sneakbyte: 09-15-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #6448
AdiAdrian

Kiwis? New Zealanders maybe? Excuse my ignorance

Well, well, Steam becoming a steam locomotive in the age of maglev trains. Instead of trying to push and support pc gaming on the market (at a fair and correct price) in this console galore times, Valve, the leading bla bla, is throwing down the drain any fairness, credibility, that its left in their Seattle offices.
The only thing that they are doing right is the continuous support for TF2.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #6449
mouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakbyte View Post
Hi Guys This problem also affects Kiwis and Aussies they pay double on some games cause activision are **** moneygrabbing ****.

BTW COD4 here for us is 49.99 Still with COD4:MW2 just around the corner
Australia and it's neighbourhood is a different case entirely, as you are ripped off by the whole gaming industry - retail, online shops - everything is way overpriced, is it not.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #6450
parrot of doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripdropstopdip View Post
what? based on...?
Based on the fact that they're still buying software.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion