Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series

Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Codine

Problem with QuakeGL

I cannot change the resolution AT ALL, not even in ports. I've tried the launch options, even tried to do it on console and it didn't work, it starts up but just crashes. When i try it on ports it'll crash as soon as I change the resolution,
I'm using Vista 32b and I'm pretty confident my rig can handle a monster game like Quake.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Circlestrafe

I just got the id superpak and fired up some good ol' glquake for old times sake. Can't change resolution either, using the old -width x -height x -bpp 32 switches, it just crashes. I'm using winxp pro sp3. I use to edit quake configs and .bat files in my sleep! I'll report back if/when I get it working.
Circlestrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
destructospin

try using the quakeworld ezquake client, or nquake
www.quakeworld.nu
destructospin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Codine

I'm disappointed that the id pack was just a lame cheap way to get money from us. The -x -x command worked for Hexen 2 but not Quake1. Quake2 can simply be changed in game. I even tried running quake in darkplaces and whenever I tried changing the resolution it crashed. So could it be a faulty .exe? I reinstalled and still had the same problem.
Codine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
alien3456

Quake 1 was made for DOS-based Windows, so of course there will be some problems running it on Windows NT systems. That's what source-ports are made for; to update the game to be more compatible and appealing for newer computers. Valve or ID (whoever made the decision to emulate rather than update) don't use those source-ports because they want to present the game as it was originally released. The game was originally intended to be run at 320x240, so anything else is not supported.

I'm happy with the ID Super Pack. $35 bucks for the entire ID catalog is not bad at all, considering Doom 3 alone was $60 not too many years ago. All of the original files are there. If you were going to buy Quake 1 on CD, you'd get exactly what you got from Steam.

Use source-ports.

If you want to play single-player without a bunch of graphical changes:
http://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/

If you want multi-player:
http://nquake.com/

Everyone uses source-ports today. It's the norm.
alien3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Circlestrafe

I don't have some of the original programs (i.e. my quake CD being lost after all these years ), but @ 35 bucks the id superpak is a steal, especially for those who're too young to have experienced these timeless classics during their initial releases. I'll definitely get $35 worth of entertainment out of these games.

I'm downloading the nquake and fitzquake source-ports now.
Circlestrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
DrX69

i have truquake from ati ... it fixes the crash problem.. dont remember where i got it though
DrX69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
djZM

You've probably gotten it to work by now, but if not try doing 16 bpp. I used to have the problem where it would crash my computer on me if I did 32 bpp, despite my video card being more-than-able.. so I've just stuck with 16 ever since..
djZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
m.letcher

I also got the Quake Pack as its quite the classic and still well up in the gaming scores.

However, I'm having some trouble getting it configured in Steam. The GLQuake just dies, though I'd really like to see textures with the 8800-GT card.

I'm also looking for the ini file that points to the CD toi get the original MP3's playing along again. My first CD is at F:, not the D: passed as -cddir. But I haven't found the right setup file yet. Any hints would be appreciated as I've got both the Quake1 and Quake2 CD's and would like to be able to play the soundtracks with the games again.

In fact, this purchase got me to re-install my 'Ultimate Doom' CD again. However, this isn't playing well with Vista-32 either. I suspect it can be fixed, but haven't seen how yet.

Play on. Apparently video games are good for forming neural pathways.
m.letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
icyinferno

I prefer software rendering for Quake1.. seems more nostalgic...
Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Koraxslam

ok assume i'm complete noob and I don't see any readmes on here, how do you install a source port both ingame (when you can) and outside of it (when you can't)?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
MenaceInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koraxslam View Post
ok assume i'm complete noob and I don't see any readmes on here, how do you install a source port both ingame (when you can) and outside of it (when you can't)?
The easiest ways of installing a source port would be to use the patches that I made.

Quake 1 which uses the DarkPlaces source port

Quake 2 which uses the KMQuake2 source port
MenaceInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Koraxslam

i'll give it a whirl, bit of a shame that the mission packs don't work the the original game still does hopeful this patch will sort that out

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quake series