Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rayman series

Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
howdyboy59

Black Screen

Hi,

I know that this isn't the most popular game on Steam, but it was on sale and my son loves Rayman. Anyway, if I start a new identity I will see the intro movie, but when it tries to load the game, my screen goes black and stays black. Anyone experience this? Anyone have realistic solution?

My system specs are:

P4 3.2Ghz
2 Gig. RAM
GEFORCE 7600GT (AGP)
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Graylander

I'm getting that problem too. The first time I played it worked, the menu had a pink background instead of the black I now get. But after seeing it was working I shut it down until I had time and now I can't get it to work...
Graylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Graylander

I've tried verifying game files, and have redownloaded it as well. But I can't seem to fix it, I've played with the video options too to no avail. Any suggestions?
Graylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
krocodile

This games seems to have an unfixable issue. I experienced the same problem myself. I was able to get it back to normal by removing two registry keys related to Rayman. One is called Brightness, the other is called Contrast. However oddly enough once I removed these keys, my save game got deleted. Also, again the game works fine until I Quit, and then I am back to the black screen where I cannot see anything I am doing. Rinse and repeat those two registry keys, and again my save game is gone. Major bug for sure.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
krocodile

Normally I try not to reply to my own messages. However shortly after posting this, I found a way to fix this. If you are already experiencing the black screen issue, prepare to lose your save game in order to fix the problem.

Open up the Registry, Windows XP would be START, RUN, REGEDIT. Windows 7 you click on the Windows logo circle where START would be, and type REGEDIT into the search box. (when modifying the registry always make a backup before making any changes)

- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Expand SOFTWARE
- Scroll down and find Ubisoft, expand that key, then expand Rayman4, expand the GUID key (the random numbers and letters separated by dashes), and then click on Basic Video
- On the right, look for the Brightness and Contrast keys. Delete these keys and close the Registry.

Restart the game and you should be able to see everything properly now. Proceed to the main screen, DO NOT start a new game. Click or choose Options, then click or choose Video. Now adjust the Brightness and Contrast controls up one notch from the default. Click or choose Accept The Changes from the menu. Now click or choose Save The Changes from the menu.

At this point immediately go back into the Options again, click or choose Video, now adjust the Brightness and Contrast down one notch back to the default. Click or choose Accept the Changes from the menu, and then click or choose Save The Changes. You should be back at the main menu now.

If for some reason after following the above procedure the mouse stops responding, using the keyboard, go back into Options. Choose Controls from the menu, and from this screen using your keyboard adjust the Mouse Sensitivity and then Accept the Changes. The mouse should work again.

Hope this helps others
Old 06-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
cwangersky

Actually, if you get the black screen with menu text, there is a fix that doesn't lose your saved games. It seems that the very first Save Game sets invalid values for Brightness, Contrast, and controller. If you can see the menu, select Options. Then, go into Video. You'll see that both Brightness and Contrast are set to "F". Set more reasonable values for them -- I use three plungers for brightness, four for contrast, but your mileage may vary. Accept that, then go into Controller, ensure Mouse and Keyboard is set, and bump the mouse sensitivity to two plungers. Accept that, and save your settings. That should have it.
cwangersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
SideStep

Uh, there was a thread bout it?... Still... wtf.
SideStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
dicul

I get a black screen immediately after "Ubisoft Presents"

Anyone know if this game requires SSE2?

edit: Oh duh, this is for Raving Rabbids.

Last edited by dicul: 03-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
dicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Thingstead

SideStep, the problem in the OP was an issue with the Rayman Raving Rabbids game, not Rayman Origins.
Thingstead is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rayman series