Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quantum of Solace

Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
anastaciobrazil

Thumbs down help !!! my qos dont work

my qos wont start i doubel click onh it and it doesnt launch my graphics card are 4870 X2,cpu AMD phenom 9850 quad core, 3GB RAM,windows XP HELLP ME PLS
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
screagles

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling. or possibly running as administrator
Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
rshambar

Question QoS will not launch

Hi, did you ever find the solution to this problem. I have been 'posting' back and fourth with Steam support for 4 days now and still cannot get it working. Sounds similar to your issue,

thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Rob316gold2

i have had this same issue it started when they updates the client 2 weeks ago. since all my other games still work and only this one is disabled then i think the issue is on steams end
Rob316gold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
CalmWind23

"ok guys,this fixed the problem! right form the source. go to add and remove programs,check box for show updates at the top.Scroll down and find explorer 8 security updates,uninstall Internet Explorer Security update KB969897,Reboot try try game. I installed the game again,and it runs fine.All other games seem ok to.Waiting for a response as to what to do with this security update because I am running Explorer 8.But it did fix the game."

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/...px?PageIndex=3
CalmWind23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Rob316gold2

Well that seems like a pain in the . U have a choice either play the game or get the security update. I think Microsoft or Activision need to start on a fix for this, cause that is like thievery right there. All these people who are buying this game through steam cannot take it back to get a refund for a game that Microsoft broke and have yet to fix. And what is worse is that its a games for windows live game. That means microsoft must have some say in how this game operates. I find it funny that an internet security patch will disable a program that has nothing to do with the patch itself or the program the patch was for. This is the only game that has this issue with regards to being a games for windows live game. FIX IT PRONTO.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Rob316gold2

this is weird it looks like microsoft has removed the kb969897 patch and replaced it with another version. i say this because the patch is no longer in the ready to install list in the windows update manager. It looks to have been replaced with KB972260
Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
flaktrooper23

im running retail version and same has happened to me
i reinstalled it and everything double click exe file and nothing happens all my other games run fine
Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
flaktrooper23

argh i cant find the proper security update to delete so i can play the game
has it been changed this is so frustrating
Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Monteverde

Angry BAD DEAL with this Game!

I tried all the advises you post guys, without success!!I'm going to ask to Steam a money refund!!, I have 4 days trying everything, removing updates, reinstaling the game again, reinstalling STEAM, etc, etc. and nothing happends!, Other HELP or advise I will appreciate it!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
glasseye67

I bought the game over the holiday weekend and yes I had the same problem.

The removal of the old security file worked though. I then just did windows update afterward and installed all I needed up to date. It seems the old patch is obsolete.

http://www.tjbd.co.uk/news/games/mic...olace-game.htm

It is a tricky thing as about a year or two ago Dell informed me that certain windows release of security patches can cause a pc to crash pertaining to the boot menu. Which mine did a while back. So be careful. I am more savvy though now on how the system works and how to work around it.

This security patch removal worked though with no trouble and it fixed my game.

Thanks.

Last edited by glasseye67: 12-23-2009 at 05:37 PM.
glasseye67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
glasseye67

I thought I would post a follow-up.

Just delete the file if you can not find another way. I am not telling you to use windows update. I just downloaded 24 update files and it locked up my OS. I knew a way to fix it though.

So do the above with caution.

Its odd with Quantum Of Solace because someday I am sure Microsoft will discontinue support for XP like they did with 95 and 98. Though I still believe the auto update works for 98.

Where does that leave the game?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #13
glasseye67

QOS

Hold on be careful if you do that. I had the game up and running and now it won't startup again. I do not know if it is because of the microsoft files, but my guess is that it is.

The game is installed with 1.1 from Steam.

Looks like I have been taken. The game ran once, but not again. I have been following the story all along. Bit of a let down.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
SammyBoiFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteverde View Post
I tried all the advises you post guys, without success!!I'm going to ask to Steam a money refund!!, I have 4 days trying everything, removing updates, reinstaling the game again, reinstalling STEAM, etc, etc. and nothing happends!, Other HELP or advise I will appreciate it!!!
DO NOT SELL IT

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

The way I fixed it is by downgrading to Explorer 7 and installing Mozilla as mah default browser instead. You also have to delete one of the Explorer 7 security updates occasionally as this stops it from working. To find out which one this is go to control panel>add and remove programs>(at the top of the window click show updates)>when it loads go down to Security updates for Explorer 7 and click remove on any one of them (DO NOT COMPLETE THE UNISTALL YET!) I have forgotten which one it is you have to uninstall for QoS but its the one with least number of programs listed in the list of programs that the unistall says may not work if you uninstall {phew} (if you have found the right one unistall it and resart when prompted) - it may tend to rear its ugly head by reinstalling itself in a windows update (you'll know this when the game won't start. If it does this KILL IT AGAIN AND AGAIN MWAHAHAHAHA

BTW if you do get the name of the update you have to unistall could you reply to this message with its name? At the time of writing this I've just deleted it and I've forgotten which one it is...

Anyway enjoy the game! Its really very good for a movie tie-in and the multiplayer is actually very deep and fun ...

See you out there!
SammyBoiFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
paratech2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmWind23 View Post
"ok guys,this fixed the problem! right form the source. go to add and remove programs,check box for show updates at the top.Scroll down and find explorer 8 security updates,uninstall Internet Explorer Security update KB969897,Reboot try try game. I installed the game again,and it runs fine.All other games seem ok to.Waiting for a response as to what to do with this security update because I am running Explorer 8.But it did fix the game."

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/...px?PageIndex=3
Thanks, this seems to be an issue with the retail version as well!

+ Rep.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quantum of Solace