Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
Tyrael4

Question Steam Browser not using Flash Player / Java (Vista 64bit)

Hello

When the update first installed, I was thrilled to realize that I could go to youtube while in the in game overlay. However, since that first time I booted up a game with the new Steam Client, youtube flash videos no longer work. It says that I need an updated version of flash player, but my flash player in IE7 is completely up to date. What it says exactly when I try to watch a youtube video is
Quote:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
It seems like the Steam client is attempting to use IE7 64bit, as opposed to normal IE7. In IE7 64bit, I get the exact same error
Quote:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
when I try to watch a youtube video. What baffles me is that it WORKED the very first time, but refuses to work now. I haven't changed any settings in any of my games. For some reason it just no longer works.

For the record I am using Windows Vista 64bit SP1, and even though the browser I normally use is Google Chrome, I do have the latest Flash Player installed and working for my non 64bit IE7.

Any insight into how to fix this? Thank you.

[update] after sleeping for about 3 hours and coming back (insomnia), it seems to be working again. i tried rebooting before i went to sleep, but it didn't resolve the issue. so the bug has randomly decided to fix itself. if anyone has any idea as to what caused it in the first place, i would still appreciate an answer. that way, if it happens again, i know what to do.
thank you

Last edited by Tyrael4: 01-15-2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Well the reason it would not work in 64 bit is that Flash is not supported on IE7 64 bit as far as I am aware - but it should still use the 32 bit IE version.

You are sure that the latest version of flash is installed on the 32 bit IE7?
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
Tyrael4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
Well the reason it would not work in 64 bit is that Flash is not supported on IE7 64 bit as far as I am aware - but it should still use the 32 bit IE version.

You are sure that the latest version of flash is installed on the 32 bit IE7?
I am sure of it, just did it today in fact (it was on like version 9 something, now its on 10 something).

I have discovered how to replicate this bug however.

If I just open the browser and type "youtube.com" into the address bar, the flash on the site will work.

HOWEVER, if I google search for youtube and access the site by clicking the Google search hit, it WON'T work, and until I close the browser and open it again, it stays this way. [For example, I search for youtube on google and click it. Youtube flash won't work. Then I go back to homepage and type youtube.com into the address bar, and the flash still won't work. But close the browser and open it again, and typing youtube.com into the address bar WILL work once more]

Seems to repeat every single time for me, no idea why it's like this, but at least I have figured out how to avoid it.
Tyrael4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
V.C. Sniper

I have the same issue too, and Flash sites will only work if I did what Tyrael described above, including YouTube. Also running Windows Vista 64-bit SP1.
V.C. Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Super_Sonic

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this happens to me too, exactly like Tyrael4 said, has a way to fix it been found?
Super_Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
donhonk

I am also bumping this old thread, I'm looking for a solution too. I wish I could uninstall this IE 64bit piece of crap. Going to youtube through the URL is fine, but I would like it to work all the time through google. Its pretty lame.
donhonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Jezdec

Lightbulb

Please Valve fix this
Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
bulletmagnet123

bump, need solution, my flash works in everything else BUT steam.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
ultradude25

This isn't a 64-bit issue.

It's the trident engines fault. When it hits a single Javascript error, it disables Javascript completely for the rest of the session. That's why Youtube often works once or twice then suddenly doesn't.
ultradude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
PolishWarrior87

so how do we get it to worK?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
ultradude25

You don't use it.

Run in windowed with -noborder and alt+tab to Firefox/Chrome if you must browse the web.

Or if you're in GMod get the In-game Chrome browser addon.
ultradude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
Left4Cake

Actually the flash in the browser works, but it has to be the 1st page you go to (other then the home page) after you load a new window.

So if you get the "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player. " message copy the URL into a new window and it will work.
Left4Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
gamefreaker321

i am having this same problem, just attempted to update flash but it said that i had the latest version. From the sound of things it's the browser and not our software...
gamefreaker321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Rezident

So does Flash still not work on Steam on a 64-bit OS (Windows 7 here)?

On the Steam Store page I still can't view any Flash content, is there any way to fix this?

Until then, no ads for me then.
Rezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Michiel23

i have the same problem, i cannot view video,s in steam it says instal flash player i did like 4 times and it still not works

also using vista ultimate 64 bits
Michiel23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips