Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Arx Fatalis

Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Nimloc

Patch 1.19 is on GOG.com. Not on Steam? Why?

I sent this to Steam Support on the 7th Jan. Still no reply.

-------------------------

I love steam a lot but it seems a rival company is providing a better service. www.gog.com are selling a more up-to-date version of Arx Fatalis than on Steam.

My bought copy on Steam is Digital Download "Arx Fatalis v1.18" and exhibits problems on the current video cards from ATI and NVIDIA in XP or VISTA - such as the Nvidia 8800 GTX. Issues include light flaring glitches & low frame rates on high-end computers.

On www.gog.com they have the Digital Download "Arx Fatalis v1.19" which is a fully working edition and removes many bugs (see below for changelog). The many issues listed in the steam forums could be solved simply by requesting the latest update from the developers, Arkane Studios.

I thought STEAM promised it would sell the most current editions of games? Can STEAM please confirm this update will be requested from the developers and passed on to your customers?

If this small internet start-up, www.gog.com, can say to games publishers that games sold on the site must be vista compatible as a condition of being sold, then why can't Steam? Selling older games for a budget price must be a huge market - especially in this age of financial turmoil. It looks like this new company are going to do very well judging from the online forums about this issue.

Kind Regards

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/arx_fata...d_to_1_19/20/1

Arx Fatalis English v1.19
-------------------------
- Fixed resolution management on cinemascope bar.
- New flare's occlusion system and optimization on Flare's management.
- Fixed the "done" button on charactersheet which was not working on some resolutions.
- Fixed the text size on the credits.
- Interface isn't scaled.
- Add version string in the menu.
- Drawtext optimization.
- Fixed light rendering on cinematic.
- New resolution enable.
- New timer system for a better interpolation on animation/camera/movement. (see notes for AMD).
- Fixed flare on lights.
- Remove zbuffer lock/unlock (fps win 14%).
- Fixed bug on raycast.
- Collision enhanced.
- Add flare management on cinemascope.
- Add FSAA and AA on font.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
sciss0rz

The developer must send the patch to Valve.

Might something to do with it.
sciss0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
UrielDagda

Man, the fact that they would patch the game for a single vendor while leaving everybody else hanging just blows goats. If I had realised that was going to be the cast, I probably would have just bought it at GOG.. How much you want to bet if I repurchased it there for $10, though, they'd release a patch for the Steam version. Just my luck, too.
UrielDagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
反町(仕事中)

IIRC when this game first turned up on Steam, the developers posted here promising a patch (probably the 1.19 one) for both Steam and retail. But it never turned up for either.
反町(仕事中) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
SniperFox

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciss0rz View Post
The developer must send the patch to Valve.

Might something to do with it.
The problem is, that Valve really doesn't care that much. Valve wants the developers to contact Valve instead of Valve contacting the developer. And there is the problem.

GOG is much more customer aimed, and a little less profit aimed. Valve is a full commercial platform, with little interest for customer support.
SniperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Stixsworld

My mistake...

---Stixsmaster

Last edited by Stixsworld: 01-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
UrielDagda

I tried the GOG version 1.19, it's still broken, just in a different way. The animations look like they are running at around 5fps, while the game itself (looking around, etc) are a smooth 60fps... But if you try to walk around, it's like you are shooting a turbo boost out of your butt.. All you have to do is tap the button forward and you just shoot to the next wall and slam your face on it. You just dart down large hallways at blistering speeds.. Then if you try to fight something, the animations are extremely choppy and slow.

bah!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
Nimloc

Just to let forum members know as of yet there still is no reply from Steam Support to my question above. Not good Steam! I've also emailed Arkane Studio support on this, but no reply there either.

Thanks for all the friendly, informative posts on this thread.

It's very sad to see a favourite game become unplayable isn't it?
Nimloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
CannibalBob

From a little research, it seems 1.18 is the last official patch for Arx Fatalis. It seems 1.19 was some custom patch made for GOG.com. It must be a fan patch, or some sort of hacked patch.

edit: OK this is official but it is not in a standalone form yet.
The fellows at Arkane Studios (developers of Arx Fatalis) have posted on their official site:
http://forum.arkane-studios.com/viewtopic.php?t=251

Hey maybe we should email them. From my experience, never talk to the publishers because they are always clueless. Makes sense; they're not the ones making the software

Last edited by CannibalBob: 01-16-2009 at 04:13 PM.
CannibalBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
UrielDagda

It really doesn't matter.. I have both versions now, and neither one are really playable, for different reasons.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
UK_John

Registered jut to tell you that an Arkane Studio's moderator has said there is no resources for the public 1.19 patch "that was made for GOG Users". This quote tells me GOG did the 'patch' themselves or paid Arkane to make it for them exclusively. In either case, I believe it is against Trading Standards for GOG to call it an 'official 1.19 patch' when in reality it is a GOG fix either made by them or paid for by them. Therefore there will be no public release of the 1.19 patch, the 1.19 patch is not actually the 1.19 patch at all and neither Arkane or GOG had any moral right to take the action they did in this regard. I really cannot believe it is legal, but I am no lawyer.

All I can say, as an original $50 purchaser of Arx Fatalis 7 years ago, I feel very let down by Arkane Studio's and GOG. Why should I,as an original purchase, have to spend another $10 to get the GOG version, just so I can get a working copy?

Needless to say, I will not buy any Arkane Studio or GOG titles in the future. I will use other services like Steam and ebay if I want a particular retro PC title.

Another sad day for PC gamers....
UK_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Nimloc

Thanks for the update and going to the trouble of registering UK_John. It is, as you say, indeed another sad day At least we know now where we stand.

I'm now closer than ever to giving up the whole PC thing and buying an old PACMAN machine
Nimloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
mchufnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
Registered jut to tell you that an Arkane Studio's moderator has said there is no resources for the public 1.19 patch "that was made for GOG Users". This quote tells me GOG did the 'patch' themselves or paid Arkane to make it for them exclusively. In either case, I believe it is against Trading Standards for GOG to call it an 'official 1.19 patch' when in reality it is a GOG fix either made by them or paid for by them. Therefore there will be no public release of the 1.19 patch, the 1.19 patch is not actually the 1.19 patch at all and neither Arkane or GOG had any moral right to take the action they did in this regard. I really cannot believe it is legal, but I am no lawyer.

All I can say, as an original $50 purchaser of Arx Fatalis 7 years ago, I feel very let down by Arkane Studio's and GOG. Why should I,as an original purchase, have to spend another $10 to get the GOG version, just so I can get a working copy?

Needless to say, I will not buy any Arkane Studio or GOG titles in the future. I will use other services like Steam and ebay if I want a particular retro PC title.

Another sad day for PC gamers....
Well if GOG had to pay Arkane to create the 1.19 patch, ask Valve to do the same.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
UK_John

mchufnagel, you'd have to prove GOG paid Arkane, and we haven't even got Valve/Steam to give us or the media sales numbers for the games they sell through Steam,and we've been trying to do that since Steam started all those years ago.... So don't hold your breath.....
UK_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #15
mchufnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
mchufnagel, you'd have to prove GOG paid Arkane, and we haven't even got Valve/Steam to give us or the media sales numbers for the games they sell through Steam,and we've been trying to do that since Steam started all those years ago.... So don't hold your breath.....
OK, lets say that GOG didn't pay for the patch. Why then are you consantly complaining on the GOG boards about it? GOG has nothing to do with it, except selling the game. If Arkane won't release the patch, how could anyone else do so?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Arx Fatalis