Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Predator97

Something Weird

Designed a take on a wildwest town after seeing a map on a server called westwood. However i'm having problems with it where for some reason the walls of the town appear black. I have a 3D skybox configured with the necessities and have appropriate lighting.

Even with a light right next to the texture of the wall the texture appears black unless you are looking at it at a particular angle.

I'll provide a screenshot if further information is needed.

Texture scaling is set to 3 for the X axis and the Y axis.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Blueberry_pie

Sounds like you're using a model material. Model materials use vertex lighting, while world (brush) materials have lightmaps. Find a version of the texture that doesn't have models/ in its filename.
Blueberry_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Predator97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry_pie View Post
Sounds like you're using a model material. Model materials use vertex lighting, while world (brush) materials have lightmaps. Find a version of the texture that doesn't have models/ in its filename.

Actually that may solve my other problem because I remember getting an error in my output talking about a station model or something. This may solve both problems if I am lucky.
Predator97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Craziestdan

But if you want to use that texture you can just make your own vmt for it, one that's lightmappedegeneric. Then problem solved
Craziestdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Predator97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziestdan View Post
But if you want to use that texture you can just make your own vmt for it, one that's lightmappedegeneric. Then problem solved
Good to know I DLed that VTFEdit program today and will be playing around with it. Was tempted to DL the photoshop plugin, but heard some rumors that it wasn't working too well.
Predator97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
Blueberry_pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziestdan View Post
I don't know why people keep suggesting that. Every perfectly tileable model material I've seen already has a world material counterpart. It shouldn't be hard to find if you use the right keywords (wood/ or concrete/ for example).
Blueberry_pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion